Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Annual Anti-Valentine's Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johneffay
    replied
    Originally posted by Kipper View Post
    I've heard it said that making a woman laugh is the key to her heart.
    Just so long as she's laughing with you...

Leave a comment:

• Kipper
    replied
    Well done! Your other half is obviously blessed with a sense of humour.
    I've heard it said that making a woman laugh is the key to her heart.

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    ...Will report back on concequences later...
    Went well: she laughed her head off!

Leave a comment:

• Madrigal Rose
    replied
    Count me in.
    While this rose has been called um, unromantic on more than one occasion, I simply don't care for the obligatory, commercialized, terribly cliche nature of this, yet another Hallmark holiday.
    I guess I'm just no fun at all.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    What's with the "K" shirts they're wearing? Weirdest Klan rally I ever did see...

Meanwhile, I had a post today from the party guy's at Apple:

Engrave your Valentine's iPod.
    Show them how much you love them. Shop the Gift Guide for iPod and more. Order before 08/02/07 to receive your gift by Valentine's Day.
    I guess mix-tapes aren't enough any more...

[Other MP3 players are available. This product not endorsed by Dee... because he can't afford one... sniffle]

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kipper
    Here's a Valentine's idea for you lesser romantics - Use the above photo for a card to your loved one. Inside should be the message "Just be grateful you've got me". Stand clear when she opens it.
    That's a done deal. Will report back on concequences later...

Leave a comment:

• Kipper
    replied
    They look like something we in the UK would describe as 'Morris Dancers'. Or perhaps 'The Lower Codlington Rounders Team'!

Here's a Valentine's idea for you lesser romantics - Use the above photo for a card to your loved one. Inside should be the message "Just be grateful you've got me". Stand clear when she opens it.

Leave a comment:

• Talisant
    replied
    Originally posted by L'Etranger
    knickers ...!
    As a Teuton (with the lack of imagination that comes along with this ethnic handicap) I have always wondered why in a language that seizes any opportunity to use a "c" where we would write a "k" this particular item of garment stubbornly managed to resist. Any explanation about the origins of said word?

And why do men and women wear the same thing?

Ah, Wikipedia suggests it is used exclusively for female underwear in a British context, whereas the Americans allow their boys to don them, too. Well, it isn't the first time they got something wrong over there ...
    In the U.S. knickers a.k.a. knickerbockers usually refered to 3/4 leg length trousers, kids and sports pants to keep the cuffs/trouser leg bottoms from getting frayed from rough wear, came back in vogue around here in the 1920s for some reason, it was a big deal when a boy got his first full length pants/trousers, I wore them some as a kid, (also a black leather motorcycle jacket, but that's another story, hehe). Knickerbockers referred to the Dutch in New York during the 1600s, rolled their pants up to the knee, I think knickerbocker come from knackerbaker, which refers to baked clay marbles, I think I read that somewhere, no source for it though. Here's a photo of some lonely looking retro guys sporting the article in question.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Deleted by Doc. A joke too bad for even someone who tells bad jokes...
    Last edited by Doc; 02-01-2007, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    In Britain, men wear their pants under their trousers, whereas in the States they wear their pants on the outside. (I blame Clark Kent personally.)

The Yanks have also designated a person's rear as a 'fanny', whereas in the UK it refers to a lady's 'front bottom'.

But then 'having a fag' has different connotations in both languages as well.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    knickers ...!
    As a Teuton (with the lack of imagination that comes along with this ethnic handicap) I have always wondered why in a language that seizes any opportunity to use a "c" where we would write a "k" this particular item of garment stubbornly managed to resist. Any explanation about the origins of said word?

And why do men and women wear the same thing?

Ah, Wikipedia suggests it is used exclusively for female underwear in a British context, whereas the Americans allow their boys to don them, too. Well, it isn't the first time they got something wrong over there ...

Leave a comment:

• Sailor on the Seas of Freight
    replied
    Somehow I'm a teeny bit more excited by clipped knickers than nicked clippers...

Leave a comment:

• Talisant
    replied
    Dee makes his point about the non-romantic nature of clipped knickers, however there was a tidbit found here: http://www.dvrbs.com/People/CamdenPe...ldPancoast.htm which I like to refer to as
    the Romance of the Nicked Clipper
    Hair Clipper Stolen
    Waclaw Hermanolski, 1322 Mt. Ephraim Avenue, reported to police that someone entered his barbershop through a rear window and stole an electric hair clipper, massage vibrator and $15.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    It wasn't "annual" when I started it, but now it is! Hurrah! For those who are new to the thread, here's the rant that kicked it off:

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    A rose is *not* romantic. A big red teddy bear is *not* romantic. Remembering once a year to show some vague pretence of affection is *not* love. If you love someone, don't wait to let them know it. Don't rely on over-priced, tacky, cliche, recycled cheese-gifts to say how you feel. Prove you *know* who they are, prove that you understand their hopes and their dreams and plan to be a part of them.

I beg all of you out there with significant others to start putting some creative thought in NOW, before it's too late.
    Meanwhile, a national newspaper was running an offer for its readers to send in a voucher and claim their free Valentine's Day knickers! Yes, nothing says romance quite like underwear you've clipped from a newspaper...
    Last edited by DeeCrowSeer; 01-31-2007, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Chris Tucker is his name (he was also in Jackie Brown, not that that has anything to do with anything), and I believe Chris Rock once opened one of his stand-up shows with a whole routine about being mistaken for him, so it's obviously quite a common mistake! Personally I enjoy his performance in Fifth Element, but I know I'm in the minority...

As yet, she has failed to track the card to its maker, or its maker to his cowardly hiding place... I feel a little like Amأ©lie, but without the cute hair and day job. :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X