Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Wanted: Assistant for Stephen Hawking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Assistant for Stephen Hawking

This appears to be a very interesting opportunity (if anyone is interested), and who knows what kind of doors it could open into the future?
    One purpose of the job was to aid the professor in areas which he has difficulty due to his disability, the posting said.
    The 64-year-old scientist uses a wheelchair and communicates with the help of a computer because he suffers from a neurological disorder called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease. He is almost completely paralyzed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science....ap/index.html

I'm very glad he wants someone with a brain. Personal assistants can be treated as "invisible people" on very low pay.
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I've always been mesmerized by Hawking's theories. I cant even image the obstacles that he had to overcome due to his physical condition in order to warrant such worldy acclaim. Simply Astounding!
      Professor Stephen Hawking is to be awarded a prestigious science prize for his outstanding achievements in scientific research.
      The Royal Society's Copley medal was first awarded in 1731 – predating the Nobel Prize by 170 years – and has been awarded to scientific luminaries such as Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein and Louis Pasteur.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/news...ze-$448468.htm

Comment

If you're able you should try and find Hawking, the BBC film about Hawking's early life and career as his illness gradually takes over his life. Benedict Cumberbatch delivers a remarkable performance as Hawking.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks Dave. "A Few Brave Men"
          I have had motor neurone disease for practically all my adult life. Yet it has not prevented me from having a very attractive family, and being successful in my work. This is thanks to the help I have received from Jane, my children, and a large number of other people and organisations. I have been lucky, that my condition has progressed more slowly than is often the case. But it shows that one need not lose hope.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/disable/dindex.html

Comment

Working...
          X