Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tacoma Mall Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacoma Mall Shooting

My son and I were in the kiddie playland off the food court an hour before the shooting occurred. Thank goodness he said "Daddy, I want to go home." Fortunately for the other parents, the guy was around the corner, which is unfortunate for the victims who were shot.

http://news.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=u...cid=1102508794

Methinks we live charmed lives.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

A friend of mine would have been there right when it happened if she and her friend hadn't instead decided to see the earlier showing of their movie...

I'm so glad the little man got tired, Berry.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

They've gussied up that mall, but the criminal element that dwells therein and thereabouts has had me feeling uncomfortable since the first time I stepped into the place. Now I feel I'll be avoiding that place. It seems to attract nutjobs, unlike any other place I've ever visited.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Man, what the hell is wrong with mankind :(

Comment

A woman who said she made eye contact with the ``very clean-cut'' gunman before he opened fire told Northwest Cable News, ``When I heard the shooting I thought, 'This is a joke. ... I couldn't believe this was actually happening, that someone would do this.''
          I think this is a perfect statement of the complacent nature we find ourselves in - we never expect the unexpected. Sounds paranoid, but I keep watch, never sit with back to doors or windows; watch every moment around me, etc. For which I'm unsurprised by the shooting :|

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
            Man, what the hell is wrong with mankind :(
            Well, he did break up with his girlfriend like 6 months ago. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              Well, he did break up with his girlfriend like 6 months ago. :roll:
              Communication problems - ah, the bane of modern civilization. The quest for attention and acceptance :(

Comment

They've gussied up that mall, but the criminal element that dwells therein and thereabouts has had me feeling uncomfortable since the first time I stepped into the place. Now I feel I'll be avoiding that place.
                I've avoided it like the plague since the day I moved to the southend. Even when I lived on the eastside, the unwellness of Tacoma Mall was legendary.

Well, he did break up with his girlfriend like 6 months ago.
                Did you hear the news report that he sent the girl a text message on her cell-phone just before shooting up the place? I bet that made her feel just spiffy!

Comment

Originally posted by News Report
                  Maldonado was booked into the Pierce County Jail on six counts of assault and three counts of kidnapping, according to jail records. He was being held on $450,000 bail.
                  Kinda lame he can post bail after all that. Oh well, at least you were fortunate and glad you guys are safe :D

Comment

Re: Tacoma Mall Shooting

My son and I were in the kiddie playland off the food court an hour before the shooting occurred. Thank goodness he said "Daddy, I want to go home." Fortunately for the other parents, the guy was around the corner, which is unfortunate for the victims who were shot.

Glad you and your son are both safe. Is he aware yet of what happened there? I imagine it's a pretty big news story in your area. I can understand you not wanting to go back there, but I imagine the storeowners must also be concerned about the negative effect this shooting may have on trade.

Methinks we live charmed lives.
                    I've commented to my wife on more than one occassion when we've been on the M1 motorway (into London) how often we appear to have missed a car crash by mere minutes, and that if we'd left home earlier we could have been a lot closer to it whenever it happened. (Seems like there's a least one significant RTA on the M1 every day as far as I can tell, but then it does run from Central London up to Yorkshire so perhaps that's not surprising.) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_motorway_%28England%29).
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                      Glad you and your son are both safe. Is he aware yet of what happened there? I imagine it's a pretty big news story in your area. I can understand you not wanting to go back there, but I imagine the storeowners must also be concerned about the negative effect this shooting may have on trade.
                      Thanks. Naturally not having been there at the time, it must seem very far away to him, if not unreal. When he woke from his nap, I showed him the local news and explained what happened. His reaction was that of a 4 1/2 year old. It's on all the local channels at news time. I generally don't run the TV frequently enough for him to be affected by the negativity, and generally get my news off the web since local coverage is so pointless. In fact, I read about the shooting and then tuned in. I guess at 4, if you didn't get shot there's a few extra hours of playing to be done. :)

Comment

I think there are parents here who know what I mean by the above. It's not a crisis to a child until you've made it a crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                          I can understand you not wanting to go back there, but I imagine the storeowners must also be concerned about the negative effect this shooting may have on trade.
                          I hear you, demos; a valid point. Thing is, crime has been a problem at this particular mall for a looooong time. The place has had a bad element as long as I can remember. It's my hope that the storeowners are actively petitioning the city of Tacoma for better law enforcement.

Comment

It seems to attract nutjobs, unlike any other place I've ever visited.
                            What does that say about you? :lol:

Seriously, though, when I heard about it this morning, I thought about shooting you and PWV emails to see if you were OK. Of course, I convinced myself that there was no way that either of you would have been anywhere near there. It's the kind of email that my wife would send, and I would then kid her about an overactive and slightly pessimistic imagination. I guess I will reconsider that conversation with her.

I'm really, really glad you're safe. And very, very sad that not everyone was.

Comment

Just now reading about the incident, had the news off all day, glad to hear that you guys are all right.
                              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                              X