Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tongue-Eating Bug Found in Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tongue-Eating Bug Found in Fish

It's a strange world, kids.

Originally posted by news.bbc.co.uk
    A gross creature which gobbles up a fish's tongue and then replaces it with its own body has been found in Britain for the first time.

The bug - which has the scientific name cymothoa exigua - was discovered inside the mouth of a red snapper bought from a London fishmonger.

The 3.5cm creature had grabbed onto the fish's tongue and slowly ate away at it until only a stub was left.

It then latched onto the stub and became the fish's "replacement tongue".
    SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/4209004.stm

Thankfully, it seems to only like fish tongues.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

All together now:

http://www.113.d2g.com/orange-pages/lyrics/umh147.htm

\"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Oh, man! Do sharks get them? It's not in my Gastroenteric Parasites of Teleosts, even though it is. Nasty little bugger.

Comment

Re: Tongue-Eating Bug Found in Fish

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran

Thankfully, it seems to only like fish tongues.

Hmmmm, I don't know ....!
        I can think of a handful of politicians that I now wish were fish!
        Google ergo sum

Comment

More info:

"Cymothoa exigua, a crustacean, is the only known parasite that effectively replaces a body organ. It makes its home in the mouth of a fish, where it drains blood from the tongue until it withers and dies. It attaches itself to the remaining stub and the fish is actually able to utilize it as a replacement tongue to draw in and manipulate food, which the parasite shares."

http://www.bogleech.com/bio-para.html

Does that help at all, Perdix? :)

Originally posted by LEtranger
          Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          ...Thankfully, it seems to only like fish tongues.
          I can think of a handful of politicians that I now wish were fish!
          :lol: Agreed!
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

:yuck:

Comment

That is pretty strange. Does anyone remember a fews years ago when Japanese fishermen caught a large creature that looked like a dinosaur in their net? What was that thing? I never heard any more about it. Every once in awhile sombody will find a fish that they thought was extinct.

Speaking of strange aquatic creatures, what happened to those fish that could walk on land and were a danger to the environment?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I don't know if he has gills, but you aren't incidently speaking of Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Just couldn't resist ...
                Google ergo sum

Comment

That is weird...sick and weird. That could be out of an episode of the Outer Limits if it did that to humans.

Comment

8O

Comment

Working...
                    X