Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

2020 sucks because:

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Sir Sorcerer View Post
    13) Being out of work (in my own case because of art institutions in crisis)
    Echoing J-Sun, I’m sorry you’re going through this and obviously hope it turns around and soon. I really fear that arts are going to take some irreversible hits because of the pandemic. So many venues closing.

    Comment


    • #17
      14 Arts and performance venues closing.

      Comment


      • #18
        15) Elric show being put on hold!! 😡
        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

        Comment


        • #19
          7, 9, & 10 addendum) Having all the work of a full home-schooling family but without the freedom and flexibility. Having three kids in different grade-levels, one of whom is special needs, and having to manage their school provided schedule and follow the woefully inadequate public school curriculum while still being the primary instructor for all of their courses. We are actually going to pull the two youngest from the schools this year and buying our own home-school curricula for them so we can better manage their (and our) schedules and adapt the material to their individual learning styles and needs. It is the only way we can reasonably manage their learning while continuing to work full time.

          16) Working from home. While it is amazing that both my wife and I work in sectors that have not been unduly hurt by the pandemic and have been able to continue to work the reality is that the entire concept of work/life balance has flown out the window and there is no longer any real separation between the two. Work leaks into home-life and home-life bleeds into work.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by EverKing View Post
            7, 9, & 10 addendum)

            16) Working from home. While it is amazing that both my wife and I work in sectors that have not been unduly hurt by the pandemic and have been able to continue to work the reality is that the entire concept of work/life balance has flown out the window and there is no longer any real separation between the two. Work leaks into home-life and home-life bleeds into work.
            +1! I feel this completely!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Doc View Post

              +1! I feel this completely!
              Absolutely! I only have the one kid, but her potential learning disability, which they were legally required to check for and didn’t because apparently a pandemic means educators don’t have to follow the laws, means we’re struggling. At this point I’m still deciding if a private school (which I simply can’t afford) is the best option. She’s falling thru the cracks otherwise. I’m able to work from home... kinda. When education is done, work gets my leftovers. I’m grateful they get I’m spread thin when work is done... I’m done. There’s no hobbies anymore. Just homeschooling and some work.

              this isn’t sustainable. How EverKing and people with more than one kid are doing it is beyond me. I want teachers to be safe, but our entire society is built around kids going to school and parents going to work. Asking dual income households to give up one income to stay home and keep house and educate kids isn’t feasible. An entire generation of kids will educationally and socially fall thru the cracks, but the strain on families that need both incomes will destroy too many.

              the virus is real. I’m not point my fingers at anyone. The whole thing is a mess. The goal was to flatten the curve; we never expected to eliminate it entirely. At some point we have to learn to get back to life as close to normal as we can. We can only kick this can down the road so far.
              "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
              --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                ...this isn’t sustainable. How EverKing and people with more than one kid are doing it is beyond me. I want teachers to be safe, but our entire society is built around kids going to school and parents going to work. Asking dual income households to give up one income to stay home and keep house and educate kids isn’t feasible. An entire generation of kids will educationally and socially fall thru the cracks, but the strain on families that need both incomes will destroy too many.

                the virus is real. I’m not point my fingers at anyone. The whole thing is a mess. The goal was to flatten the curve; we never expected to eliminate it entirely. At some point we have to learn to get back to life as close to normal as we can. We can only kick this can down the road so far.
                This such a tricky situation. I think we have done some good in efforts to flatten the curve but I fear that allowing all the kids back into school with produce a serious spike of viral activity and spread. We are talking about essentially locking hundreds, in some cases thousands, of kids together in a single building. It is an environment almost perfectly designed to spread viruses such as SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza. Limiting the spread through schools is essential to maintain the "flattened curve" even to the small extent we've managed here.

                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

                Comment


                • #23
                  One of the consequences of treating COVID as a political and economic problem rather than a public health problem is that we're now at this perfectly predictable point where we have to balance risk and desire for normalcy. The U.S. should have had this reckoning in March, but we kept pretending otherwise. If we had actually done what we should have done, starting school would still have been problematic, but not like this.

                  Of course the irony for those who asked people to choose between the economy and public health is that the economy wouldn't have cratered as much and as long term if we had locked down. If we had tackled the pandemic first, the economy would already be in serious rebound mode, especially in terms of jobs. (The stock market is not the economy!)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Pales next to kids and economics, but
                    17) uncertainty as to the coming elections
                    Kevin McCabe
                    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I feel #14 the most. I miss live shows. I understand the education side of the circumstances from my wife who teaches kindergarten, but my children are grown.
                      I miss live shows. My son and I share a love of metal. We saw Devin Townsend in March a few days before everything shut down. I had tickets to see King’s X one night and Monster Magnet the next night in April but it didn’t happen.
                      I have friends that are roadies and sound techs who are out of work. I fear many privately owned venues will be forced to shut down. Yeah 2020 is quite a bummer.
                      I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                        Pales next to kids and economics, but
                        17) uncertainty as to the coming elections
                        All of the uncertainty about the elections makes me anxious because of kids and economics. I really feel like the future is at stake. I worry about the world today’s kids (especially my own) will grow up in.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Navigator View Post
                          I feel #14 the most. I miss live shows. I understand the education side of the circumstances from my wife who teaches kindergarten, but my children are grown.
                          I miss live shows. My son and I share a love of metal. We saw Devin Townsend in March a few days before everything shut down. I had tickets to see King’s X one night and Monster Magnet the next night in April but it didn’t happen.
                          I have friends that are roadies and sound techs who are out of work. I fear many privately owned venues will be forced to shut down. Yeah 2020 is quite a bummer.
                          Good luck to your wife as schools reopen.

                          And I hope the smaller venues stay open for you and your son to see shows for many more years. The tech people have really been hit hard.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            18) We still owe taxes, but the government can’t be bothered to open up enough offices to give us our tax refunds.
                            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Trying to interpret the facial expressions of people wearing masks.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Doc View Post
                                Trying to interpret the facial expressions of people wearing masks.
                                Geeze yes. You smile at someone as they walk by, but they just see you being all squinty eyed. It’s freaky.
                                "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                                --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X