Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

2020 sucks because:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 sucks because:

Started this since I threatened to do it. And J-Son threatened to post in it.

1) Social distancing

2) Emailing a list of items to the grocery so they can gather them in a box and hand it over to me in the alley, like some kind of clandestine transfer in a food oriented Stephen Chow movie.

No. Wait. That was actually pretty good. I'm not doing this right, am I?

Comment

3) Politics affecting the general right to health and people being ignored because of politics.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

4) I'm getting fat

Comment

5) people who act like there isn’t a pandemic

Comment

6) Not going to the grocery store. Inspired by entry 2. 😆

Comment

7) homeschooling

to expand: as one educator I know said, online learning works if both parents and kids are motivated. Otherwise it’s subpar and kids fall thru the cracks. And the younger the kid, the harder it is to engage them.

my daughter Calypso (“Cally”) was scheduled to be tested for a learning disability because she had fallen woefully behind. Then they shut down the school. They didn’t test her. And then she didn’t have the time or resources to catch up with her class that she needed. So she’s been signed up to repeat first grade because, despite the West Virginia law that states kids must be tested within 90 days of requesting it... laws don’t apply during a pandemic. Easier to let her fall thru the cracks. So yeah, I’m a bit (read “very”) salty that my kid and her education was one of the casualties of this mess. We’ll get by. I’m paying for tutoring and I’m hoping we can fight to get her into second grade. Maybe it’ll happen. Maybe we can get her dyslexia or whatever diagnosed in time.

homeschooling without proper resources is the worst
              "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
              --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

8) I can’t do email at my coffee shop.

Yes, it’s a first world problem. After my previous post, I felt this was a bit more... lighthearted? 🤷🏻‍♂️
                "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

9) Repeating because parental nightmare:

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                  7) ...

my daughter Calypso (“Cally”) was scheduled to be tested for a learning disability because she had fallen woefully behind. Then they shut down the school. They didn’t test her. And then she didn’t have the time or resources to catch up with her class that she needed. So she’s been signed up to repeat first grade because, despite the West Virginia law that states kids must be tested within 90 days of requesting it... laws don’t apply during a pandemic. Easier to let her fall thru the cracks. So yeah, I’m a bit (read “very”) salty that my kid and her education was one of the casualties of this mess. We’ll get by. I’m paying for tutoring and I’m hoping we can fight to get her into second grade. Maybe it’ll happen. Maybe we can get her dyslexia or whatever diagnosed in time.

homeschooling without proper resources is the worst
                  It was online homeschooling up her for a while, followed by the option to return to class a couple days a week. It wasn't as good as pre-covid schooling, but I thought they did well enough given the circumstances. We have our problems but I think the policy and belief here is that holding students back is worse than not.

Here's hoping you and your daughter can overcome all the hurdles in your way.
                  Last edited by Heresiologist; 08-11-2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

10) Agreeing with 7 and 9. Except in our case trying to keep the momentum for a preschooler who was just learning to read and write.

And good luck J-Sun! It’s tough for dyslexic learners in the best of times, and I can’t imagine what it would be like to have to manage home learning on too of it.

Comment

11) People who announce that they have so much extra time because they are working at home (when I feel like I have far less).

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                        11) People who announce that they have so much extra time because they are working at home (when I feel like I have far less).
                        I have far less as well. As a pastor, I thought I’d have much more time because we have drastically reduced church services. But... homeschooling and stay-at-home-dad has me run ragged.

Comment

12) DC comics just had a bloodbath of firings. I love comics. I’m more of a marvel guy, but I’m a big believer that competition makes for better comics, and I’m terrified to see how firing 1/3 of DC’s staff will affect the industry.

Comment

13) Being out of work (in my own case because of art institutions in crisis)

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Sorcerer View Post
                              13) Being out of work (in my own case because of art institutions in crisis)
                              I’m so sorry. Every time I think I have it rough, I remind myself I didn’t lose my job in this mess. I can’t begin to imagine how rough it has been on so many people.

Comment

Working...
                              X