Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Moorcock Inn

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone around for a swift Friday lunchtime (GMT) half?

If we're propping up the bar and talking toot.... In another bit of pub-related trivia, the nearest drinkarium to where I'm currently working (The Dolphin, Red Lion St, London WC1) was bombed by a Zeppelin in 1915. The clock on the wall in the pub was recovered from the wreckage, and is still stopped at the time of the attack.

It's hard to imagine how terrifying the prospect of air raids must have been at the time. This page includes a link to a map showing the route of all the Zeppelin air raids between 1915 and 1917

http://londonist.com/2010/07/wwi_air...ndon_mappe.php

(There are a couple of related photos here: http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...picID=14106803)

Comment

• Yeah i'll have a wee half and a half with you Tom.
      Make mines a half pint of 80shilling and a wee half gill of Dalwhinnie stout yeoman!
      Thank heavens we live in relatively peaceful times but we are ok in this establishment,bombs and airships just bounce off the roof on their way back to the first ether!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Ok, we had to break up the slugfest between Davina and Bladnoch Bess, we called it a draw as too much of the Inn was beong destroyed during the fight and it takes a while to renew itself. BB is in the cornelius suite nursing her three blackened eyes with a flagon of Jack Daniels and a poor waiter ( we'll have to replace him and move the corpse when she's done !!! ). Davina is happily serving behind the bar, she must be ok despite the limp as she has just punched out Mygel Holst for asking her what's under her kilt.....DAS YOU HAVE A LOT TO ANSWER FOR !!!! The Pork Scratchings are back on the menu due to popular demand ( well Porcus mainly !!! ). We'll have to put a stop to the fake haggis as one of the real ones tried to mate with a fake and is now seriously confused....it's next for the chop anyway.

TF, pass some of that Talisker Brown label over here, I think I'll end up in the ditch tonight, oh well as long as one of the Pan Tang girls is there as well!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by white wolf's son View Post
          Ok, we had to break up the slugfest between Davina and Bladnoch Bess, we called it a draw as too much of the Inn was beong destroyed during the fight and it takes a while to renew itself. BB is in the cornelius suite nursing her three blackened eyes with a flagon of Jack Daniels and a poor waiter ( we'll have to replace him and move the corpse when she's done !!! ). Davina is happily serving behind the bar, she must be ok despite the limp as she has just punched out Mygel Holst for asking her what's under her kilt.....
          I missed all this - I'd just nipped to the loo for a minute

Comment

• When I was back in Blighty, I downed many pints of IPA bitter. Greene King, Samuel Smith's, Caledonian Breweries. I do miss British beer.

So, could I have a virtual pint of Deuchars, please?

Comment

• By the way, a pint of Sam Smith's, in The Angel, near St Giles, is still only about, £2.00 a pint.

Comment

• But as you well know Pietro,its on the house in this fine establishment.
                So fill yer boots!!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                  By the way, a pint of Sam Smith's, in The Angel, near St Giles, is still only about, £2.00 a pint.
                  Ah, I sank a good few pints of Old Brewery and Nut Brown Ale in The Angel c1996-99.

Sam Smith's pubs are fantastic - you always come away from the bar thinking they've given you too much change. And the little Alpine scene in the Ayingerbrau pump never fails to raise a smile.

Cheers!

Comment

• Anyone up for the Sam Smith's London Challenge? All 34 Sam Smith's pubs in London - not necessarily in one day.

http://www.samsmithschallenge.co.uk/

Comment

• I had some Mad Goose Purity pale ale yesterday, whilst shouting at the big screen as England made some progress against the All Blacks. Usually, I prefer a beer with a bit of body too it and will drink Guinness, but it was a bit weak and watery, so I am glad I didn't have the Guinness.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                        Anyone up for the Sam Smith's London Challenge? All 34 Sam Smith's pubs in London
                        I had no idea there were so many! Without checking the list, the ones I can remember visiting recently are:
                        • Captain Kidd (Wapping)
                        • Lyceum (The Strand)
                        • Angel in the Field (Marylebone High St)
                        • Cittie of Yorke (Holborn)

Edit: After checking the list, a few more from recent years jumped back into my memory!

Chandos (Trafalgar Sq)
                        Red Lion (Kingsley St, W1)
                        The Champion (Fitzrovia)
                        Rising Sun (Cloth Fair, nr Barbican)
                        The Crown (New Oxford St)

and, of course, the Princess Louise (Holborn) - the first place I got drunk after moving to London in 1986!
                        Last edited by Tom Murphy; 11-08-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                          Anyone up for the Sam Smith's London Challenge? All 34 Sam Smith's pubs in London - not necessarily in one day.

http://www.samsmithschallenge.co.uk/
                          Reminds me of the old Firkin challenge, back in the late 80s when there were (IIRC) nine of them, still owned by Bruce's Brewery.

A drink in each of them - starting with the one in Bristol!

Comment

• Porcus, do you forget the mayhem last year when TF and I were on the Distillery Challenge and DAS, sparrowhawk and Kat trashed the country ? If we're going to do the Sam Smith challenge in London, there's no way we can let them know, they stole TF's wee scooter last time as well. Here, I can only do the Urcal challenge in one day, as there's only three bars in the village, I may have to visit them a few times each to keep up morale !!!

Anyway, TF, the new cases of MacAllan's have just arrived, I've put a gallon bottle on tap on the bar, so if Porcus lies under it please make sure somebody puts a blanket over him when it's closing time. OH, I forgot...we NEVER close !!!

More MacAllan, then , two of Boabie's Festering Pies and another Pan Tang Girl while the band gets ready!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Phew!!
                              I thought that shipment of Macallans was never going to get here!
                              But for research purposes you do realise that we may have to drink this whole batch!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by white wolf's son View Post
                                Anyway, TF, the new cases of MacAllan's have just arrived, I've put a gallon bottle on tap on the bar, so if Porcus lies under it please make sure somebody puts a blanket over him when it's closing time. OH, I forgot...we NEVER close !!!
                                I never tell lies under the influence of anything alcoholic, and that's the truth.

We could do the Sam Smith's Challenge in disguise to avoid any unpleasantness from the bellatrix contingent. Bagsy I get the Jerry Cornelius costume.

Can someone turn the Macallan tap on please, I can't reach it from down here?

Comment

Working...
                                X