Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Annual Anti-Valentine's Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Last night I had a dream (not, not that sort of dream) about a woman I have a crush on, but could never date (for reasons too stupid and complicated to go into), so the question I put before the panel this morning is:
    Didn't you have one of those about the woman who plays Elektra? I forget her name...
    Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Last night I had a dream (not, not that sort of dream) about a woman I have a crush on, but could never date (for reasons too stupid and complicated to go into), so the question I put before the panel this morning is:

Is it mean to send an anonymous V-Day card to someone you have no intention of making yourself known to? I mean, just to cheer up their day a bit?

The last time I sent a card was when I was 16, and I had to admit to sending it because the girl in question decided to interrogate everyone. Of course she ended up disappointed when she found out the truth, but that's the risk you take I suppose. (Oh, she was the same girl who agreed to go with me to our version of a Prom, but then went with one of my friends instead).

I object to the idea of buying cards, as stated before, but I'd obviously make my own in this case... which is probably a bit of a giveaway in itself... I'm getting a little nervous just thinking about it. :D

There are times when I fear I may be the reincarnation of Charlie Brown.

Good grief!!!
      So you have your own version of the little red-haired girl, Charlie Brown? :D I think those kind of gestures are always great. (Even when you secretly hope that they will figure out it was you who made them a fantastic card and become hopelessly smitten. )

If you might make someone else's day, try it. Sometimes making someone happy is better than getting credit for making someone happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
        Last night I had a dream (not, not that sort of dream) about a woman I have a crush on...
        Didn't you have one of those about the woman who plays Elektra? I forget her name...
        Well, yes, but it was a different sort of dream. The actress in question is Jennifer Garner, btw. In that dream we'd been dating for a while, but her work was getting in the way of our relationship. We were in her apartment, but didn't have time to talk because we had to go to a launch party. It was a terrible LA party, and I woke up feeling quite down. Still made me curious to see the film though!

In the dream about the woman I have a crush on, we were on a train, and chatting quite happily... but then some cocky young man tried to distract her and chat her up. She totally blanked him and kept talking to me, so he fired a blow dart at my back!

Not sure what any of these dreams mean if anything, but it just meant that she was on my mind all morning. Hence the post.

I'm just wondering where we draw the line between "secret admirer" and "stalker" these days...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Is it mean to send an anonymous V-Day card to someone you have no intention of making yourself known to? I mean, just to cheer up their day a bit?

The last time I sent a card was when I was 16, and I had to admit to sending it because the girl in question decided to interrogate everyone. Of course she ended up disappointed when she found out the truth, but that's the risk you take I suppose. (Oh, she was the same girl who agreed to go with me to our version of a Prom, but then went with one of my friends instead).

I object to the idea of buying cards, as stated before, but I'd obviously make my own in this case... which is probably a bit of a giveaway in itself... I'm getting a little nervous just thinking about it. :D

There are times when I fear I may be the reincarnation of Charlie Brown.

Good grief!!!
          So you have your own version of the little red-haired girl, Charlie Brown? :D I think those kind of gestures are always great. (Even when you secretly hope that they will figure out it was you who made them a fantastic card and become hopelessly smitten. )

If you might make someone else's day, try it. Sometimes making someone happy is better than getting credit for making someone happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
            So you have your own version of the little red-haired girl, Charlie Brown? :D
            It occurred to me after I'd written the Charlie Brown comment, that the woman in question does have red hair... well, parts of it are red, the rest is goth-black. Very cute.

Originally posted by Doc
            But what if some other chap took credit it for it, and they got married and lived happily ever after? Because maybe I'm so good at making cards that could actually happen? ;)

I guess this thread isn't quite as "anti-" as it was last year. Sorry about that, all you cynics out there.

Comment

Hey D., tell the girl somehow to check what goes on at MWM.
              Once she finds out what great and lovable personality you are by reading your contributions and seeing your artistic work she's going to be addicted to you, man!
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Adlerian, I suspect the problem is how to get across that nice guys can be just as exciting as not so nice guys ...!
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Another problem is how to let women see me reading The Tao of Loving without appearing too obvious. :)

To be fair, in terms of my school dance anecdote, I was grossly overweight, wearing hideous glasses and a greasy pony-tail! It's not difficult to understand her lack of interest.

On the "nice guy" front, I've found that hand-made cards and such are actually very good ways of getting attention and standing out from the crowd (especially if you prove that you've been paying attention to the recipient's interests and obsessions), I'm just no good at following them up with direct action. I'm more of a "send the love letter and hide" sort of chap, and that's not a recipe for big fun. I do believe that it's possible to be "nice" and pro-active, I just haven't managed it yet. But maybe if I do enough intense nasal breathing before "making a move", I'll be too giddy to notice the fear of rejection? The advantage that "jerks" have is that they know what they want, because what they want isn't that difficult to grasp (for either party), but there's no reason why more complex desires can't be put into action once the protagonist has made peace with his own fears and feelings. Maybe?

But yes, I'm going to have to have a word with Mr M about attracting more female fans. Perhaps Una could move in with Bridget Jones for the next movie?

Comment

Hey D, I have red and black hair.... I see by your location you're from Dorset though, and the guy I have a secret crush on lingers around Kew Gardens station before I get my train to work.... :oops:

I'm not keen on Valentine's. . . bit like New Years Eve - everywhere is hideously overpriced and crowded. It's on a Monday this year anyway, and I can't think of anything worth celebrating on a Monday!!!

Nice guys are definitely better, but I have several female friends who keep going for the 'treat 'em mean...' bloke.... Something about them 'being a challenge', when all I see is wasting months of your life on a loser.... :roll: Nice guys will at least find the right type of woman :D I fell in love with a wonderful man who is witty, generous, kind and makes me laugh until my stomach aches - the most important thing of all. Not sure what I'm trying to say here, but we are out there!- nice girls for nice blokes, erm. . . :oops:

Comment

Hey D, I have red and black hair.... I see by your location you're from Dorset though, and the guy I have a secret crush on lingers around Kew Gardens station before I get my train to work.... :oops:

I'm not keen on Valentine's. . . bit like New Years Eve - everywhere is hideously overpriced and crowded. It's on a Monday this year anyway, and I can't think of anything worth celebrating on a Monday!!!

Nice guys are definitely better, but I have several female friends who keep going for the 'treat 'em mean...' bloke.... Something about them 'being a challenge', when all I see is wasting months of your life on a loser.... :roll: Nice guys will at least find the right type of woman :D I fell in love with a wonderful man who is witty, generous, kind and makes me laugh until my stomach aches - the most important thing of all. Not sure what I'm trying to say here, but we are out there!- nice girls for nice blokes, erm. . . :oops:

Comment

Weeeeellll... don't know why it posted twice then... weird! 8O

Comment

Miss Dreamy, I'm sure such a positive message deserves to be posted twice, so don't worry!
                          Am I right, D.?
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

:oops: :oops:

Aww...Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                              Miss Dreamy, I'm sure such a positive message deserves to be posted twice, so don't worry! Am I right, D.?
                              Absolutely! It's very encouraging... it's especially comforting to know that there are nice girls out there with good hair. :)

I'm coming up to 28 now, and there is always the hope that as people get older their priorities change, and the "nice guys" start to look like more tempting prospects in terms of potential fathers... er... basically I'm hoping that women my age will be happy to settle for second best once they've had their fun with the cool guys. :lol:

Still, I'm not sure what I want exactly, so there's no point whining about not having it.

With the upcoming "hiatus" of the site, I probably won't check back as often so I just want to thank everyone for their imput... and if I don't reply to any further posts, it's not because I'm off smooching... well, maybe...

"First you get the job, then you get the khakis, then you get the girls." - Coop, Baseketball

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                                I did not meet a quality girl until I was in my late 30s. It was getting depressing. I had dated the kind of girls that I found to be physically attractive but found that looks did not equate to a good personality. Anyway, I think that just like guys girls want to settle down, talk, and be a normal person as they get older. For me, personality is more important than super good looks and I'm sure that that is the case for many women, especially older ones.
                                "Quality girl" in the sense that she goes for quality in men (as opposed to going for looks or money etc) I assume you mean, right? Otherwise it would be an upsetting term.
                                Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                                X