Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Why the Scots still have their souls.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why the Scots still have their souls.

    http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2147172005

    'Know you that I am Elric of Melnibone, despoiler of his homeland and slayer of kin, and that I bear the black runesword Stormbringer'

    'Aye, izzaright, y'big jessie? Well, youse can take yer wee penknife an' wave it aboot someplace else. Yergot tha', pal?'

  • #2
    Re: Why the Scots still have their souls.

    Originally posted by Zax
    http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2147172005
    Lame.

    Comment


    • #3
      I once "foiled" a mugging attempt aimed at me - I was walking to my apartment late one night in Richmond, Virginia during my grad school days and happend to be bringing a foil home from a fencing class to practice with and had it hidden inside my overcoat so as not to frighten anyone I might meet, two thugs stepped out of a dark alley (seriously) and tried to shake me down, I opened my coat, flashed the foil, and laughed like a maniac, luckily for me they took off running, so I say, if they criminalize sword ownership, then only the criminals (and maniacs) will have...uh...swords. :)
      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Talisant
        I once "foiled" a mugging attempt aimed at me - I was walking to my apartment late one night in Richmond, Virginia during my grad school days and happend to be bringing a foil home from a fencing class to practice with and had it hidden inside my overcoat so as not to frighten anyone I might meet, two thugs stepped out of a dark alley (seriously) and tried to shake me down, I opened my coat, flashed the foil, and laughed like a maniac, luckily for me they took off running, so I say, if they criminalize sword ownership, then only the criminals (and maniacs) will have...uh...swords. :)
        very cool, that's showin' them. :D

        There are probaly more crimes commited with a baseball bat, but they have not banned those yet.

        More people are killed by cars.

        "With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

        Comment


        • #5
          Anything can be a weapon! Put like the article said, there alot of responsible people who make a living with swordcraft - blacksmith, recreationsits, actos, swordsman, fencers, etc - so its not a bunch of lunatics

          Comment


          • #6
            here,here. You are quite right. :D

            "With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, well, when the Scots get all hyped up on whiskey and haggis, and when the wind blows free like up their kilts, they can wreak havock with a Claymore . . .

              Seriously, though :D

              Why do people never learn that banning something doesn't decrease it's illeagal use?

              Change the Human mindset (or whatever ya wanna call it) and crime will disappear. 'Course, Politicians will be out of work, so you know they'll never do it!

              Baseball/cricket bats, prybars, table & chair legs, rocks, pointed sticks are all suitable sword replacements.
              Madness is always the best armor against Reality

              Comment


              • #8
                One favourite ned weapon, in Scotland, a year, or two, back, was two bread knives taped together. The resulting ragged wound being that much harder to stitch back together.

                Yes, we're luvverly folks, with our wind tossed kilts and the haggi running wild. :D

                Attempting to ban edged weapons in Scotland probably is a knee jerk, over reaction. But, knives sure are the weapon of choice.
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3750568.stm

                Stabbings 'a public health issue'
                BBC News Online: 17 October, 2004

                Knife crime in the west of Scotland should be treated as a public health issue like heart disease or cancer, according to a leading doctor.


                Thousands of stabbings take place every year

                Last year there were more than 9,000 violent incidents in the Strathclyde area.

                Andrew Murday, director of the Scottish Heart Transplant Unit, said the issue has to be reviewed.

                Mr Murday said knife crime was a public health priority which the health board should look at.

                He told BBC Radio's Sunday Live programme: "If people realised that your chances of being murdered in Glasgow were twice as high as they are in London then people would hopefully begin to talk about it.

                "We hope that the Greater Glasgow NHS, the health board, might consider taking up the issue of violence as a specific targeted area for public health efforts."

                Sword attacks

                He added: "You're talking about thousands of people affected each year, just in Glasgow alone."

                Mr Murday is calling for a multi-agency approach involving police, religious groups, community groups and a full debate on knife carrying and its effects.

                Last year Strathclyde Police found nearly 3,000 blades being carried illegally in a public place.

                Rudy Crawford, an A&E consultant at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, said: "People carry all sorts of weapons, some of them quite horrific, ranging from small pocket knives that they think can't inflict a fatal injury, which is entirely wrong, up to machetes, bayonets, swords.

                "Swords are actually fairly popular and I think we in the west of Scotland, and in Glasgow in particular, probably see more sword injuries than anywhere else in the UK or even Europe for that matter."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why the Scots still have their souls.

                  Originally posted by Zax
                  http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2147172005

                  'Know you that I am Elric of Melnibone, despoiler of his homeland and slayer of kin, and that I bear the black runesword Stormbringer'

                  'Aye, izzaright, y'big jessie? Well, youse can take yer wee penknife an' wave it aboot someplace else. Yergot tha', pal?'
                  8O

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DeepFixer
                    Why do people never learn that banning something doesn't decrease it's illeagal use?

                    Change the Human mindset (or whatever ya wanna call it) and crime will disappear. 'Course, Politicians will be out of work, so you know they'll never do it!
                    Recall the western movie "Shane," I always remember the speech he gave when the mother protested teaching his gun to fire a gun. He said a gun is a tool, no diffrence that an axe or a plow. Its all about who uses it.

                    Guns don't kill people; people kill people

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Azariel
                      ...

                      Recall the western movie "Shane," I always remember the speech he gave when the mother protested teaching his gun to fire a gun. He said a gun is a tool, no diffrence that an axe or a plow. Its all about who uses it.

                      Guns don't kill people; people kill people
                      Guns and machetes are just that much more efficient than nails, fists and teeth. :(

                      And not forgetting that Shane could also be seen as a piece of Eisenhower era, Cold War propaganda.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Azariel
                        Recall the western movie "Shane," I always remember the speech he gave when the mother protested teaching his gun to fire a gun. He said a gun is a tool, no diffrence that an axe or a plow. Its all about who uses it.

                        Guns don't kill people; people kill people
                        I can't watch the movie. That kid is really f ing annoying.

                        It's a clichأ©, but I do agree with it. It is all about who uses it.
                        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, the biggest difference between tools like, axes and ploughs and guns, is that axes and ploughs can be put to other purposes than killing and wounding, of course.

                          (Hunting don't really count when it comes to semi-automatic weapons, etc. and I certainly don't count sports and recreational uses, like target practice and etc. as legitmate tool using activities)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Guns is a debate on its own, but I was just showing an example. Swords are tools, death dealers and many other things. I think its dumb to make 'em illegal, its about who wields it.

                            "What is a steel combared to the hand who wields it?"

                            - Thulsa Doom, Conan the Barbariab :D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Azariel
                              Guns is a debate on its own, but I was just showing an example. Swords are tools, death dealers and many other things. I think its dumb to make 'em illegal, its about who wields it.

                              "What is a steel combared to the hand who wields it?"

                              - Thulsa Doom, Conan the Barbariab :D
                              I'm not going to touch that debate with a ten foot pole. haha :lol:

                              (even though I'm tempted to see what MM's view would be on it.)

                              Conan the Barbarian is such a great movie. :D

                              "With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                              - Michael Moorcock

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X