Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

At What Age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At What Age...

I'm very concerned.

Caught last minute of Ellen DeGeneris' show yesterday, saw Paul McCartney performing "Get Back".

Now I'm scared.

At what age do people stop writing new songs?

At what age do people stop liking new music?

At what age do people begin saying "That's not what I grew up with?"

At what age do people stop listening to music?

At what age do people stop listening to anything but some obscure (and, typically, quite hideous) sub-genre of music?

At what age do people stop being able to use newly-released technology?

At what age do people stop and become stuck on certain prices? Corollary: when do people become stuck on paying certain obsolete rates?

When do people begin saying "I never used to..."

At what age do males start finding only one style or length of hair acceptable?

At what age do people start wearing obsolete styles of clothing? (And where in blazes do they find new obsolete styles?)

At what age does polyester become attractive?

At what age do people cease obtaining fresh pets?

At what age do people lose perception that there are constantly new actors coming on the scene?

At what age is the only acceptable television viewing series that ceased production thirty years ago?

I ask all this because I do not yet manifest any of these symptoms. I like things fresh. I compare new spins to old. I remember. Okay, I have a little trouble with baseball - but they keep changing stadium names on me.

What IS it with this 'aging' crap?

I don't want some!
    :x
    Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

I hear you, Miqque.

I'm nearing 39 and my finger is still firmly on the pulse of pop culture. I took my daughter to see Linkin Park and loved the show. I read internet comics. I know what "All Your Base" is and the reason for its existence. I had hair down to my waist, but finally cut it when my hairline receded and that was just because I didn't want to look like Gallagher. Not into polyester, though I think PVC is the bomb! I'm upset about the 'cancellation' of Arrested Development. The last DVD I bought was Resident Evil: Apocalypse. People who do not have e-mail make me scratch my head...

By way of contrast, if I were to show my parents an iPod streaming the video for Shakira's La Tortura, they would look at me as if my face were on fire or something.

So, I guess my answer to your poll would be: "Varies in direct proportion to openess of one's mind".
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Hi Miqque,

Those are all good questions. I think this is a new age though. I think in this age, people will always be up to date on pop culture and technology.

There is alot more entertainment and historical events out there now, or at least, the people have access to know everything in the world, not like the early 1900's when folks only knew about their small communities, they only heard of certain major world events like cures, wars and such.

Some have it in their personality not to change, their memories are rooted in their past.

I know things are changing, I was surprised a couple of years ago when a friend of mine who was in his fifties said he liked the new alternative bands and also punk music and was going to shows.

I say, just a generation before, people got set in their ways at about age 30.

It still holds true, about twelve years out of high school things start to change because alot of things target the 15 to 28 crowd.

I think I'm pretty hip, but I for one don't like 'gangster rap' and some hip hop, but old rap was ok. I liked all the music from the early 1990's I just like rock,metal, industrial and some hip hop. I am open to all music. I like country as well and some electronica. I am just saying that I am used to a band having some guitar and rock type format, not that music has changed, I am not in it as much, but everything else I like new and fresh.

I would hope that all the artists,musicians, movi makers I like continue to change with the world and make new stuff.

Look at William Shatner, he is an inspiration to us all, still out there doing current stuff. ;)

I will write more later,thanks,

-Lemec :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Damn. There isn't a "16" button on the poll. That's when my friend and I started complaining that children's TV programmes weren't as good as when we were young.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          I'm upset about the 'cancellation' of Arrested Development.
          FOX sure loves to cancel their best shows - just like they did Family Guy, but the fans demanded it back. LISTEN FOX! the simpsons are done and over not funny anymore, its time for new contenders. Which by the way, would have been Groening's Futurama, which was much more hilarious than recent seasons of the simpsons.

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
            Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
            I'm upset about the 'cancellation' of Arrested Development.
            FOX sure loves to cancel their best shows...
            Agreed.

...just like they did Family Guy, but the fans demanded it back. LISTEN FOX! the simpsons are done and over not funny anymore...
            Personally, I don't think Family Guy is worthy of sniffing The Simpsons' sh*t, but that's me. :P

...its time for new contenders. Which by the way, would have been Groening's Futurama...
            Yes, that's one I don't understand. I've always thought there was more to the Futurama thing than we were told. Maybe Fry looked too much like a bastard child of Rupert Murdoch's or something. Who knows.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

speaking of cancellation, ABC just cancelled the new Kolchak,hehe,they only had a few episodes,they threw it away before anyone knew it was on. It was nothing like the original of course, so they were doomed from the start I guess, what is bad though is last week's was continued and now they will not air it. :lol:

Hmm, never really watched Family Guy, it looks pretty funny though. I watched alot of the Simpsons,but just could not keep up with them. The one with the Planet of the Apes musical play in it was my favourite, right next to the one where the truck drivers used a type of 'Hal' computer to drive the trucks.

I agree with the children's shows, the new ones are very bad.

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thirtyish, to be exact. but, ixnay on the olysterpay--that's still a no-no here. ;)

i can't get into most of what's on the radio, the tube, the book shelves. i'm in my own happy little rut trying hard not to hear my mom's voice when i say stuff to my own kid.

hang in there!

Comment

Hmm, speaking as an old fart who still likes to make an exhibition occasionally, I'd have to say there is a problem with the question(s), in that there is an inbuilt assumption there that the new is better than the old. This is clearly not the case, otherwise we would have stopped listening to Dylan, Hendrix, Zeppelin, dare I say it Hawkwind, some years / decades ago.

It is the privilege of youth that you can reinvent most things that have gone before; it is the privilege of adulthood to discover that most things you thought you invented when you were young had been done (albeit differently) by your parents.

The important thing to retain is a critical faculty, so that you can make a judgement on whether something is valid, whether it is new or established.
                  \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

A very loaded question.

We live in an era when kids think it's cool to dig things from theor parents' record collection. Now it wasn't like that when I was a lad ("Never trust a hippy" and all that...).

It could be that a lot of musical forms are way past their sell-by-date. By which I mean rock music and jazz for example. I spent the '80s in rebellion against that ghastly Thatcherite era, and mainly listened to sounds from the '60s and early '70s - and, guess what? I still do. I saw Amon Duul II play live and they were great, although I have to acknowledge that they are now part of the heritage industry. However, I would have been 5 or 6 in their heyday.

You do get a longer view as you get older. It's a matter of education. I suppose I was approaching 30 when I sussed that all the punk stuff I had thought so revolutionary in my 'teens was not just a rehash of what had gone before and actually wasn't greatly removed from glam rock! So is that the age you're looking for?

Now I tend to hear the latest whatever-it-is and think "Oh, that sounds like so-and-so, only not so good".

However - I have been getting into some 'Viking Metal' recently, so I buck the stereotype there. Or is it just relief at finding prog rock in a new format?

So overall, I refuse to answer the question. Is my listening to Hawkwind and Amon Duul any more significant age-wise than my reading Arthur Machen or indeed Michael Moorcock? (I remember all those Mayflower paperbacks from schooldays...)

And why does Paul McCartney still sing "Get Back"? Because every song he's ever recorded solo is crap, that's why. No mystery there!
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

It all sounds the same to me, now. Bang bang bang - not like in my day, with Electric Dog Sex and X-mal Deutschland. Those were proper tunes you could whistle with a fractured jaw and stoked on freebase...

People never stop getting 'fresh' pets (I know some very stale pets, too...!).

I'd like to think I keep track of new things and developments, but marinade them in the deep strata of all that's gone before.

There's a bit too much emphasis placed on the 'contemporary' as the 'only way': a decent appreciation of history puts our current activities and viewpoints in their proper perspectives. We are nowhere near (and probably never will be) ultimately evolved. The lack of temporal perspective has always been a fault of our species.

It's very important to enjoy the 'now' bit, chew philosophically on the 'past' bit, and put energy into the 'coming up' bit!

Er...does that answer some of it? :oops:

Comment

The past ain't what it used to be.

eh? :?
                        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Bring Back Tomorrow
                          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Again :)

Comment

*sigh*

It's "Never trust anyone over thirty."

The point here is that people tend to get stuck in the past. To a ridiculous extreme. I keep my eyes and ears open for new and interesting stuff. Every once in a while there's even new music I like. (I did say music, rap doth not count.) Most things I find as the same old thing with new cover art. Thing is, I happen to like new cover art.

We all have roots in the past. But from roots, plants and trees must grow, or become dead vegetation. My thinking is that this is a factor in aging. As I do not particularly enjoy aging, what with the aches and pains and grey hairs growing out of my nose and all, I figure if I can keep a fresh mind, it may slow the physical aging process.

There. Magical thinking. I have confessed my neurosis. I'm all better now.
                              :roll:
                              Miqque
                              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Working...
                              X