Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rolling In The Ruins - Dealing With The Coronavirus Pandemic As Best We All Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found RDPing into my work machine was far tool laggy / too many dropouts: so went and got the machine and took it home. I still have to VPN in to get access to the internal network but it's much better than before.

Comment

Keeping kids going has not been too tricky for us (yet). So another lucky strike for us. Much love to all those who are having a trying time!

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
        I found RDPing into my work machine was far tool laggy / too many dropouts: so went and got the machine and took it home.
        Unfortunately this is not an option for me. Developing "Apps for SharePoint" requires the development to take place on the server with SharePoint installed (well, the Developer SharePoint Web Application in any case, not the Production SharePoint server) and since we run VMWare vSphere for many of our servers I can't very well bring them home 😏
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

porcus_volans and zlogdan , even though you are both non-US, I thought you'd find this interesting: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/busin...rnd/index.html
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
            porcus_volans and zlogdan , even though you are both non-US, I thought you'd find this interesting: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/busin...rnd/index.html
            Yeah, Cobol is still a fundamental tool. thanks for the link!
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Saw that the other day. It would be funny if it wasn’t a familiar story in the UK too.

Comment

Just dropping this here. An article about my friend: https://m.startribune.com/he-s-an-ir...him/569761222/
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Just dropping this here. An article about my friend: https://m.startribune.com/he-s-an-ir...him/569761222/
                  Crikey!

Comment

Good to know he is fine. It is a message to people denying the pandemia.
                    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Absolutely. I think his story is one all of these nay-sayers with the "never happen to me" attitude need to read.
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Absolutely. I think his story is one all of these nay-sayers with the "never happen to me" attitude need to read.
                        I know also of similar stories here in Brazil.

Comment

Hi all. Hope we're all hanging in there still.

Still working from home and expect to be for a couple of months at least.
                          Like has been said by Zlogdan, IT workers are hit less than others, which is a blessing for me at least

There is talk of relaxing the the rules a bit here in Australia, but we need several weeks of flatlining Corona Virus numbers for a while more.

Overall, Australia is doing pretty well comparatively speaking with other countries. Of course our economy will be hit really hard after all the huge amounts of spending that our Government has needed to do. But then most countries are in the same boat.

I'm more or less recovered from surgery and trying to get more active to lose some weight. This being housebound has stacked on a few pounds lol!

Hope your friend is doing OK Everking.

Comment

I have been thinking I suppose it is possible that we may have around 100 000 000 people in this world that can afford 10 dollars now. This gives us 10 billion dollars.
                            I am not sure how practical this is or if it is doable but imagine if we can have all this money donated. I feel extremely guilty because I cannot help much right now.

Comment

While I don't think it's a bad idea for people to read the story (btw, thanks for posting it), I don't expect it would change many minds in the denier/nay-sayer camp. People invested in beliefs like that tend to "double-down" on them when confronted with evidence counter to what they "know".

Worse, the story already has plenty of grist for their mills of delusion. For instance:
                              • It's the lamestream media, therefore fake news
                              • 65 cases out of 7 billion? It's all over-hyped, the chances are practically zero
                              • Guy's obviously another one of those crisis actors like at Sandy Hook
                              • Human trafficking?!?!? Clearly, he was taken to the dungeon under the pizza store and mind controlled by Hillary Clinton and her pedo-ring
                              And even if they don't have some tortured reason to keep the faith, there's always the "there's more important things than living" fall back recently put forth by Texas' lieutenant governor.

Sadly, some parts of the world are well into, to mangle a quote from WW1, "Where does egregious dumbfuckery end and crime begin?" territory.

Stay safe everybody.

And here's hoping EverKing's friend hasn't had his lungs or anything irreparably damaged by the virus' tiger germ rampage through his lungs and body.
                              Last edited by Heresiologist; 04-23-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                                I have been thinking I suppose it is possible that we may have around 100 000 000 people in this world that can afford 10 dollars now. This gives us 10 billion dollars.
                                I am not sure how practical this is or if it is doable but imagine if we can have all this money donated. I feel extremely guilty because I cannot help much right now.
                                There have been a couple of fund raising initiatives in the UK in the last few weeks that have produced stunning results.

A 99 year old WWII veteran called Captain Tom Moore walked 100 laps of the garden of his care home in the hope of raising £1000 for charities helping doctors and nurses working in out NHS. To date, Captain Tom has raised £26m, and to celebrate his 100th birthday on Thursday of this week the Royal Mail are stamping all letters and parcels sent that day with a commemorative mark.

Each year in the UK we have two telethons to raise money for charity; Comic Relief (Red Nose Day) and BBC Children in Need. Last week the BBC did the Big Night In, an evening of crap comedy on the TV that raised an astonishing £33m. The government have matched that number, creating a total of £67m.

The 70m people in the UK have raised £93m in a month for people worst affected by the Corvid virus. Not bad for a clapped-out post-imperial, post-Brexit island hanging off the coat tails of America.

Comment

Working...
                                X