Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Some What if Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some What if Scenarios

Recently I wathched The New Adventures Of Captain Scarlet. It ocurred to me that it could have been so diferent. I think it would make good anime.

Heres some stuff as to what if some books, etc had been written /made by someone else

The New Adventures Of Captain Scarlet CGI Cartoon
    Its been on MOM on saturdays and repeated on CITV.
    Its good because Jerry Anderson is the writer. It could go either way, either sick making sentimentality, or horrifying gore. Its got a lot of death in it. The idea of a indestructable character would appeal to the gore happy.When you think about it, its actually quite a scary plot.Its only Gerry Andersons not showing the gore in detail and other things that stops it being too scary.
    How about if Michael Moorcock had written it?
    Or Tolkien
    Or someone horrible, like Stephen Spielberg.

Lord of the Rings. What if someone who was more exiting, less prissy had written it? Its a great book, but it could be better.
    How about J K Rowling
    Comic book writer

Harry Potter
    Its great, but could be better.
    How about a manga or anime artist?
    someone more exiting

Use this as a scale.

Sentimental horriblness, Saving Private Ryan, nausiating romance films.
    Horrifying gore Those terrible pointless films that use gore and effects as a substitue for a plot.

These are just examples of diferent books/filmsetc.

Think up your own, this could be a good thread.

I wonder what it would be like if William S. Burroughs wrote the Lord of the Rings. Maybe it would go a little somethin' like this:

So I was itching to score some time with the Ring, you dig? I needed an excuse to get my lover, Sam, who I call Kiki, out of bed and out of my room.

"Why not go downtown and score us some pipeweed?"

Sam-Kiki saw through this ruse, but he put his pants on and went away.

I was alone with the ring, you dig. I couldn't wait to slip my finger into it. Using the ring is a different high, actually better than heroin. I smoked some reefer to get in the mood and greased my finger with vaseline to make it smoother, you dig.

Just as I was really working the ring on my finger, Sam bursts back into the room.

"I didn't want you to see me like this."

"Mr. Frodo sir! I can't see you at all!"

"Oh yeah..."

"There's some queer folk down town looking for you."

"Queer?"

"Yes sir! Strange they were!"

You get the idea. It's been awhile since I've read Burroughs or Tolkein so apologies to fans of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradi
      I wonder what it would be like if William S. Burroughs wrote the Lord of the Rings.
      Speaking of Burroughs, Edgar Rice Burroughs would have done better with LOTRs. He had a knack for telling epic tales with grand detail, but never losing a second of eventual storytelling pace.

Comment

Yeah! That would be cool. I remember loving his Jon Carter of Mars stuff as a kid. Although if memory serves, Jon Carter just "wishes" himself on the red planet by sheer force of will. I never bought that.

My favorite Frank Frazetta ink drawings are of this series. As far as I know, I've never seen a Frazetta illustration of William S. Burroughs.

Comment

I know I should really let it go after all these years, but the Tank Girl film really bugged me. As a film in itself, it's probably pretty good, and certainly quite strange and funny in places, and if it brought more fans to the shaven-headed queen of iron-clads then fair enough, but it also seemed to destroy some perfectly good comics and a lot of goodwill. In an ideal world, it would have been an animated feature, which stayed true to the original spirit and (dare I say it) English-ness of the original. No little girls in trouble, no dead boyfriend revenge plots, no slow Portishead sand-shower sequences (it's a great scene, it's just in the wrong film). What you need is serious carnage, Grange Hill uniforms, bad jokes about "spunk" beer, Presidents shatting their kecks and other such delights. The film just wasn't nasty or funny enough. The most frustrating part is how cool the few animated sequences looked on screen. More of that, please. Although the cast were great, don't get me wrong.

Let it go, Dee. Listen to Gorillaz... move on. :(
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Bradi
            Yeah! That would be cool. I remember loving his Jon Carter of Mars stuff as a kid. Although if memory serves, Jon Carter just "wishes" himself on the red planet by sheer force of will. I never bought that.

My favorite Frank Frazetta ink drawings are of this series. As far as I know, I've never seen a Frazetta illustration of William S. Burroughs.
            Actually, what happened is John Carter mastered the means of astral travel in later stories, which in later books allowed him intervals on earth to tell ERB his tale. If you recall the firt trilogy, after A Princess of Mars, John ended up back on Earth for 12 yrs (a long wait for Dejah Thoris mind you) and after the next two books, he didn't return, unless by his own will.

Comment

Working...
            X