Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I wish I'd won the lottery, instead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I'd won the lottery, instead...

I was once struck by lightning, the odds of which are slightly better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) than winning the lottery. Fortunately, I wasn't injured permanently, nor was I diisfigured--but I do have a really cool scar that only my wife can see. The first thing people say to me when they find out is either "that explains a lot," or "do you play the lottery?"

It was a real near-death experience for me, but I think it is quite funny now. I beat the odds, but not in a way that we usually celebrate. Fortunately, it gave me unusual clarity about the direction of my life, and I strongly believe in the ability of a rubber rain parka to ground out raw electricity.

Anyone else beat the odds in an unusual way? Or have a near-death experience?

Dude. No way!

I once jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 23,000 feet. But, you know, that was voluntary and the odds were more in my favor... unlike taking a 300,000 volt lightning bolt where the sun don't shine. Ouch.

So glad you're still with us!
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

The closest I ever came was a situation where I didn't know how close to death I was until two and half-weeks after the "incident."

Summer of 2000. I was working nights at the time; the only person at one of our small hotels in town between 11:00pm and 7:00am. It was about 10:40pm when it happened. I was in my car, only a few miles from home, on my way to the hotel. A sudden pain shot through the center of my chest and I was begining to have difficulty catching my breath. It just hurt too much to take a full breath. At first I thought maybe it was heartburn or acid reflux; I've never experienced both and this felt like something fluid moving around in middle of chest around where I image my esophogus would me. I fought through the pain and got to work.

Well, 19 hours later, I'm in the doctor's office and it turns out I was suffering from Spontaneous Pneumothorax...a spontaneous collapsed lung.

Well, after two surgeries, a week in the hospital and alot of medication (I did learn that have a bad reaction to inter-veinous morphine...and that Demerol isn't strong enough to kill the pain of have someone put 30+ staples in your lung and scuff the inside of your pleural-cavity with a brillo-pad...however, epideral morphene supported by Benedryl shots to reduce swelling works wonders! :roll: ) I finally had two more-or-less fully functional lungs. Ten days later I had a follow-up visit and the doctor pointed out the new curve in my aeorta...he informed me that if there had been just a little more air pressure around it, it could have collapse my aeorta, killing me instantly.

That was a feaky realization. But hardly the same as being struck by lightning!!
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Traversed a wide and very deep gulley twice in the same night running across a giant tree root, thought I was in a flat field, didn't realize the truth until the next day.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Oo, oo! I just thought of one!

Was out hiking with a couple friends on Sinclair Island (in the San Juans) and heard gunshots. Someone was hunting on the island (highly illegal). Next thing we know, the shots are immediately being followed by the whizz of bullets coming frighteningly close to us -- maybe 20 feet off!

We screamed for them to cease fire and they did. Rather miffed, we went off in the direction from which the shots came, but never discovered who it was.

Comment

My father slid his car during a winter and crashed into the back of a 18-wheeler with the car stopping a foot away from the back bumber of the truck! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
              Was out hiking with a couple friends on Sinclair Island (in the San Juans) and heard gunshots. Someone was hunting on the island (highly illegal). Next thing we know, the shots are immediately being followed by the whizz of bullets coming frighteningly close to us -- maybe 20 feet off!
              What is it they say about idiots and guns? :roll: :)

Comment

nothing close to death for me or my friends but...

we almost lost my son. :( he picked up a snack bar off the counter and started snacking on it while at his Grandmom's house. and he choked on it. she saved him with the Heimlich (sp?) maneuver after quite a while of trying. he had speckles and spots on his face from the crying so hard afterwards. and frankly, if it were me in her place, i'm not sure if i would have known how to do it right. god bless ellen, all i can say.

life sure does look different being a mom.

Comment

never run with pencils!

It was around christmas time, I was only about three years old and my parents had gone christmas shopping leaving me with my nana. When they came back I was so excited that I ran to meet them at the door, clutching a pencil I had been drawing with, I tripped over the carpet and the pencil ended up embeded in my eye socket a small fraction away from my eyeball!
                  Although I have absolutely no memory of the incident I do feel I was rather lucky not to have lost my site or worse it actually killing me. 8O

Comment

On the subject of childhood injuries*, when I was three I managed to sever the top of my left thumb in the front garden gate (I stuck my thumb in the hinged side of the gate and pushed... ). I vaguely recall being put in the pram (this was in the days before my parents had a car) with my mangled thumb wrapped in a (bloody) tea towel and taken to hospital.

The surgeons managed to reattach the top of my thumb, but to this day my left thumb is a quarter-of-an-inch *longer* than my right!

*Why do I have the feeling that this thread will turn into an online version of that scene from Jaws where they compare old wounds? :D
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

When I was born, the umbilical cord was wrapped round my neck, and my mother had to have a caesarian (sp?) to get me out. Not long after, I had a fit caused by oxygen starvation.
                      The fact that my mother and I are alive and well, and I have the mental capacity to write this, is incredible good fortune.

On the subject of scars, I have two big ones on my feet an lower calves from a series of operations to correct my clubbed feet.

Comment

demos99 wrote:
                        *Why do I have the feeling that this thread will turn into an online version of that scene from Jaws where they compare old wounds?
                        or like in the 'Chasing Amy' scene inspired by 'Jaws' :lol:

it would be funny if the eternal champions got together to compare old wounds,hehe,they would probaly have some of the same ones.

anyway, back to the topic,

I avoided a nasty auto collision once that could have been deadly, but that was not that big of a deal.

I had a roman candle firework go off an inch from my face, barely avoided that one, turned just in time. ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                          I had a roman candle firework go off an inch from my face, barely avoided that one, turned just in time. ;)
                          To give you an idea what kind of childhood I had, we used to have battles in which we would fire Roman Candles at each other (from a minimum distance of 25 feet, mind). Those little flaming balls just bounce right off of a heavy jean jacket, but if one lands in your hair... :shake: We also used to make flamethrowers out of a spray bottle, gasoline and a Bic lighter. Ah, good times! Good, insane times!

Comment

Why did the chicken cross the road?
                            To get away from those damn-fool kids!

I'm not going to post the rules for the "bullet" game
                            or for the "match head" game,
                            suffice it to say,

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING? :)
                            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I work as a deli clerk and one time I sliced some tomatoes on the slicer, felt a sudden jerk. . . I looked down, the hand catching the tomato slices beneath had gotten to close and cut off half my thumb nail - it didn't hurt, or feel it, just a feeling something was wrong. Being a real macho man, I ripped the loose nail off and just took my lighter to burn the wound shut, wrapped it up and back to work in ten minutes flat! Either I'm dedicated or mad! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X