Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Moorcock Inn

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time is but a tool on a Michael Moorcock website.
    TGIF
    Here's looking at you Dave.

Comment

Speaking of mead.... I had some in some wanker bar in Colorado Springs about 11 years back. At least they said it was mead: it was totally devoid of color or flavor. Bizarre.

Waitress: "People tell us it tastes like the real thing!"
      Des: "You mean people who've only ever drunk this?!"

Nice surprise in Boise, ID was finding a good bar with a bazzing selection of ales (the Bitter Creek bar), and getting a couple of pints of Rogue "Dead Guy" ale. Not bad at all.

I think one of the problems with Americans brewing beer is that they tend to take "bitter" at its word and produce stuff that tastes like alcoholic earwax - Sam Adams is a case in point.

Any one else got an opinion on this?

A smoker mate of mine got off the plane in Atlanta and pronounced "I could murder a fag" (Eng. Trans:"I am Jonesing for a cigarette") to which one redneck nodded and said: "You go, boy!".

My shout....

Des
      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Hi guys, my round? It's a pint o' Becks for me - can't stand that honeyed mead stuff. Good old german purity laws actually work, when applied to beer!

Love the smoker joke Unc. I remember a Billy Connelly joke in a similar vein; he described the reactions of an irate New York butcher when he asked for a joint for the coming sunday. Pub jokes and anecdotes rule. Just wish I could remember them the next day..

Cheers all!
        (could I have another of the same please Pietro? This one seems to have gone)
        He's well smoked

Comment

• Anecdote

A story from a place I was working in North London (no name, no pack drill).

One of the senior production managers was doing an inspection of the manufacturing facility where discipline was a little "loose" shall we say?

He went into one of the solvent-mixing rooms and asked a young bloke: 'What exactly is this process?'. The kid looked him up and down and said: 'F$%# off'. Well the senior manager immediately found the shift supervisor and told him: 'I was in one of your mixing rooms....and the blond kid in there just told me to 'F$%# off''.

The supervisor also looked him up and down and said: 'What are doing still here, then?'

Can I cadge a fag? Cheers mate. Anybody want crisps?

Two pints of Dead Guy, please Pietro, and have one yerself...oh, and one for Kip.

Des
          Last edited by UncleDes; 10-27-2007, 01:21 PM. Reason: Changed my order: three pints (Kipper just walked in the bar)

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Quiet in here lately! I'll just sit happily with my glass of Davenports and recount a little joke I heard on my way here tonight. Before I do, sorry Des but you'll have to take that fag outside, UK smoking laws suck! ......

A visitor to a mental institution asked the director how he decided which patients should be kept in. The director replied "we fill a bathtub with water then offer the client a teaspoon, a teacup or a bucket and we ask them to empty the bathtub". The visitor said: "oh, I see, a normal person would choose the bucket, because it's the biggest". "No", said the director, "a normal person would pull the plug out. Would you like a bed by the window?"
            He's well smoked

Comment

• Des's Back! Des's Front!

Back in the USA after a couple of weeks out points east. Met some interesting people.... did you know that every year, 40,000 fingers are lost in machining accidents (clothing manufacturing etc.) in Guangdong Province in China, alone? Thanks to Gunnelia from Denmark for that little true horror story: Gunnelia works for a Danish NGO funded by the Ethics Groups within companies such as Nike, and is doing a grand job. She also tells me that some companies expect their workers to do 400hours a months labor (note: there are 176 hours TOTAL in a week!).

On the lighter side: UncleDes had dinner with colleagues in Shenzhen, but had a hard time keeping a straight face when looking at the menu's translations:

- "Chicken Saliva"
              - "A barrel world"
              - "Raises the face aloe"
              - "Fries the blue cucumber"
              - "Small bamboo shoots meat froth"
              - "Explodes fries the fish seed"
              - "Tile crisp stomach"

Pint of Ching Dow, mate.....what...you spell it Tsing Tao...why?
              It's like that Fung Shway thing, right, innit?

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• A very special shout out to the US east coast while I drink my Khalua White Russian!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year's Day 2008 to Every One !!!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I'm having a pint for the well being of Mike.
                  Best Wishes.

Comment

• I'll raise a glass with you to that sentiment, vg.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• A pint of heavy and a straight grouse please stout yeoman.
                      What do you mean im barred?
                      I never knew that was a broom cupboard!!
                      I'll get my coat
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I'm a wee bit hungover from recent solstice celebrations, mmm - sunrise over Liverpool, unforgettable. I'll just settle for a hair o' the dog and take a pint of Becks please. While I'm here I'd like to share some witticisms with you. These aren't mine, wish they were! I copied a small selection of 'letters' from the 'Viz' site which made me chuckle. I'm masking them in case I'm being naughty by doing this, or in case you find Viz offensive:

Hee hee, Obviously there's no point in including the ficticious names that were attached to each of the above.
                        He's well smoked

Comment

• Great stuff Kip
                          Not seen the viz for ages,i nearly pissed myself at a few of them,especially the P Do one
                          Pint of Heavy please and 4 tequilas please.
                          Now what are you having?
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Oh why not, my heads clearing now anyway, another Becks please thingfish, as you're buying! Glad you liked them, I selected those that appealed to me and yes, the P Do one made me laugh so loudly that I embarrassed myself - and I was alone. Cheers!
                            He's well smoked

Comment

• Today's my play day - to do with however I like, so I'm here hanging out, intermittently doing yard work. I'll have a couple of those cheap domestic beers that have been in the fridge for months now. May as well get rid of 'em. At least they're cold.

And can someone put Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" on the jukebox?

Comment

• No problem G,consider it on
                                But you have to put that cheap beer down,only the finest beverages in this establishment.
                                Let me treat you to a wee goldie,a 25 year old Dalwhinnie should have you fit and ready to tackle that yard in no time

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X