Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rolling In The Ruins - Dealing With The Coronavirus Pandemic As Best We All Can

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Pv, mainframe Cobol is the truest of the truest.
    The company I work for, FiS, has many Cobol based products.
    Most banks in Brazil, at least the major ones still have their core operation based on Cobol.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

    Comment


    • #17
      Most of our corporate systems are IBM iSeries with XA, RPG, etc. I am starting to work on more user friendly Web UI and data integrations for them with our SQL engineering and network systems using XA Web Services, ODBC, and the like as appropriate.

      Back on topic, though, it sounds like Minnesota will soon be issuing a statewide "Shelter in Place" order. My company is an essential vendor for many food and beverage producers around the world, though, so we will continue operating as close to maximum as we can. One good thing is that working from home is working better than I had hoped so far. The kids are actually being respectful of my space and need for concentration.
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

      Comment


      • #18
        Before the crisis, I used to work from home every Friday so I was used to working in this way. My kids are 14 and 17 and I have to drag them by force from what they are doing so they talk to their parents. My wife is ok with it too.

        Nobody mentioned shelter in place yet here in Brazil perhaps because it will cause chaos but thanks for governors and mayors there seem to be a lot of actions to help the population.

        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

        Comment


        • #19
          I have the Dungeoneer books ( I have two hardcopies and I bought the pdfs - I really bought them ) and I want to play it with my kids.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

          Comment


          • #20
            Congrats on your retirement PV! I hope you enjoy it.
            "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
            'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
              Congrats on your retirement PV! I hope you enjoy it.
              Thanks. It’s got off to a bit of a ropey start but I’m sure it will settle down once the current situation has resolved itself.

              We have plans in place for various ventures, mostly involving travelling and writing. We may just have to delay them for a year but that’s not the end of the world.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                ... but that’s not the end of the world.
                Depends on how much you believe what is said in American Media. 😒
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                  Pv, mainframe Cobol is the truest of the truest.
                  The company I work for, FiS, has many Cobol based products.
                  Most banks in Brazil, at least the major ones still have their core operation based on Cobol.
                  If you lived in London at the turn of the millennium there was a good chance that all three of your utility bills were produced on CICS, COBOL, DB2 systems that I was involved in designing.

                  I was recruited into IBM in 1995 as a utility industry specialist on the back of a four year spell at London’s water company designing, implementing and running their brand new, and completely terrible, Customer Information System. Oh, the tales I could tell of working with Andersen Consulting (Accenture before ENRON).

                  The fun we had...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by EverKing View Post

                    Depends on how much you believe what is said in American Media. 😒
                    We have our own doom mongers here in the UK too. If you believe the Daily Mail (the most widely read and dangerous English language website in the world) we’re all going to die a horrible, wheezing death, gasping our last breaths in miserable isolation unable to speak to our loved ones.

                    I used to read the DM website every day, originally for a laugh, and latterly to see what the enemy were thinking. Since the start of the virus crisis it has become a proper foaming-at-the-mouth, no-holds-barred, right wing rant fest. I’ve managed to wean myself off it in the last week or so, which is one good thing to come out of this mess.

                    Stay in and stay safe.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post

                      We have our own doom mongers here in the UK too. If you believe the Daily Mail (the most widely read and dangerous English language website in the world) we’re all going to die a horrible, wheezing death, gasping our last breaths in miserable isolation unable to speak to our loved ones.
                      Ha. Since you're a fat scouser and I forgot you're now on the east coast, I took a look at the Liverpool Echo.

                      As for the Doom Mongers of the Daily Mail, at least (far as I can tell) they're just Doom Mongers. The media in Everking's country has literal Death Mongers. Not just worse than useless idiots whose verbal flailings and incompetence are getting people killed, but people actually arguing for letting the virus "take its course."

                      Nevertheless, stay in, stay safe, wash your hands. And, PV, hope you get to get to those various ventures someday.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
                        ... literal Death Mongers. Not just worse than useless idiots whose verbal flailings and incompetence are getting people killed, but people actually arguing for letting the virus "take its course."
                        That's about the short of it. From cold calculating economics I can understand that there is a line when the economic impact of slowing the spread of the virus will become more costly--in dollars and cents (or pounds and pence, if you prefer)--than letting it just "take its course" but those equations completely ignore any moral or ethical duty we have toward our fellow humans. There are more important things at stake here than an economy and frankly I'm willing to suffer through a five year recovery if it will save a few hundred thousand lives.

                        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                        --Thomas a Kempis

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

                          Ha. Since you're a fat scouser and I forgot you're now on the east coast, I took a look at the Liverpool Echo.
                          As we say in Liverpool, “De Echo is de wiiiiiirst!”

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I'm in that good/bad situation that I'm able to work from home, as can my wife. My home includes kids (2 x 6yrs) who we now need to teach. These things are not happy bedfellows!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                              I'm in that good/bad situation that I'm able to work from home, as can my wife. My home includes kids (2 x 6yrs) who we now need to teach. These things are not happy bedfellows!
                              Much the same here but double the kids (4 total, 7, 10, 15, 19), add rural internet (subtract maximum bandwidth), and raise the nth due to the youngest child being special needs. *sigh* C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas? I am actually at the office today because I have discovered that trying to RDP to my development servers over the VPN when everyone else in the house is streaming/video conferencing/etc produces a 3-5 second delay between my fingers on the keyboard and the text on the screen...not very conducive to effective coding, especially when using Visual Studio with IntelliSense.

                              In happier news: my friend has recovered sufficiently and tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 to be released from the hospital! He returned home to his wife and daughter yesterday afternoon after four weeks in hospital, much of which was spent in intensive care and on Ventilator, ECMO, and even Dialysis for a time. He is doing as well as can be expected--a little thinner than before and hair a tad shaggier--but happy to be on the good side of recovery.
                              "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                              --Thomas a Kempis

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by EverKing View Post



                                In happier news: my friend has recovered sufficiently and tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 to be released from the hospital! He returned home to his wife and daughter yesterday afternoon after four weeks in hospital, much of which was spent in intensive care and on Ventilator, ECMO, and even Dialysis for a time. He is doing as well as can be expected--a little thinner than before and hair a tad shaggier--but happy to be on the good side of recovery.
                                That is excellent news EverKing! I'm happy to hear that your friend has recovered and is home with his family.
                                "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                                'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X