Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rolling In The Ruins - Dealing With The Coronavirus Pandemic As Best We All Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling In The Ruins - Dealing With The Coronavirus Pandemic As Best We All Can

I thought I would create this thread for all the good folks here at the Miscellany to write about any thoughts, feelings or concerns regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic.

First off, I hope everyone here is doing well and are safe wherever you are in the world during these very uncertain and panic stricken times. I have been watching the news and have seen what various countries have been doing to help control the spread of this virus. Here in Pennsylvania we are not in total lockdown yet, however our Governor has ordered all non-essential businesses to close for the next two weeks (for now.) Grocery stores and pharmacies are remaining open and you can still get takeout from restaurants, but dine-in has stopped. Hospitals and healthcare services are of course remaining open. So, it's not a total lockdown here yet, but there are limited places people can still go to.

I took a much needed vacation from work this week, the choice having nothing to do with worry over the virus. It just happened to be the week I picked and put in for over a month ago. Normally, me and the Mrs. would be going out to restaurants and enjoying the thrill of the hunt at thrift stores, antique shops, used bookstores etc...but unfortunately not during this vacation. We are making the best of it as I hope all of you here are as well. We are well stocked with food and other essentials and not because we ran out and raided all of the stores in a panic like so many people did around here, but because we purchase such things when they are on sale and when we can get really good deals on stuff. In other words, we are prepared. We did venture to the grocery store yesterday just to pick up a few small items and there were a number of empty shelves, but the people working there were busy stocking and there was still plenty to buy. The supply chain hasn't stopped and if people would just ease up on panic purchasing and hoarding it would give the folks who work at these stores time to restock the shelves.

The latest panic purchasing here has been at our state run liquor stores. Our Governor announced as part of the non-essential business closures that all of the states liquor stores will close until further notice, for at least two weeks. So, beginning at 9 PM eastern time here you will no longer be able to buy liquor or wine at any of those stores. For those of you that aren't familiar with Pennsylvania and the way the government here runs the sale of liquor, we do not have any privately owned liquor stores, they are all controlled by the state. So if you wish to purchase hard alcohol those stores are the only places you can go. The good news though is you can still buy beer and wine at the grocery store and that isn't coming to a halt just yet. What about buying liquor online then? Well, our liquor control board has a website where you can buy alcohol online and have it shipped to your house. However, due to the huge and insane amount of volume the site experienced when the announcement was made the Governor closed the site down at 5 PM eastern time on Monday until further notice and all orders that weren't filled were being refunded. Well just buy from another online liquor site somewhere else? Yeah you could, but sadly there are very few that will ship to Pennsylvania due to the liquor laws here and who knows how quickly you will get your purchase anyway. Well, I'm rambling on about that now and don't really have a need to make a last minute run to the liquor store. Another item that we are always well stocked on is booze, not because we are heavy drinkers. On the contrary, me and the Mrs. enjoy a nice relaxing drink of something really good. We enjoy it for the flavor and the history behind the distilleries that make it and the processes used to create the wonderful elixers that we imbibe. We both appreciate all that goes into creating what's inside the bottles that we have and it goes way beyond the fact that it's alcohol. Most of our bottles will last us at least a year or even longer in some cases. All this talk about this though makes me want to relaunch the "What Are You Drinking At The Moment?" thread or even a separate scotch discussion thread. I know a number of you appreciate a fine single malt as do I.

Well I think I've rambled on enough for now and would love to hear from all of you about all of this. The most important thing however is I hope all of you are healthy and safe. I think we will all get through this and it will eventually get better we just have to have patience and use common sense and in the immortal words of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy "DON'T PANIC!"

Cheers everyone and take care!
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Stay in the shadows (of social distancing) Jack, and keep on washing your hands.

Hugo Award nominee Chuck Tingle is offering some virus busting reading: Stay Healthy, Buckaroos.

And now a public service announcement from a distant government franchise:

Last edited by Heresiologist; 03-17-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I live near the epicenter of the contamination in Brazil so this might not reflect the whole status.

Schools are allowing parents to adapt this week and classes are compulsory this week. Starting from the next week all classes for kids under 18 will be stopped. Public events were all canceled as anything that aims to gather many people at once. I still can see supermarkets and pharmacies open as well as hospitals. Universities have been closed as well.

Companies whose employees can work from home have already put people working remotely like my employer.

My sons are home with us and we live in a 70 square meters apartment. My wife and I plan to go to the supermarket today to get more food and other required things. We have a plumbing problem that has become critical so we are waiting for someone to come here before things get more difficult in the plumbing and in the whole social disturbance which eventually will come. Right now it is difficult to predict how the virus will spread so everything is uncertain,
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
        Stay in the shadows (of social distancing) Jack, and keep on washing your hands.

Hugo Award nominee Chuck Tingle is offering some virus busting reading: Stay Healthy, Buckaroos.

And now a public service announcement from a distant government franchise:
        Thanks H for the much needed laugh with that video post!

I don't know about everyone else, but I've washed my hands so much that I should have bought extra moisturizer.

I hope you and your family are doing well and getting through it.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
          I live near the epicenter of the contamination in Brazil so this might not reflect the whole status.

Schools are allowing parents to adapt this week and classes are compulsory this week. Starting from the next week all classes for kids under 18 will be stopped. Public events were all canceled as anything that aims to gather many people at once. I still can see supermarkets and pharmacies open as well as hospitals. Universities have been closed as well.

Companies whose employees can work from home have already put people working remotely like my employer.

My sons are home with us and we live in a 70 square meters apartment. My wife and I plan to go to the supermarket today to get more food and other required things. We have a plumbing problem that has become critical so we are waiting for someone to come here before things get more difficult in the plumbing and in the whole social disturbance which eventually will come. Right now it is difficult to predict how the virus will spread so everything is uncertain,
          Sorry to hear about your plumbing issues Dan, hopefully it won't take too long to get someone out to you and get it fixed.

All schools including colleges are closed here and public events have been cancelled as well.

It's nice that you are able to work from home though. It's an option I wish I had, after this little vacation (staycation) break I'll have to go back working with the public. I am fortunate enough though to have a "behind the scenes" retail career and only interact with a small group of individuals on a day to day basis.

I hope you and your family stay well and are able to get through all of the crazy uncertainty.

Comment

Jack, thanks. There is a guy taking a look at the leaking right now thank God.

I also hope you and your family stay well too.

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

That's good news Dan. I hope it's a fairly easy fix and you are able to get it resolved soon.

Comment

One of my dearest friends and Godfather to my son has been in the ICU for 9 days due to COVID-19. It was touch-and-go the first few days but he eventually stabilized and they are now weaning him out of sedation and off of the ventilator and ECMO (Extra-corporeal Membranous Oxygenation--basically, even with the vent. his lungs couldn't do their jobs so they pump the blood out of his body and let a machine scrub the CO2 out and re-oxygenate his blood before pumping it back in). A few days ago they also had to start dialysis because the stress of it all has played hell with his kidneys. We are hoping there is no permanent damage but it is still too early to tell.

Life here is just starting to slow down because of the shutdowns. Kids are done with school for the foreseeable future, although they are trying to build a plan to allow them to attend virtual classes. The biggest concerns there are that, being so rural, there is still limited access to reliable high-speed internet (if it is available at all) and many kids only have limited connection from home.

Businesses are still trying to stay open, for the most part. The Governor of the State has closed down Restaurants, Bars/Pubs, and so on. Retailers are still plugging away, although I image we will start seeing them close up soon--some permanently due to lack of cash-flow. My local community has a large sector of manufacturing and light industrial businesses (machine shops, tooling, etc.) and it looks like they will carry on as normal so long as their work backlog still builds (i.e. orders continue to come in). My job is with one of these and we have enough back log to keep us operating for about 15 months, so it looks like we'll be just fine.
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I retired at the end of February (a long story about new UK tax rules for the self employed) and have spent the first two weeks of the rest of my life hiding away in North Norfolk. Not for any self-isolation reasons, but because I need a break and am lucky enough to own somewhere to take one.

However, as my normal home is only a few miles from London’s viral epicentre, Kensington, and the office I was working in attracted several thousand people a day from all over the south east of England, I’m better off in Norfolk than at home. A problem is that Mrs PV is still back at the west London ranch and, until she was told to work from home, was employed in the same office. She is in perfectly good health at the moment, as am I, but I do worry that she may pick up something unpleasant. I’m heading home tomorrow anyway, so will see what’s going on.

More worrying still is that my 80 year old dad is on his own in the West Country and all his six kids and multiple grandkids have been told to stay away from him. I’ve spoken to him every day and he’s doing fine but I’m struggling with the notion that if he does catch the virus he’s very unlikely to survive and I won’t get to see him before anything dreadful happens.

And we won’t mention Liverpool’s tilt at their 19th league title.

Stay safe everyone and tell your family that you love them.

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
                    One of my dearest friends and Godfather to my son has been in the ICU for 9 days due to COVID-19. It was touch-and-go the first few days but he eventually stabilized and they are now weaning him out of sedation and off of the ventilator and ECMO (Extra-corporeal Membranous Oxygenation--basically, even with the vent. his lungs couldn't do their jobs so they pump the blood out of his body and let a machine scrub the CO2 out and re-oxygenate his blood before pumping it back in). A few days ago they also had to start dialysis because the stress of it all has played hell with his kidneys. We are hoping there is no permanent damage but it is still too early to tell.
                    I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend and hope he makes a full recovery.

Comment

Hi all from Queensland, Australia.
                      I'm recovering from major surgery, and in general in the risk group, apart from age. So I'm working from home, which is easy to do, as I'm a computer programmer.

I feel fine in general atm and both my kids are fine too. So don't have any complaints really.

I actually started doing larger shopping trips from January, as I had a feeling this was gonna be a bad one, so I bought extra stuff on every shop without having to go crazy with shopping.
                      So I don't really need to shop much now, as we're good for at least a month, probably longer if necessary.
                      Still, you can easily get fruit, veggies, milk, cheese and so on, it seems to be all the dried long lasting stuff that's disappearing off the shelves and the obsession with toilet paper too.

The shops here often have empty shelves for essentials, as people are going nuts doing massive shopping trips taking all the essentials in huge quantities, although the shops are trying to limit purchases, but people just dump stuff in their cars and come back for more.

It's the elderly and infirm I feel sorry for mostly as they can't just go out on a whim and get stuff and when they do get tot eh shops, the shelves are usually bare for many products.

Anyway, hang in there everyone, this will blow over in time. But I suspect the world will never be quite the same after this one.

Comment

Dansk, I am a programmer myself too. I think we are very lucky because of that. Anyone else, we should hang tight.

Comment

Dansk and Zlogdan, I, too, am a developer of sorts. I am a one-man MS SharePoint Admin and developer so .NET, C#, VB, Web (HTML CSS), SQL, and on and on...it is nice to have the flexibility that affords us. I am staying home all next week and remoting in.

Things are still building here in the States. Some states have started complete closures with Shelter in Place orders for the entire populations. My state, Minnesota, isn't there quite yet but we will see what happens over the next few days.

My friend continues to improve but still has a long way to go and continues to receive full time mechanical assistance with a ventilator, ECMO, and now dialysis. Thank you all the well wishes!
                          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Hi EverKing, good to know about your friend. It seems that the ventilator and the drugs for malaria or ebola are very effective to treat the disease.
                            Let's hope ( or pray ).

Yesterday I saw on facebook a Brazilian couple who came from abroad and has been put in quarantine but they decided they were not sick and to prove they went out to ride their bikes and created a video they shared mocking the disease and I am happy to announce they have been jailed.

Right down in the house near my building the people who live there were happily having a barbecue yesterday.

I have been in the no GUI only command-line C++ Unix/Linux dev in the last 7 years and I usually mock the modern web devs but in truth, I am envious because that is where programming will be in the future and the most modern thing I know is python ( which I love btw ).

Comment

I began my career in the late 80s as a systems analyst working on CICS, COBOL, DB2, MVS and VMS XA IBM mainframe systems. I’ve even coded using JCL and SQL.

Which shows how old I am and why I’ve just retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X