Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Species of Lemur Named After John Cleese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Species of Lemur Named After John Cleese

Originally posted by USA Today
    Researchers from the University of Zurich have named a newly discovered species of lemur — one of the most primitive and endangered primates in the world — after the British comedian [John Cleese] in honor of his work with the animal.

The avahi cleesei, which weights less than two pounds and eats leaves, was discovered in Western Madagascar in 1990 by a team led by anthropologist Urs Thalmann and his colleague Thomas Geissman of Zurich University.

The name is a tribute to Cleese's promotion of the plight of lemurs in the movie Fierce Creatures and documentary Operation Lemur with John Cleese, the university said in a statement. A lemur even appears next to Cleese on his website.

The lemur's long legs are the only physical attribute it shares with Cleese, Thalmann told New Scientist magazine. "Woolly lemurs can't really walk — but they do enjoy silly jumps," he said.
    SOURCE: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...tm?POE=LIFISVA

More on lemurs here.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

that's pretty funny.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

When I was a child, we went on a week-long school trip to London, which included a day at London Zoo. Even at the age of ten I knew that calling a python "Monty" was the lamest thing a keeper could do, but do it they had. :(

This homage makes far more sense... but how long before the desperate writers at Will & Grace try to get lemurs to cameo as their celebrity guests? It can only be a matter of time...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Oh, thats hilarious :lol:

Comment

Douglas Adams wrote an article about going to Madagascar to see the near-extinct aye-aye lemur for the Observer magazine in 1985. This commission later spawned Adams' non-fiction book Last Chance to See (with Mark Carwadine), which chronicled their journeys to find other almost extinct species, such as the Komodo Dragon, white rhinoceroses and the Rodrigues fruitbat.

Not a few people consider LCTS to be his masterpiece, rather than the HHGTTG novels.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

that is so cool! did you see the sequel to Fish Called Wanda? they were in a zoo and i think he did a scene with a lemur? wow, it's been awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Poetgrrl
              that is so cool! did you see the sequel to Fish Called Wanda? they were in a zoo and i think he did a scene with a lemur? wow, it's been awhile.
              Hello Poetgrrl,

Do you mean "Fierce Creatures"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119115/

That was such a funny movie, I actually saw it in the theater. :D

It makes a good family movie.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yes! That's the one.

Comment

Working...
                X