Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Science presumes Multiverse a Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science presumes Multiverse a Reality

Is there a copy of you reading this article? A person who is not you but who lives on a planet called Earth, with misty mountains, fertile fields and sprawling cities, in a solar system with eight other planets? The life of this person has been identical to yours in every respect. But perhaps he or she now decides to put down this article without finishing it, while you read on.

I just found a link MM mentioned some time ago. The SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN discusses the existance of the multiverse. Interesting reading, wherever you are. You might already have read it or you might be the author her/himself and don't know it ...

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?colID=1&articleID=000F1EDD-B48A-1E90-8EA5809EC5880000 :idea:

L'Etranger
    Google ergo sum

Perhaps, in that parallel Republican universe, the competition to supply electricity for Montanans is so fierce that we now enjoy power almost too cheap to meter, delivered reliably from stable, long-term companies led by conscientious CEOs who actually serve the best interests of their customers and employees.

If there is such a parallel universe, we can only hope that somehow, some day, some way, Bush and his deregulation cheerleaders are mysteriously and permanently transported there to live in the sheer harmony of the world they will have created for themselves.

Source: The Missoula Independent
    URL: http://www.everyweek.com/News/News.asp?no=3461
    I suppose there is a version where everything has gone wrong.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...A5809EC5880000
    "Jerry Cornelius was based, for instance, on a young man I used to see around Notting Hill where there was also a greengrocer called Cornelius of London."

--Michael Moorcock

Comment

Re: Scientific Theory of Multiple Universes

I had a read of that fascinating article that you posted the link for LEtranger. I've been thinking about the implications ever since (or more precisely an infinite number of I's in an infinite number of universes have been thinking or not thinking about an infinite number of variations on the article).

It's quite mind boggling. It would be cool to travel to another universe.
      :-) flamingo

Comment

It's quite mind boggling. It would be cool to travel to another universe.
        Yes Flamingo, and it also raises the question of individual responsibility, doesn't it? Who in the long chain (chain?) of multiplex-selves would be the one to blame for certain character defects or deeds the other only vary, yet still relate to.
        Or - are my defects and faults clearly my own and only my own responsibility? Sticking just to what goes on in our own Uni- (hence: "single"-)verse we soften exculpate persons for what they have done if severe damage to their emotional lives had been committed by their parents or others. But these can be identified, guilt can be weighed. Justly so or not - we risk to assess this. With the real culprit being in a woodpile on another plane (which is not accepted by the Laws on this plane) it could get pretty difficult. :arrow:
        HOWEVER, all that's the great intellectual super-mega-kick I got out of Michael Moorcock confronting me with the concept through his books! Eternal and multiversed thanks for that, Mike!
        :!: :!: :!: :!:
        Google ergo sum

Comment

the multiverse as an infinite array of universes

I daresay this possibly should go to a different thread, but this is the closest I could find. To follow on from Letranger’s comment about personal responsibility, if the Multiverse is accepted as true, that seems to me to invalidate religious ideas such as sin and consequently Hell, unless you have your soul splitting off to match the appropriate local universe’s afterlife. I don’t know if there have been any official pronouncements by organised religion on the relationship between ‘many universes’ and their beliefs, but I’m certain there must be a debate going on somewhere.

Having said that, I’d like to float an idea to see what kind of a reaction it gets.

The/A Universe has a single thread of history in which events either happened or did not happen. The Multiverse has infinite threads of history, being constituted by an array of an infinite number of universes, each one slightly different from its neighbours.

An event in one local universe happened; in a different local universe, it did not happen. Overall – in the Multiverse as a whole – P the probability of the event/(1-P) matches the proportion of local universes in which the event occurred/did not occur. If an event has even an infinitesimal probability, then it must have occurred somewhere, in some local universe.

Conclusion: All fiction is fact as fiction relates events that must have occurred somewhere.

Comment

I've posted some thoughts on this I don't want to dupkicate here under a thread called 'The Nature of Reality' under the Q&A.
            I like the fact that Mike's work seems to include both ideas of Multiverses - both parallel worlds (in Jerry Cornelius, and The Guild of Temporal Adventurers seemed - at least at first - restricted to alternatives of our Universe), but the EC Multiverse is more like Brane theory - and of course he's started referencing this stuff himself (first in the Second Ether with it's fractal scales, and in The Scrayling Tree).

Comment

Jules, thank you for redirecting me. I've found the other thread.
              Best
              Phil

Comment

It kinda hurts my head to think about it. It is possible though. What if theres' a version of me sitting here typing in another universe, except that im a monkey due to the current fad of altering genetic structures and splicing them with animals...

Comment

That's actually not so farfetched an idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X