Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Warsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsaw

I'm sorry, but I had an instantaneous image there of crudely-printed Anti-Mike posters stuck over crumbling walls in the darker suburbs of Warsaw... :|

Originally posted by Perdix
    I'm sorry, but I had an instantaneous image there of crudely-printed Anti-Mike posters stuck over crumbling walls in the darker suburbs of Warsaw... :|
    I'm sorry too. Does your doctor know about your visions?
    BTW, there are no crumbling walls in the suburbs of Warsaw.

Comment

Better than London, then. :P

Comment

At least London has walls left to crumble though. :P
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
          At least London has walls left to crumble though. :P
          Warsaw indeed HAD no walls. It was 60 years ago, when German nazis completely destroyed the city in revenge for the Warsaw Uprising. It took 10 years to rebuild our capital. As you can see, walls in Warsaw are too new to crumble.

Comment

Veering Off Topic

Krzysiek, I have to say that I very much like your website although I'm not a consumer of steampunk. Do you consider Hawkmoon steampunk? What of Mike's stuff do you consider steampunk if any of it?
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Cool comix Kraysiek, Nel rules.
              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Re: Hawkmoon

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                What of Mike's stuff do you consider steampunk if any of it?
                "A Nomad of the Time Streams" and - though it's discussible - "The Dancers at the End of Time".

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                Do you consider Hawkmoon steampunk?
                Steampunk is a twisted, postmodern look at the 19th century. It could be described as a fantatic fin-de-siecle that have never existed, and couldn't even have been imagined in the real fin-de-siecle. It's not only an anachronistic technology (though this is the most spectacular aspect of the genre). Steampunk uses different elements of the contemporary speculative fiction: hard SF, fantasy, horror, political fiction, crossovers, superheroes etc.

Hawkmoon is definitely not steampunk. It's a PUNK without STEAM. Gloriana is much closer to the idea of steampunk, even if it has nothing to do with the age of steam.

Originally posted by Talisant
                Cool comix Kraysiek, Nel rules.
                Thanks, but these are not my drawings. I'm just a co-writer.

Comment

Sadly the "chronology" part of the site reminded me that there are several End of Time stories I haven't read... but I own more "Steampunk" than I thought! Having throughly enjoyed the Bastable stories, I imagine there's a lot more on that list that I might enjoy... although I do slightly resent the fact that I now have songs from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang looping through my head.

"My fine four-fendered friend..." :(
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Working...
                  X