Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Joys of political correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

I think the chances are good, especially since I'm just rewarding choices they're making on their own. They do like the thrill of rolling 20 siders for combat, though.

I mean, really who doesn’t?

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post

Yes, Sorry about that. We are doing some renovation around the house that has kept me pretty busy and away from the computer except in short bursts.
      All kidding with good spirits. Hopefully your renovations are going well. Compound mitre saws are as addictive as some drugs...

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
        I would not really be so offended should they do that, it would be at least a kind acknowledgment that we exist. But as I said words are merely words. Do you remember when I told you about the "I hate the middle class" video from Marilena Chaui? That is kind of offensive for me, the action, the speech ( and the fact I had to read one of her books when I was in college was the worst of course ). Ok, if they name a star "fat ugly Brazilian Daniel Star" it wouldn't still be offensive. But if they write an article saying "that guy Daniel, he is an idiot. We think all he did in his life was stupid".
        Alright, we're all lost in the analogies and metaphors. Let me put it this way, for many of the people on the receiving end of it the name of the nebula in question is a lot like the n word in that anybody who uses the e word better damn well be an e.

There is a whole shitty historical context to the term such that it might as well embody all the derogatoriness of M. Chaui's statement, and more. So much more. It's not the middle class daughter of middle class parents saying mean words about the middle class, it's a word from ethnic and cultural outsiders who did terrible things to them. For a very long time. Stuff that ended up part of a truth and reconciliation commission. Stuff that one of the T&RC commissioners said left her "completely shaken by the depths of the capability of human depravity" (source: Joe Sacco, Paying the Land).

So, that mere word carries an awful weight for some people.

But, you know, it's still pretty easy to turn mere words into useful tools. Like, you could have plugged a few words into the google, run a query or three, and got an inkling about why somebody wouldn't like that word, much less like seeing it enshrined in the sky. Instead, it looks like your eagerness to ridicule some "pearls" of political correctness meant you never bothered to take even a cursory look into the situation.

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
        Please again place all this under a big IMO.
        Oh, man. Sorry, but not sorry, this time Ellison himself provides the rebuttal:

Last edited by Heresiologist; 08-11-2020, 01:12 AM.

Comment

But, you know, it's still pretty easy to turn mere words into useful tools. Like, you could have plugged a few words into the google, run a query or three, and got an inkling about why somebody wouldn't like that word, much less like seeing it enshrined in the sky. Instead, it looks like your eagerness to ridicule some "pearls" of political correctness meant you never bothered to take even a cursory look into the situation.
          Oh, man. Sorry, but not sorry, this time Ellison himself provides the rebuttal:

I will watch the video later but I have never read anything by him except two comics ( which liked it a lot ) and I actually love starlost but he hated it.
          Speaking of the pearls, I am definitely happy with what I have said until now. Looks I will repeat myself more and more.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Ellison really was a genius. I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream was a big reason I read science fiction. And he knew how to slap people down.

With respect to terminology, when a group labels another group, that is always an attempt to exercise power. When it sticks, it is an action of dominance (and, by default, subordination—often with resistance). When a group re-claims the name, an outsider—especially a member of a powerful group— trying to use it is always engaging in cultural appropriation at best, certainly an -ism at worst.
            Last edited by Doc; 08-11-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

And they attack again!

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/...st-vox-debate/

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Interesting article. Too bad the author had to spend half of it explaining then debunking claims by right wing outrage merchants that the "left" is trying to cancel Beethoven. But it was kind of funny when the author said it seemed that a headline alone triggered the accusations and attacks. Seems to be a common problem from that end of the political spectrum.

The more interesting part concerned the change in audience behaviours from Beethoven's time until today and how it went from rowdy and enthusiastic during and after Beethoven's life to polite and refined during the 19th century and continuing so until today. Makes me think of Ken Russel's Liztomania.

Comment

Interesting article. Too bad the author had to spend half of it explaining then debunking claims by right wing outrage merchants that the "left" is trying to cancel Beethoven. But it was kind of funny when the author said it seemed that a headline alone triggered the accusations and attacks. Seems to be a common problem from that end of the political spectrum.
                  Set up a straw man, instigate outrage, play the victim, instigate more outrage, repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post

Set up a straw man, instigate outrage, play the victim, instigate more outrage, repeat.
                    Judging by the examples in the article, it looks like the real joy of political correctness is manufacturing then monetizing outrage against it.

Comment

Judging by the examples in the article, it looks like the real joy of political correctness is manufacturing then monetizing outrage against it.
                      See The Daily Mail as a prime example.

Comment

A few more nice examples

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2011/10/0...ness-gone-mad/

Enjoy!

Comment

Vox doing the "PC apologetics"

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/28/793084...s-doesnt-exist

Comment

This one is also a good source of fun

https://www.bustle.com/p/7-gender-ne...-using-9565996

Hopefully, it is an attempt on parody just like the recent "Ferris Bueller canceling" trend.

Comment

All one needs do is remember it was the right wing's version of political correctness that got James Gunn fired from working on Guardians of the Galaxy III.

More recently it is right wing political correctness calling for canceling Netflix because of the movie Cuties (and wanting to ban the film). Or trying to boycott Dolly Parton for having the wrong opinion.

Then there's right wing political correctness getting all bent out of shape and attacking Cardi B over WAP. Which is particularly on point for this thread, seeing as it started out with a link pointing the finger at some lesbian who is against penis in vagina. Pity the poor right wing man when it comes to women, caught like Goldilocks between too hot and too cold, never just baby bear right.
                              Last edited by Heresiologist; 09-27-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Heresiologist]Then there's right wing political correctness getting all bent out of shape and attacking Cardi B over WAP.[QUOTE]

Well, to be specific H it is mainly the Religious Reich for whom any well built individual in a catsuit is pure visual Kryptonite. Heh...i've just thought of something to add to my bucket list though i won't go into details here!😏
                                Last edited by Kymba334; 09-28-2020, 12:01 AM.
                                Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X