Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A question for those of you from the U.K.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for those of you from the U.K.

What is the connotation of the name Dibley? I saw reruns of the Vicar of Dibley, yesterday, and I recall Cat from Red Dwarf transforming a couple of times into a nerdy alter-ego named Duane Dibley.

I can't speak for the whole of the nation, of course, but as far as I know there is none. It may just be coincidence. "Rimmer" is a much ruder name, of course.

Cue disaffected ex-Red Dwarf fan rant: Of course the reliance on running jokes such as the repeated return of Duane and Ace was a sure sign that the writers were running out of ideas... and Cat suddenly developed magical "smelling through space" powers, while everyone was quoting spacecore "directives". Then one of the writers walked and it all turned to shit. SHIT, I say. Still, five series of decent comedy/sci-fi isn't bad. Shame they didn't stop before it went to shit. And "remastering" the early episodes with pointless and distracting special FX? :x

End rant. Sorry.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Red Dwarf jumped the shark when they introduced Kryton as a regular. There were a couple of decent episodes after, but not many.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
        and Cat suddenly developed magical "smelling through space" powers
        I had always thought that that was a parody of Counselor Troi from Next Generation, as she had the ability to empathically read beings on other ships through space, in the early episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
          Red Dwarf jumped the shark when they introduced Kryton as a regular. There were a couple of decent episodes after, but not many.
          Kryton was alright and the show lasted for several series after he came on board. I thought Red Dwarf really jumped the shark when Rimmer left and they replaced the lovely Clare Grogan with Chloe Annett as Kristine Kochanski, bringing her on as a regular.

My Grogan/Kochanski fantasies were crushed! :(

Comment

I am not of UK and only saw a couple Red Dwarf episodes, but was there not a character named Count Dibley played by Patrick M. on the old Battlestar Galactica?

-Lemec

Dunno what Dibley could mean though.

I don't know Dibley! :lol:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
              Dunno what Dibley could mean though.

I don't know Dibley! :lol:
              Even Google does not know the answer, so I would guess that its meaning has been lost in the mists of time. It is used as a surname though.

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
              And "remastering" the early episodes with pointless and distracting special FX? :x
              I never understood why they did that. Part of Red Dwarf's appeal were the model space craft. They added an extra comedy edge to the show. I'm glad that I've got the original vids in the house so I can enjoy them as they were meant to be seen.

Comment

spaced_moorcock wrote:
                I never understood why they did that. Part of Red Dwarf's appeal were the model space craft. They added an extra comedy edge to the show. I'm glad that I've got the original vids in the house so I can enjoy them as they were meant to be seen.
                I fear for the art in the future, what are they going to do, change everything every time somebody thinks they have better technology and want it to look their way for themselves.

I hope what is left of my favourite movies and shows will stay intact and not be changed or added to in any way.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I hope what is left of my favourite movies and shows will stay intact and not be changed or added to in any way.
                  Too late - George Lucas already screwed the original Star Wars way beyond anything half-recognisable from what I saw in 1977. :x

On the other hand, the 'Restoration Team' are doing some wonderful things with their clean-up of old Doctor Who stories for release on DVD. Their Dalek Invasion of Earth has some beautiful CGI Dalek spaceships replacing the original 'flying cake tins', but - and here's the key - they always include the original versions for purists as well as the new stuff, so the viewer can choose which version they watch.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                    On the other hand, the 'Restoration Team' are doing some wonderful things with their clean-up of old Doctor Who stories for release on DVD. Their Dalek Invasion of Earth has some beautiful CGI Dalek spaceships replacing the original 'flying cake tins', but - and here's the key - they always include the original versions for purists as well as the new stuff, so the viewer can choose which version they watch.
                    I noticed that when I got Ark in Space the opening shot for the spaceship was either in old or new CGI format - saw both - stayed with the older one. :D

Comment

I am not of UK and only saw a couple Red Dwarf episodes, but was there not a character named Count Dibley played by Patrick M. on the old Battlestar Galactica?
                      Nope, that was Count Iblis. I might have the spelling wrong, as it's been a few decades.

Now, as for Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, from Discworld, he might be related to this terrifying Dibley curse....... :D

Comment

Dibley. Ahh, now then. Dibley.

No specific meaning or cultural reference AFAIK. Just one of those meaningless words that, for some inexplicable reason, sounds funny to the natives of Albion.

See also: wibbley, wibble, diddle, wobbley, wobble.

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                          Nope, that was Count Iblis. I might have the spelling wrong, as it's been a few decades.

Now, as for Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, from Discworld, he might be related to this terrifying Dibley curse....... :D
                          :o I am sorry for that error, hehe, I should have consulted the imbd first. ;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                            I saw a rerun of that episode on Sci Fi, but before that BBC 2 ran the entire series intermittently during the late 80's and early 90's.

As I remember, Count Iblis 'killed' Apollo which gave Dirk Benedict (Starbuck) the chance to show the world how bad of an actor he really was:

"You killed him! I'll Kill you!"

That shit totally hit the fan though when they came out with Galactica 1980 - with the flying bikes and the Milkybar kid.
                            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                              I saw a rerun of that episode on Sci Fi, but before that BBC 2 ran the entire series intermittently during the late 80's and early 90's.

As I remember, Count Iblis 'killed' Apollo which gave Dirk Benedict (Starbuck) the chance to show the world how bad of an actor he really was:

"You killed him! I'll Kill you!"
                              And sadly, he was probably a better actor than Richard Hatch. (To wit, Dirk B. got a decent series role afterwards........)

That shit totally hit the fan though when they came out with Galactica 1980 - with the flying bikes and the Milkybar kid.
                              No kiddin.' THAT show stank so much I wrote a novel -- never submitted; hell, I was about 16 -- that basically served to erase the entire unpleasant series from reality. Good riddance. To this day, just thinking of that Doctor Zee creep gives me the heebiejeebies.

Comment

Working...
                              X