Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hear that bang last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xidrep
    replied
    Too true - although I wonder what the mortality would have been had it gone up at 09:00 on Monday morning...the demographics of industrial disasters follows that of the natural ones: New Orleans' floods notably hit the poorer communities, 'cos they couldn't afford to live on the hills :|

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    Silverhand - I think it's probably a testament to the safety design of the things that something like that COULD go up so close to a residential area with no fatalities.

Lest we forget, in countries where the chemical companies have had their way in keeping the government out of health and safety, we have had Bhopal, and the huge slick of chemicals making it's way from China through Russia at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Only three tanks still burning this morning (there were 12). Hurrah for the fire service! And I guess you could see it in France if you were quite high up...

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    could the flames really be seen in France? I heard something like that on the news. I think that is still burning over there, btw, right?

I hope that everything will be alright there.

Leave a comment:

• silverhand
    replied
    It makes you think though. Everyone went bananas over Three Mile Island & Chernobyl (justifiably), yet we live with these oil depots & refineries close to population centres and no-one bats an eye until something like this happens. Apparently this is the biggest peace time explosion in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Couldn't see the sun, much, 'round here this morning; it was crepuscular at 12:00... :(

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    According to a news report, the explosion was audible in The Netherlands! 8O

Living in Bath I didn't hear a thing, but apparently the smoke from it has already reached Swindon. I'd imagine there were some dramatic sunsets in parts of the country.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    My wife's mother, just down the road from Hemel in Berkhamsted, rang us this morning advising us to "fill up the car" and mentioned that she'd heard the "whummmppph!" that morning.

My mother also rang this afternoon to see if we were alright. I said, 'Mum, we're in Milton Keynes - I don't think we were in any danger!'.

Mums - you've got to love 'em, haven't you? :lol:

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    started a topic Hear that bang last night?

Hear that bang last night?

Or rather, that: 'whummmppph!'. I did: thought it was next door's Christmas Tree falling over, but, no, it was a petrol depot forty-five miles away in Hemel Hempstead! Blimey! :|
Working...
X