Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I wish I'd won the lottery, instead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talisant
    replied
    Traversed a wide and very deep gulley twice in the same night running across a giant tree root, thought I was in a flat field, didn't realize the truth until the next day.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    The closest I ever came was a situation where I didn't know how close to death I was until two and half-weeks after the "incident."

Summer of 2000. I was working nights at the time; the only person at one of our small hotels in town between 11:00pm and 7:00am. It was about 10:40pm when it happened. I was in my car, only a few miles from home, on my way to the hotel. A sudden pain shot through the center of my chest and I was begining to have difficulty catching my breath. It just hurt too much to take a full breath. At first I thought maybe it was heartburn or acid reflux; I've never experienced both and this felt like something fluid moving around in middle of chest around where I image my esophogus would me. I fought through the pain and got to work.

Well, 19 hours later, I'm in the doctor's office and it turns out I was suffering from Spontaneous Pneumothorax...a spontaneous collapsed lung.

Well, after two surgeries, a week in the hospital and alot of medication (I did learn that have a bad reaction to inter-veinous morphine...and that Demerol isn't strong enough to kill the pain of have someone put 30+ staples in your lung and scuff the inside of your pleural-cavity with a brillo-pad...however, epideral morphene supported by Benedryl shots to reduce swelling works wonders! :roll: ) I finally had two more-or-less fully functional lungs. Ten days later I had a follow-up visit and the doctor pointed out the new curve in my aeorta...he informed me that if there had been just a little more air pressure around it, it could have collapse my aeorta, killing me instantly.

That was a feaky realization. But hardly the same as being struck by lightning!!

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Dude. No way!

I once jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 23,000 feet. But, you know, that was voluntary and the odds were more in my favor... unlike taking a 300,000 volt lightning bolt where the sun don't shine. Ouch.

So glad you're still with us!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    started a topic I wish I'd won the lottery, instead...

I wish I'd won the lottery, instead...

I was once struck by lightning, the odds of which are slightly better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) than winning the lottery. Fortunately, I wasn't injured permanently, nor was I diisfigured--but I do have a really cool scar that only my wife can see. The first thing people say to me when they find out is either "that explains a lot," or "do you play the lottery?"

It was a real near-death experience for me, but I think it is quite funny now. I beat the odds, but not in a way that we usually celebrate. Fortunately, it gave me unusual clarity about the direction of my life, and I strongly believe in the ability of a rubber rain parka to ground out raw electricity.

Anyone else beat the odds in an unusual way? Or have a near-death experience?
Working...
X