Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A bell is tolling for ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bell is tolling for ebay

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/12/16...tid=98&tid=123
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

technology invents new crimes. Now that we can have online auctions where it's had to track down the identity of the seller, much more fraud can occur.

every new thing that is out there, someone will find a way to take advantage of it for illegal means.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Just logged onto eBay and saw this:

Originally posted by eBay.co.uk
      Money Transfer Ban
      The use of instant money transfer services, such as Western Union and Money Gram, as a payment method is now banned on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie.

The ban is being introduced with the support of the Metropolitan Police and Western Union and is part of our ongoing campaign to prevent online fraud.
      also, elsewhere they say:

Permitted on eBay
      Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including Mastercard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers, and the online money order service BidPay. Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions. Sellers may offer to accept personal cheques, postal orders (including BidPay), Banker’s drafts, certified cheques and other negotiable instruments.

Not permitted on eBay
      Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant money transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.

Breaches of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

* Listing cancellation
      * Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
      * Limits on account privileges
      * Loss of PowerSeller status
      * Account suspension

This policy does not affect any payment method commonly offered on eBay today. However, there are some sellers who have listings offering to accept cash and Western Union instant money transfer, and a few who offer other payment methods that are not permitted under this policy. To avoid disruption of these sellers’ business during the holiday shopping season, eBay will delay enforcement of this policy against existing payment methods until 15th January 2006.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I was wondering why that appeared when I logged in today. I don't think that it will harm ebay as a business but it may cause some more legislation to appear in the future.

I've only got into the whole ebay thing but I've not had a problem so far. Then again, I've only been buying some of Mike's older books.

Comment

Working...
        X