Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

'The Guardian' goes tabloid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Guardian' goes tabloid

Oh, really. :x

If it's true, I say about time. Those big papers are not practical. I'm far more likely to buy The Guardian in tabloid format.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

For me its never been the size or shape of the paper but the content that makes me buy it.

Which is why I read The Independent. :lol:
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

How am I going to hide from the chavs when I'm out on the pavement at the cafe now? I'll have to take a sheet.

To redress the balance, PX will now be printed on A1 paper! Hah!

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
          How am I going to hide from the chavs when I'm out on the pavement at the cafe now? I'll have to take a sheet.
          Well, you could only go to the cafe on Sundays - the Sunday papers are still broadsheet - or if you must go during the week, there's always the FT.

Of course, if you're hiding from chavs a pink newspaper might not be terribly inconspicuous. :)
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

It's not going tabloid!

It's going "Ich bin ein Berliner" sized. Or was that just "Berliner"?

A bit smaller than a broadsheet and a bit bigger than a tabloid.

It may even be large enough still to hide behind !

Comment

Hey! Anything smaller than four square yards is tabloid in my book! :P

I wondered about the 'Berliner' thing. Is there a secret reference to an obscure format known only to smug leftie publishers? Does a whole range of irregular paper sizes named after citydwellers or contraceptives exist out there?

Or is it just so that self-regarding yummy-mummies doing lunch down Abbeville Road's Nappy Valley can go:

'Oh, yah. I just need to grab a 'Berliner'. There's a cool article on parenting for PA's that Magenta's nanny asked me to get for her...'

Tschk.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                'Oh, yah. I just need to grab a 'Berliner'. There's a cool article on parenting for PA's that Magenta's nanny asked me to get for her...'
                That sort of thing always reminds me of one of my favourite jokes:

What do they call it when two cars collide in Hampstead?

A creche. :lol:

The Guardian's preference for the Berliner' format does strike me as having a touch of snobbery about it though. I can imagine Alan Rusbridger holding the word at arms length whenever he has to use it: 'Tabloid? Ugh!' :)

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                  What do they call it when two cars collide in Hampstead?

A creche. :lol:

The Guardian's preference for the Berliner' format does strike me as having a touch of snobbery about it though. I can imagine Alan Rusbridger holding the word at arms length whenever he has to use it: 'Tabloid? Ugh!' :)
                  More than two cars: a tairble creche!
                  Vair good gag!

Yes, trust the Grauniad to avoid the T word like the plague.

I still read it though. It's less shit than the rest.

PS: maybe their advertising agency would like that as a slogan. I offer it freely.

Comment

:lol:

Mr Lawley, they are truly les mots justes...

Comment

Weren't big papers invented to avoid tax on pages? Anyway, tabloid is better for fish and chips (not for sleeping in, admittedly...)
                      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                        It's going "Ich bin ein Berliner" sized.
                        As in 'I am a donut'?

Sorry, an Eddie Izzard line.
                        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Now, if the tabloid Guardian came with a New Worlds wrapped around it, I wouldn't mind at all... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            Anyone remember the New Worlds with the tabloid Guardian in it ? I like to think we were once again ahead of the Times... :)
                            Funnily enough I mentioned this to Mr Perdix just the other day, but he thought I was talking about the Balfour Declaration. :lol:

I've uploaded a scan in the [link expired]Image Gallery.

Since you had the idea for a tabloid broadsheet newspaper about quarter of a century before the Independent, Times and Guardian unveiled their versions, perhaps you should be asking about royalties or something, Mike? :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                            X