Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcockistas, get-together !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcockistas, get-together !

High time it happened (again). Is anybody organising anything?
    UK? France?

If enough fancy the idea I'd suggest Munich in next May, a guided tour included by myself to all the places that are mentioned in Pyat IV which will be out by then. I'd also help finding accomodations etc. May is usually a great month and a long weekend here would be fun, I am sure.
    Google ergo sum

You make Munich sound quite tempting, L'Etranger! High time I tried some of those, 'alt' biers. :)

Comment

"Alt" I find too strong usually, but that's up to you. I prefer certain "unfiltered" beers the little breweries make and which can't be preserved for very long. Then there's the yeasty "Weissbier" in many variations which is delicious after sports or after a "gig" on stage ...
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Sounds even better! I could bring my folding bike. :)

Comment

Having spent a few years in places near Munchen, like Wurzburg, Ansbach, Memmingen, Augsburg and all the little rathausen between I can make the following reccomendations:

Dunkelweisen (dark, bitter and sour)
          Colaweisen (1/2 cola, 1/2 weisen)
          Spatzie (1/2 cola, 1/2 crystal weisen)
          Tucher (a tasty weisen)
          Rattler (1/2 limo (lemon fizzie), 1/2 crystal weisen)
          Plum schnapps
          And there's a new krauter (herbal) liquor going round call Ramazotti (sp?)

I add for the benefit of those males who find themselves unattached and with a preference for women: There is no better time of year than May and June in Germany to meet those lovely women. Just my :2cents:
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Thinking of heading over, Berry? :)

Comment

Berry, thanks for the tremendous effort to tell everybody there's something else than alcohol in Bavaria !
              Yes, the girls all seem to reemerge from hibernation in May, and one or the other attractive man too, I learnt. My French niece in London ( :? sorry, complicated story ...!) is dating a German for some time now, much to my amazement.
              Film buffs come mid-May for International Documentary Film Festival, or end of June for Munich International Filmfest, usually very open access to celebs and directors, more like a big garden party.
              The only two periods I refuse to show people around are during Carnaval (called "Fasching" here) and during "Oktoberfest" (which is on right now). Both seasons I loathe, but no hurricanes go hither to flush it all away.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

AM: I have family (in-laws) over there, so it's not out of the question. I'd love to swing by England on my way in or out.

LE: Now, I was there for 4 Faschings and either I was left on the outside or near The Devil's Basement there was little celebration of it. I never went to Munchen for Oktoberfest.

Now for the other fests, especially Kilianifest and Mozartfest I have a great deal of affection. Liters of great beer, wonderful music all around the base of the Schloss next to the Rhein, grapes busting off their vines and delicious roasting chicken. Then come the wonderful winefests in Schweinfurt and Kitzegen.

I'm weeping that I am not there now.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - FAITHFUL ECKART.

"OH, would we were further! Oh, would we were home,
                The phantoms of night tow'rd us hastily come,

The band of the Sorceress sisters.
                They hitherward speed, and on finding us here,
                They'll drink, though with toil we have fetch'd it, the beer,

And leave us the pitchers all empty."

Thus speaking, the children with fear take to flight,
                When sudden an old man appears in their sight:

"Be quiet, child! children, be quiet!
                From hunting they come, and their thirst they would still,
                So leave them to swallow as much as they will,

And the Evil Ones then will be gracious."

As said, so 'twas done! and the phantoms draw near,
                And shadowlike seem they, and grey they appear,

~Yet blithely they sip and they revel
                The beer has all vanish'd, the pitchers are void;
                With cries and with shouts the wild hunters, o'erjoy'd,

Speed onward o'er vale and o'er mountain.

The children in terror fly nimbly tow'rd home,
                And with them the kind one is careful to come:

"My darlings, oh, be not so mournful!--
                "They'll blame us and beat us, until we are dead."--
                "No, no! ye will find that all goes well," he said;

"Be silent as mice, then, and listen!

"And he by whose counsels thus wisely ye're taught,
                Is he who with children loves ever to sport.

The trusty and faithful old Eckart.
                Ye have heard of the wonder for many a day,
                But ne'er had a proof of the marvellous lay,--

Your hands hold a proof most convincing."

They arrive at their home, and their pitchers they place
                By the side of their parents, with fear on their face,

Awaiting a beating and scolding.
                But see what they're tasting: the choicest of beer!
                Though three times and four times they quaff the good cheer

The pitchers remain still unemptied.

The marvel it lasts till the dawning of day;
                All people who hear of it doubtless will say:

"What happen'd at length to the pitchers?"
                In secret the children they smile, as they wait;
                At last, though, they stammer, and stutter, and prate,

And straightway the pitchers were empty.

And if, children, with kindness address'd ye may be,
                Whether father, or master, or alderman he,

Obey him, and follow his bidding!
                And if 'tis unpleasant to bridle the tongue,
                Yet talking is bad, silence good for the young--

And then will the beer fill your pitchers!

The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I could do a London meet-up...yeah... But not between December-Febuary since I'll be away in Wisconsin seeing my girlfriend.

I need to get out more. 8O

Comment

I'd happily come to Bavaria. Beer, Girls, Mountains, Girls and Beer.
                    But my wife won't let me. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                      I'd happily come to Bavaria. Beer, Girls, Mountains, Girls and Beer.
                      But my wife won't let me. :roll:
                      Tell her there are lakes here too! You could bring her with you and rent a rowboat on Lake Starnberg and show her where Mad King Ludwig II drowned (or was drowned by maligne agents 8) as 19th century conspiracy theories that still are afloat would have it)
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Muenchen is an interesting place to visit, irrespective of the qualities to which Perdix alluded. Perdix should use "cultural" arguments on his wife if he wishes to convince. It ought to be easy enough.

What he does once he gets there is his affair.

Have a ball, people.

I agree that being in Muenchen during Oktoberfest or Fasching holds few attractions for many of us.

LSN

Comment

LEtranger, you being a documentary film maker, I don't suppose there's any chance that you might be heading to:
                          The International Film Festival Rotterdam 2006
                          (January 25th - February 5th 2006)
                          ?

http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/en/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by AndroMan
                            LEtranger, you being a documentary film maker, I don't suppose there's any chance that you might be heading to:
                            The International Film Festival Rotterdam 2006
                            (January 25th - February 5th 2006)
                            ?

http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/en/index.html
                            No, I shan't be going. Never been there although they actually showed a doc of mine in 1989. I'm too tied up at that time of the year, and besides, I hate discussing things until nothing's left of the impression a film made on you. It is vivisection at times. As I now mainly work as a commissioning editor for a TV station it is a double strain to survive the permanent pitching. Whoever you talk to, or inadvertently smile at, wants to sell you something. I know it is desparate for many, but my means are also limited.

I might go to the http://www.shadowfestival.nl/. At least I'm tempted. Smaller and usually more daring in the selection, certainly more so than Amsterdam.
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger

I might go to the http://www.shadowfestival.nl/. At least I'm tempted. Smaller and usually more daring in the selection, certainly more so than Amsterdam.
                              The: Shadow Festival 2005, 6th Edition, November 21 – 30, Amsterdam?

If you decide to go, let us know in good time! We might be able to arrange some kind of impromptu meet. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X