Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rolling In The Ruins - Dealing With The Coronavirus Pandemic As Best We All Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post

There have been a couple of fund raising initiatives in the UK in the last few weeks that have produced stunning results.

A 99 year old WWII veteran called Captain Tom Moore walked 100 laps of the garden of his care home in the hope of raising £1000 for charities helping doctors and nurses working in out NHS. To date, Captain Tom has raised £26m, and to celebrate his 100th birthday on Thursday of this week the Royal Mail are stamping all letters and parcels sent that day with a commemorative mark.

Each year in the UK we have two telethons to raise money for charity; Comic Relief (Red Nose Day) and BBC Children in Need. Last week the BBC did the Big Night In, an evening of crap comedy on the TV that raised an astonishing £33m. The government have matched that number, creating a total of £67m.

The 70m people in the UK have raised £93m in a month for people worst affected by the Corvid virus. Not bad for a clapped-out post-imperial, post-Brexit island hanging off the coat tails of America.

It is very good to know about it PV. I am not sure if this would work here in Brazil. I have seen fundraiser campaigns here in Brazil before the pandemic shit. I think this time it should be something bigger and faster. I don't want to rely on the fuckin politicians promising to help. Not to aid me, I can work from home and still buy stuff. I have a good health insurance plan provided by my employer. And I just have to keep reminding myself that a lot of us here don't have the same luck as me. It is insane that I feel good about my situation and don't do anything.

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Ah...Zlogdan, your heart is in the right place but the short answer is that to maintain yourself and protect your family through this current nightmare is all that is truly in your power in this dire year of 2020.

Little to say about how this current pandemic has affected my lifestyle.
      I'm just constant K in my ( isolation ) cell now interlinked with some other cells in these parts.
      Oh...like Ryan Gosling himself i have a thousand yard stare that might be able to slowly degrade wallpaper.

A bit more nuance here.
      Helping others is always worthy. In the current situation we all face my view is this :
      If you have the means and the skills to affect change from your own home that is a good thing indeed.
      However, even in a relatively stable country like mine just going outside entails serious personal risk so think and plan ahead before joining the fray.

Take good care everyone.

Btw an update from the U.S.A by Stephen Colbert:
      https://youtu.be/D9l1M_6MNxw

Last edited by Kymba334; 04-28-2020, 09:14 AM.
      Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
        Ah...Zlogdan, your heart is in the right place but the short answer is that to maintain yourself and protect your family through this current nightmare is all that is truly in your power in this dire year of 2020.

Little to say about how this current pandemic has affected my lifestyle.
        I'm just constant K in my ( isolation ) cell now interlinked with some other cells in these parts.
        Oh...like Ryan Gosling himself i have a thousand yard stare that might be able to slowly degrade wallpaper.

A bit more nuance here.
        Helping others is always worthy. In the current situation we all face my view is this :
        If you have the means and the skills to affect change from your own home that is a good thing indeed.
        However, even in a relatively stable country like mine just going outside entails serious personal risk so think and plan ahead before joining the fray.

Take good care everyone.

Btw an update from the U.S.A by Stephen Colbert:
        https://youtu.be/D9l1M_6MNxw

Hey bro, I am glad you are safe.

Thanks for the thoughts, much-appreciated man. I have bought the Thomas Disch book you once recommended me, On Wings of Song, but I have not read it yet.
        Gene Wolfe, who became my favorite author in these 5 years hiatus of the miscellany used to say that Disch was one of his favorite authors, so I should read it one of these days.
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Reporting in to say so far so good in this corner of the global situation.

As for dealing with the pandemic...

Since my daughter's school has shifted to doing a lot of online learning, she uses my computer for much of the day and since I do most of the cooking, cleaning etc. there's not much time for paid work (even if I can work remotely). Fortunately, the better half can work remotely and makes way more than I ever have.

About 40 minutes ago the household grabbed pots and ladles for the nightly pot banging ritual in support of Doctor Bonnie (our provincial health officer) and her Frontline Army. Not everybody in the neighbourhood does it, but enough. Some nights it is fun to hear the clanging erupting from distant neighbourhoods. There's been talk of at least three households bringing out guitars to add to the support noise.

Tomorrow I will likely walk to a nearby farmers market for supplies. It was never shut down. Instead they divvied it up into three zones, limited the number of people allowed into each, and practiced social distancing. It's more expensive, but those global supply chains have shown some unreliability of late. Hell, if I decided I needed some more boardgames I can even go to the local game store since they stayed open by virtue, I guess, of only allowing two customers at a time into the store.

We get a lot of food delivered now, but the other week I was cleared to pick up some food from a local grocery market. They don't have an online store but if you don't want to risk going inside you can email them a list and they'll put it in a box and hand it to you in the alley.

When I went to get the groceries I was a bit surprised at how many people were out and about, but since nobody from municipal or provincial levels of government are complaining about it, I guess its okay(ish). We're not doing New Zealand levels of good, but "the curve" started flattening out weeks ago so there is talk of cautiously lifting restrictions.

Stay safe everybody

Oh, and here's a public service announcement from Vietnam:

Comment

I was up on Vancouver Island for a lark in early March. My car finally cashed in its chips after 295,000 miles about 30 miles out on forest roads. More to tow and fix than its value, so I flew to the city of Vancouver. While I was waiting to catch a train to the bus station, Justin Trudeau announced his wife had Covid-19 and they were going into isolation. A couple of days later I saw a picture of a hospital in NYC. I recognized it because I passed it traveling from Jamaica Station to LaGuardia last September. It was Elmhurst in Queens. I listened closer. They were reporting about a refrigerator truck backing up to take on bodies. That was my damn, this is bad, really bad, moment. At that moment in time, we were the epicenter, though New York passed us in a wrk or so.The governor of my state moved fast and quickly put drastic restrictions in place. But, we still can go to the grocery store (though I do curbside pickup because the stores are packed) and go for walks for exercise. We’re still there, though the Boeing Airplane company opened back up after a couple weeks ago under federal essential industries. We’re really lucky Governor Inslee’s first priority is saving lives and that he makes data driven decisions. Especially considering the moron president. We will have slightly more freedom of movement next week, as we are allowed to go hiking. This is the first of four phases in re-opening and also allows work to resume on existing construction with proper social distancing observed and and the resumption of elective surgeries. He expects three weeks between phases, but will only proceed if the numbers justify it. Also, we have ten counties that have very small populations that have had few or no cases and that have adequate hospital capacity should things go sideways. He will grant them variances to go faster. But, he’ll also dial it all back if necessary. There have been some protests, but they’re small (typical mix of white supremacists, swastikas, confederate flags, anti-vaxxers, and various teabaggers and Trump supporters). Gotta hand it to Governor Inslee, the local press is trying to stir things up, they’ve lost a lot of advertising revenue. When they tried to badger him about the protests, he just said that he knew one thing, if a thousand protesters showed up, that meant 5,999,000 Washingtonians agreed with him and wanted to beat the virus. For myself, I’m off work until 5/25 for non-covid medical leave. Lot of books, movies, and tv with daily walks by Puget Sound. My dad comes over every other day and nothing bad has happened to any of my family here or in NYC. Life is fine except for the orange idiot and his red shirts. I really feel for people in the red states. Their rural nature pretty much assured they would get hit slower. At the rate they are opening, they are pretty much assuring a very steep rise in deaths, now that it is making it out to the countryside. According to the doctors heading up the small rural hospitals, they have next to no ability to respond. I have a bad feeling we’ll see New York and New Jersey death rates with good, but beleaguered governors like Michigan and total fuckwits like Georgia and the Dakotas. Stay safe folks.
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
              I was up on Vancouver Island for a lark in early March. My car finally cashed in its chips after 295,000 miles about 30 miles out on forest roads. More to tow and fix than its value, so I flew to the city of Vancouver. While I was waiting to catch a train to the bus station, Justin Trudeau announced his wife had Covid-19 and they were going into isolation.
              Whoa, dude! If I remember right (note: covid-19 time dilation in effect) BC had already declared a state of emergency by the time of that announcement. Glad you made it out safe and sound.

As Doctor Bonnie (Henry) says up here: "Be kind, be calm and stay safe."

Comment

The tax of growth here in Brazil is increasing because the expected worst took place: 50% of the people are not staying home. Some use the excuse they need to work while a lot of people are being not careful enough for different reasons. It is hard to convince the people from the poorest parts to stay home because they need to work and there are many employers making them work.
                The government supplied them 600 reais ( 120 us dollars ) which may help those who were living in near misery levels, but the major part of the population cannot live with these 120 dollars.

Unlike what most people might think slums/favelas are safer than the average poorest neighborhoods because they are self-organized. Peripheral neighborhoods are the ones that are under major risk now because they contain the majority of the population here in Sao Paulo area and most of them don't have the privilege of working from home like me. So in truth, I am not sure how this will go since a lot of people will need to leave home and work at the exact time the virus rate of infection grows faster.

I run some calculations every day and yesterday I got the worst results. I use polynomial regressions to be more accurate so the final curve changes every day. I hope yesterday was a not typical day.

We leave home sometimes to go to the market, doctors, or pharmacies. Since last Friday my town made mandatory that everybody needs to wear masks outside homes.

My kids are going back to have classes in a few days but remote classes.

Comment

Thank you for the insight into what Brazil is dealing with. Here in New Jersey we have very divisive (and often aggressively expressed) attitudes because we have a Democratic governor in a state that has a large Republican population. And because early in the year some people blamed one political party for making a virus mountain out of a fake mole hill, even with 100,000+ deaths (in the US) they are still in denial of how dangerous this virus is. As a result they verbally attack those who put restrictions in place, and mock precautions such as social distancing and mask wearing as pure hype that's robbing them of their freedoms and purposely destroying the economy. I do not involve myself in politics so I ignore any propaganda coming from the various political factions, but I am an intelligent human being, and as such I can see with my eyes and hear with my ears how deadly this virus is, and it shouldn't be used as a political weapon. New Jersey has been hit hard, and the state DID take precautions very early into this - had they not our infection and death rates could be double (NJ is the most densely populated state in the US). People want the state to reopen all businesses, but I also saw how early on many food-processing plants in other states didn't modify their production and facilities, nor did they give sick people time off, and as a result so many employees became ill that they had to shut down their plants anyway. It really has been a mess here in the States because the messages have been all over the place, with each state making their own plans while there's no real federal oversight because of all the pettiness going on.

In the end we have a lot of middle-class and affluent people who have had every warning but are refusing to take precautions or obey restrictions because they somehow see these precautions as an attack on their freedom and on their political party. We have others - young people, mostly - who think they're invincible, or they feel like 'you gotta go sometime'. But they aren't thinking of the other people they may be taking with them, people who didn't want to die. We just had a holiday weekend and people in many parts of the country ignored the warnings and gathered in large groups at the beach, pools, and other areas. Only time will tell if it has an impact on the number of infections.

das
                  Last edited by dasNdanger; 05-28-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

The restrictions here in Spain were pretty severe but they worked . No more than one person permitted in a vehicle ( 1,000 euro on the spot fine ) , no unnecessary journeys , practically everything closed and the Guardia Civil/Police out in force . One of Xiombarg Junior's school friends( he's 17 ) was bored and decided to leave the house to go for a walk .....he was stopped by the Guardia Civil , taken directly home and his father had to pay a 600 euro on the spot fine , he was told if he did it again he would be in the cells . The Chaos Queen drove into town to pick up a prescrtiption for me from the chemist , she was stopped on the way there and again by the same officers on the way back , she had to show the receipt and remain masked up . I have no problems with the restrictions if it will put an end to this virus however I am probably as angry as many other people at Boris Johnson's chief adviser thinking he can do what he likes and ignore the UK restrictions , now when the UK government tells people to abide the rules they have no credibility . Anyway , I have found a Moonbeam Path direct from here to The Moorcock Inn , I can buy a return ticket on the socially distanced monorail.....the lager better still be cold

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by white wolf's son View Post
                      The restrictions here in Spain were pretty severe but they worked . No more than one person permitted in a vehicle ( 1,000 euro on the spot fine ) , no unnecessary journeys , practically everything closed and the Guardia Civil/Police out in force . One of Xiombarg Junior's school friends( he's 17 ) was bored and decided to leave the house to go for a walk .....he was stopped by the Guardia Civil , taken directly home and his father had to pay a 600 euro on the spot fine , he was told if he did it again he would be in the cells . The Chaos Queen drove into town to pick up a prescrtiption for me from the chemist , she was stopped on the way there and again by the same officers on the way back , she had to show the receipt and remain masked up . I have no problems with the restrictions if it will put an end to this virus however I am probably as angry as many other people at Boris Johnson's chief adviser thinking he can do what he likes and ignore the UK restrictions , now when the UK government tells people to abide the rules they have no credibility . Anyway , I have found a Moonbeam Path direct from here to The Moorcock Inn , I can buy a return ticket on the socially distanced monorail.....the lager better still be cold
                      Here in Brazil, things are a complete mess. We are certainly not sure of the depths of the pandemic as Brazil is a large country. Also, in my state, the governor has given away to the will of the so-called businessmen and it has started opening stores and malls which is insane.

Some people are so fed up about staying at home, like my wife, that she thinks it is ok to leave and visit friends. The governor was considering a full lockdown 10 days ago and now he is more into making things more flexible.

It does not help that our president, who I voted for in a moment of complete lunacy, tries to ignore the disease and doing what he thinks to be better not what specialists say. Basically what they think is:

Some people will die and it is fine!
                      It is worth taking the risk because the economy will go down under a lockdown.

We have perhaps the most greedy businessman and store owners in the world so they fire people and threaten others so the ones that cannot stay home are obligated to go to work.
                      And it is hard to avoid disagreeing that they are not right because nobody is going to pay their bills, nobody is going to help.

Don't even mention the banks and governmental help.

They are ready to suck the blood from our necks.

This country is faded to sink.

Comment

The greedy minority safe in their cocooned townhouses....because I was so ill , my body still hasn't recovered yet therefore the doctor told me I am confined completely to barracks as I am at high risk...10 weeks later I am about to go stir crazy but I understand and if I did go out then brought the virus back home with everyone else infected , that would be madness . I have my Man Cave up stairs , computer , dvd , x box , old VHS video player , books and comics but I am going through books at a mad rate , amazon won't be able to keep up ! Hope things improve for you in Brazil .

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X