Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

If you were a superhero...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were a superhero...

... what would your special power(s) be?

This started as a light-hearted discussion between my friends and I before a pub quiz on Monday night. Thinking about the jobs and hobbies that we each had, we started to think about the special powers that we could possess, Mystery Men style!

I, for some reason that I'm not too sure how, became Prog Rock Boy with the power to summon prog rock legends to aid me in battle against my foes. I've since been left with an image of Rick Wakeman rising from the floor playing the mighty Wurlitzer Organ.

So, does anyone else want to reveal their secret identity? :)

ugh, I swore I replied to this thread. . . :?

Either way, I'd like Immortality, Highlander style! The rest would come with time of plotting evil schemes :D

Edit: Ah, I see, if I were to have a power that reflected me, it would be EMOTIONLESS BOY, dunno how that transmute into a power though lol

Comment

This one comes from my nickname, Shadow.
      People have a tendency not to notice me and be very surprised when I say something and they finally notice me. Some of my friends claim that I go invisible on the sometimes. It can be a little bit disconcerting when I am standing right in front of someone who is shorter than me and they don't see me, but it happens all the time. :lol:

S. Ombre (yes, the S stands for Shadow)

Comment

Re: If you were a superhero...

Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
        ... what would your special power(s) be?

I, for some reason that I'm not too sure how, became Prog Rock Boy with the power to summon prog rock legends to aid me in battle against my foes. I've since been left with an image of Rick Wakeman rising from the floor playing the mighty Wurlitzer Organ.
        Now that would be a good power!
        If I was to be a superhero, I'm not sure what I would want but, to be rather boring, being able to fly would be rather nice. I've dreamed about it for a very long time. In fact, I even wrote an essay on how fun flying was for English, on the basis of the experience of my dreams. Funny that I never got my mark back on that essay...

Comment

Extreme garlic breath with which to shrivel evil doers...oh, right, you mean super powers that we don't already posses, maybe the power of the boring monologue - the ability to put anyone into an intsant stupor using only a self-concerned harangue. :)
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

The one I day-dream about the most, is the power to make people think I've paid them when I haven't. "First class ticket to Paris? There you go, sir." Thank you very much. I guess that makes me more of a super-villain though... Con-Man? :)
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

for me, teleportation and the ability to shape shift into a wolf or werewolf.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The ability - whenever I do or say something really dumb - to reverse time for, say, 10 seconds and try again without making the same mistake. Yes, I would be Second-Chance Man. :)
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
                  ugh, I swore I replied to this thread. . . :?
                  As did I. I believe we lost about 24 hours worth of posts a few days back.

Anyhoo, I had mentioned that invisibility and the ability to pass through solid matter would be a mean combination, but if I had to choose only one power, I would be torn between choosing teleportation (a la Nightcrawler) or the ability to fly without my broom. :)

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    I guess that makes me more of a super-villain though... Con-Man? :)
                    Isn't being a super-villian far more fun? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                      Isn't being a super-villian far more fun? :D
                      How soon after you get tenure will you be diverting funds towards a Death-Ray? I need to know in case it effects property prices... 8O
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

The UK is safe, but the greater Austin area is in grave danger :twisted: :lol:

I guess my super-villian power is--

Academic Freedom!

Comment

While Spiderman gets my vote for coolest superhero, personally I'd probably be happier as a mystic astral travelling sorcerer like Doc Strange or a mystic yogi like Vishvamitra from Ramayana. Vishvamitra once made an entire universe for someone using his mystic power, but it acidentally came out upside down.

However, realistically I'm probably better off following in Doc's footsteps and considering a more realistic superpower, like the ability to finish what I start without getting sidetracked and leaving uncompleted projects littered all over the place.

Comment

I did have this idea for a spoof character:

He was going to turn up in Sunnydale and have a complex, love-hate, relationship with Willow, but little came of it. :roll:

Comment

Gah - this topic-title's just pushed Stephen Lynch's song 'Superhero' into my mind. Not a pleasant experience, it must be said.
                              Arma virumque cano.

Comment

Working...
                              X