Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Annual Anti-Valentine's Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurgle

and there is always the hope that as people get older their priorities change, and the "nice guys" start to look like more tempting prospects in terms of potential fathers... er... basically I'm hoping that women my age will be happy to settle for second best once they've had their fun with the cool guys.
    I thought the same thing too. Course I'm bitter and pessimistic, so I generally think it won't happen till much later, if at all. I'm 24, still plenty of time to go but between my often times abrasive personality and the fact that most women in my age group are still after the bad boy, or the pretty boy (often times both), etc, they have to be used up and spit out before they think "Gee, maybe I should go for a respectable man instead of a [insert generic negative male stereotype here]".

Not all are women are like this of course. The ones that aren't in my experience usually have found someone by now, or suffer from some serious personality problems. Crazy or taken. Or gay. Possibly a combination of any two or three of those, as well.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck.

Comment

Re: Nurgle

Originally posted by ElricJColvill
      I thought the same thing too. Course I'm bitter and pessimistic, so I generally think it won't happen till much later, if at all. I'm 24
      Well, I was probably the same at your age, not that I'm much older than you now. In general I'm verging on the optimistic these days, but not where "the fairer sex" are concerned. It's a shame to be so bitter so young, but I appreciate that there is a great deal to be bitter about in this world... hopefully there is also at least an equal amount to be happy and grateful for? Not that I'm going to patronise you by trying to come up with examples.

(For those keeping score at home, the card has been sent and now the strategic hiding must begin)
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Well, Dee, I'm not exactly keeping score, :) but I hope your hiding works out well. I think. :D Or maybe I really hope she falls hopelessly in love with the magic of your artistry.

Comment

Re: Nurgle

[quote="DeeCrowSeer (For those keeping score at home, the card has been sent and now the strategic hiding must begin)[/quote]

Well, I wish you luck D.
          But, don't hide too well, or she may not be able to find you.

Comment

Thank you Doc! Thank you Cypher!

For the record, it wasn't a traditional V-Day card. The woman in question is studying Egyptian culture and history, so I drew a depiction of the ancient Egyptian goddess of music beauty and love. It was in the Egyptian style, so I didn't have a lot of room for "artistry", but I did buy a "gold" colouring pencil to add a touch of class (ho ho).

Despite this outbreak of spontaneous romantick feeling, I have had to listen to tedious "love songs" on the radio all day, and am now in the mood to put some Slipknot on and try to forget... forget... forget...

Comment

Yes, I reckon Slipknot should do it!
              I am on my own, listening to some prog rock and hardcore tracks from a compilation cd. Just the thing for anti-Valentines day music

Comment

And, Dee, for God's sake don't appear to be too perfect. Girls love the chance to make you a better man...!
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                  And, Dee, for God's sake don't appear to be too perfect.
                  I doubt that's much of a risk of that at the moment, but I promise to keep a wary eye out for any symptoms of perfection...

Sadly I weakened while listening to Slipknot, and ended up watching The Fifth Element instead... I won't spoil the ending for people who haven't seen it, but there was much sniffling on my part.

"Mul-ti-pass." - Leeloo

Comment

Bingo, that's always been my problem. I usually get too invested. I'm a passionate person, in everything, and it tends to bleed over.

Oh, and by the way, Slipknot rocks. Give it up for my homestate boys!

(Edit: I was quoting Adlerian and for some derned reason my puter remembered something on global warming I posted in another forum. Sorry about that. I'm going to go sit in the corner now.)

Comment

• I'm not sure I wish to associate with anyone who finds romance or thoughtfulness to be "creepy". Maybe I'll have to get a dog to talk to after all...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                        A lot of evil people pretend to be nice as part of their plan and ruin it for the genuinely kind.
                        Yes. They do.

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                        Play it middle of the the road, then once you get to know her and she sees that you are OK you can treat her like gold.
                        The very point of this thread was that I object to the tacky, cynical, romance-by-numbers which V-Day seems to encourage... so I think we're basically saying the same thing... and as I stated in response to L'E, there's very little chance of anyone thinking me "too good to be true"... especially if they ask to borrow a CD and spot my anxious twitch and cold sweat. Something of a romance killer, no doubt.

Comment

• It was about five o'clock before I remembered it was Valentines Day! Then, it was home on the tube, squashed between loads of men and women holding hideously overpriced bunches of flowers. I then spent an amusing half hour while I queued to renew my monthly travelcard watching a very stressed out woman have a blistering row with her poor chap because her credit card had been swallowed by the ticket machine and they were going to be late for their dinner date...Heh heh :lol:

As for my boyfriend and I - well, he was working his second job at the pub and I mashed some potatoes and watched a load of crap of tv on me tod. Way-hay!!!

That Valentines card sounded great D! Any response yet? And the Fifth Element too - going to have to stick that on when I can! I love the soundtrack, that's very moving in places. Oh, apart from the Chris Rock (is that correct?) bits....

Comment

• Chris Tucker is his name (he was also in Jackie Brown, not that that has anything to do with anything), and I believe Chris Rock once opened one of his stand-up shows with a whole routine about being mistaken for him, so it's obviously quite a common mistake! Personally I enjoy his performance in Fifth Element, but I know I'm in the minority...

As yet, she has failed to track the card to its maker, or its maker to his cowardly hiding place... I feel a little like Amأ©lie, but without the cute hair and day job. :)

Comment

• It wasn't "annual" when I started it, but now it is! Hurrah! For those who are new to the thread, here's the rant that kicked it off:

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                              A rose is *not* romantic. A big red teddy bear is *not* romantic. Remembering once a year to show some vague pretence of affection is *not* love. If you love someone, don't wait to let them know it. Don't rely on over-priced, tacky, cliche, recycled cheese-gifts to say how you feel. Prove you *know* who they are, prove that you understand their hopes and their dreams and plan to be a part of them.

I beg all of you out there with significant others to start putting some creative thought in NOW, before it's too late.
                              Meanwhile, a national newspaper was running an offer for its readers to send in a voucher and claim their free Valentine's Day knickers! Yes, nothing says romance quite like underwear you've clipped from a newspaper...
                              Last edited by DeeCrowSeer; 01-31-2007, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Dee makes his point about the non-romantic nature of clipped knickers, however there was a tidbit found here: http://www.dvrbs.com/People/CamdenPe...ldPancoast.htm which I like to refer to as
                                the Romance of the Nicked Clipper
                                Hair Clipper Stolen
                                Waclaw Hermanolski, 1322 Mt. Ephraim Avenue, reported to police that someone entered his barbershop through a rear window and stole an electric hair clipper, massage vibrator and $15.
                                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                                X