Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Moorcock Inn

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel free my friend(what they have SEATS in there now??) but we keep the toilet roll in the fridge these days!!

Thats it,its a day that ends with Y so that calls for a celebratory pint of Absinthe!!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Back from China and a quick sidetrip to Hong Kong. Got some cool stories to tell.

Managed to drink my boss under the table (yeah, he collapsed) with our Asia Tech/Sales team. Ended up singing karaoke with the gang in a seedy Sanya nightclub until 3am, then had to navigate the taxi back to the hotel, because the local taxi driver...didn't know...where the...hotel was??!!

I also have video of me beating our Singapore salesguy in the "chug a huge bottle of beer" competition, but then lost it in the next challenge to our Korean salesguy. Never NEVER challenge a Korean to drinking contest!

Mine's a bottle of the new Tsing Dao "Draught" in 20seconds.

DOWN IN ONE /
      DOWN IN ONE /
      DOWN IN ONE /
      DOWN IN ONE /
      DOWN IN ONE / etc etc nauseam
      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Sounds skullbaking Des!
        Good work on the boss!
        And those are three of my favourite words put in my favourite order!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
          Sounds skullbaking Des!
          Good work on the boss!
          And those are three of my favourite words put in my favourite order!
          As the karaoke night wore on, my voice ended up getting deeper and deeper, until the final insult....the BeeGees' "Staying Alive". I ended up singing it mostly as a bass/basso profundo and intermingling with "Old Man River", to a lot of hilarity.

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post

As the karaoke night wore on, my voice ended up getting deeper and deeper, until the final insult....the BeeGees' "Staying Alive". I ended up singing it mostly as a bass/basso profundo and intermingling with "Old Man River", to a lot of hilarity.
            Hope the locals were understanding Des!
            I've seen wars started for less.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• God save all here!

Sorry I haven't been around to blow much froth lately - I've been all over the place for the last couple of weeks as we get ready for our holiday (Vietnam/Cambodia - leaving on Tuesday)

I'm also trying to keep out of the way of Mad Jean-Paul: as Porcus points out, he's still very keen to slip his ring onto my finger

Anyway, I'm sorry I missed International Stout Day in here yesterday, although I did nip into the Lamb & Flag in Covent Garden for a cheeky afternoon pint of Fullers new Black Cab. Very nice, even at £3.75.

I had to go up to the West End for it, as we all know it's impossible to get a Black Cab to go south of the river...

PS With the situation in Greece, might it be worth thinking about removing Tsatsiki and Taramosalata from the bar snack menu? I've been reading worrying things about a double-dip recession
              Last edited by Tom Murphy; 11-04-2011, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
                I had to go up to the West End for it, as we all know it's impossible to get a Black Cab to go south of the river...

Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
                PS With the situation in Greece, might it be worth thinking about removing Tsatsiki and Taramosalata from the bar snack menu? I've been reading worrying things about a double-dip recession

If you're in t'West End again soon Tom, try The Harp on Chandos Place, across Strand from Charing Cross Station. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs.../Covent_Garden

It was voted CAMRA Pub of the Year for 2011 - the first time a London boozer has won that accolade. It's got at least 8 real ales on the bar, including a few from the Dark Star brewery.

It is also just around the corner from The Porterhouse on Maiden Lane, another tremendous drinking hole that brews its own beer and has not one but two stouts on the bar, Plain and Oyster Stout.
                http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs.../Covent_Garden

Have a great holiday.

I'll have a pint of Arthur, washed down with a large Highland Park and followed by a large doner meat and chips with loads of chilli sauce, just to show solidarity to our impoverished Greek cousins.

Comment

• Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                  If you're in t'West End again soon Tom, try The Harp on Chandos Place
                  The Harp is already a regular stopping-off point for a pint of Hophead - very handy for meeting wifey off the train at Charing Cross.

Originally posted by porcus_volans
                  It is also just around the corner from The Porterhouse on Maiden Lane, another tremendous drinking hole that brews its own beer and has not one but two stouts on the bar, Plain and Oyster Stout.
                  I walked past there yesterday; I always thought it looked a bit like an after-work lager barn, so never thought of popping in. I'll give it a try next time

Originally posted by porcus_volans
                  Have a great holiday
                  Thanks pal! I've just been typing up our itinerary and getting very excited

Comment

• [QUOTE=Tom Murphy;240605], he's still very keen to slip his ring onto my finger
                    Ahem!!
                    There'll be none of that in here!
                    Come on now Tom,this is a family friendly establishment!!

Have a superb time ma man!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Have a great holiday, Tom. I'm going to have to start taking notes on all of the great pubs you and PV are talking about so I can visit them if I ever get over to your side of the pond.

TF, what happened to the 36 casks of tea I had stored in the cellar? They were clearly labeled "Gunpowder" just so they wouldn't be mistaken for any of that mundane black tea.

And where's that guy in the funny white mask? I saw him lurking around yesterday.

Oh well, I'll have a fifth of Ardbeg and mull it over.
                      Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 11-05-2011, 05:54 AM.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                        Have a great holiday, Tom. I'm going to have to start taking notes on all of the great pubs you and PV are talking about so I can visit them if I ever get over to your side of the pond.
                        You'd be very welcome! Of course, Porcus and I may need to accompany you to sample the brews (for quality control purposes, naturally)

If you ever make it down to Crystal Palace, you could even blow a bit of froth here...

http://tiny.cc/fdb42

Comment

• The Chaos Queen and I are just back from Londra, ( 20 years married !! ), we had a great time, I tried Fuller's London Pride for the first time so there's now a container load on the way to the Inn's cellar. We also had some champagne on the London Eye and then at the We will rock you show but the prices are nothing like the Inn, sky high !!!! therefore TF and I will be selling the other container load in The Bill Shankly Suite at 40 Melnibonean Gold coins a glass, strictly for the charity and the new limo.....er scooter for TF. We had another week in Glasgow so the Tennents lager went down well. Now we're back in Espana I have to make do with Cruz Campo but the consignment of Tennents on the way to the Inn as well should be great. In the meantime I'll have a large Drambuie !!!! cheers everyone !!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Cheers! Bet you had a crackin' time!

Woodchuck cider all round.

Interesting new brew in Boise, Idaho at the Bittercreek: the "Black Hammer" - 1/2 cider and 1/2 stout.

Lovely jubbly!!!!

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Thanks Des, I brought some London Pride back with me too so I'm well stocked up !!! Sparrowhawk, how many times to we have to tell you, don't leave Gunpowder Tea in the cellar, the last time Das had a candlelight tea party in there the carnage was unbelievable, we had a real hard time covering that one up with the insurance company although after the blood was cleaned up we found a crate of Younger's Number 3 Ale buried in the floor and had right sore heads the next day.....we also managed to redecorate the Shankly Suite and had a small fact finding tour to the Cayman Islands ( it was a chore !!! ).

Anyway, keep that Drambuie coming !!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                                Interesting new brew in Boise, Idaho at the Bittercreek: the "Black Hammer" - 1/2 cider and 1/2 stout
                                In my formative drinking years in Liverpool, half Guinness; half cider was a black velvet. It was only once I'd gone up market (to Preston) did I find out that a proper black velvet was Guinness and champagne.

Pride is my local west London brew, Woolfie. It's made down the road in Chiswick and is the last proper London ale, brewed with hard local water that produces a very flat beer with a sharp bitter taste. I've grown to love it. In fact, I had a couple of pints with my Sunday lunch today.

And next time you're in the Smoke and hankering after some Spanishness, pop in here
                                http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...leys/Fitzrovia.

Time for a large Glen Scotia.
                                Last edited by Pietro_Mercurios; 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X