Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Orleans Disaster [Merged x3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Disaster [Merged x3]

Very bad. Any friends there, Mike? Any other Miscellenites affected?

Hear it's bad. Praying for those in the hurricane's way.

Comment

Happily for me I no longer have friends in NO, though I love the city and share your concern. My mother in law is in Mississippi, but high enough up to miss the worst of it, we hope.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Biloxi hit by Katrina

I only just saw that one of the worst-hit towns is Biloxi.
        Anyone here in Katrina's path ? Hope not.

Comment

One of my co-workers has multiple family members who have lost homes in NO. Cousins and aunts and uncles.
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Linda's mother is safe in West Point, Miss. No other friends, happily, living there now, though my son Max has a friend in Biloxi. We're just hoping they got out in time, though we haven't had any news.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Relatives and friends in N-O and Pascagoula rode it alright, what luck! Birmingham is still full with coastal storm refugees.

edit-please read evacuees instead of refugees, no negative connotations intended.
              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

This has clearly been a seriously dreadful disaster.

Apart from the high numbers killed, injured and sick, hundreds of thousands of people from New Orleans and other towns are effectively displaced persons for the foreseeable future, and many of those won’t be able to go back to homes which have been destroyed. Maybe even won’t have a chance to rebuild, as some areas might remain under water.

I can’t begin to imagine the feelings of these people, but my heart goes out to them.

Pumping out water from a whole city and repairing the levees seems like a massive, almost impossible, task.

The question is already being asked: is global warming to blame? Will this help to wake up the Bush team to the issues?

Comment

Latest speculation (?) is that there are thousands dead and that NO might actually be abandoned - the implication is permanently, but I think this is a clever bit of sensationalist 'interpretation'. Bizarrely Ballardian.

As for Dubya and his appreciation of global warming, whether or not it's to blame, maybe someone should suggest to him that the NO disaster is a demonstration of what he can expect. Time to start mothballing those SUVs...

Wishing fortitude to those affected as mentioned by Berry and Talisant. Any word from Max's friend?

Comment

It seems ludicrious that there are people who want to bring up a political discussion out of this disaster. Yeah, blame Bush for Katrina. Come on. Where is the compassion from the Left that we saw after the tsunami? Get off your bashing Bush and SUVs and be more concerned about the victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                      Yeah, blame Bush for Katrina.
                      :roll: Oh, good grief! No one blames Bush for Katrina; that's ridiculous.

HOWEVER, the damage would have been greatly lessened had Bush not cut the levee funding in favor of the utter mess of a war he championed, right? Further, the National Guard wasn't around to help as it should have been. Why? They're in Iraq, of course!

Come on. Where is the compassion from the Left that we saw after the tsunami?
                      One can have compassion for the victims and at the same time harbor ire for the administration that waited until after tragedy struck to cough up any funding. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I feel bad for the people of New Orleans suffering such a disater, even moreso since it could have been so much less if Bush et. al. cared as much about fixing America as they do about fixing Iraq.

I'd be happy to further debate this in [broken link]the appropriate forum.
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM.
                      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

It seems ludicrious that there are people who want to bring up a political discussion out of this disaster. Yeah, blame Bush for Katrina. Come on. Where is the compassion from the Left that we saw after the tsunami? Get off your bashing Bush and SUVs and be more concerned about the victims.
                        This harping, scolding, criticizing or whatever you consider it to be is unwelcome as well.
                        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I think people will draw the obvious conclusions - but on a practical note for those who would like to help - is there a fund or anything?
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

On the news tonight in the UK we're hearing reports about how the fabric of society is breaking down in NO after the cataclymic events of the past week. 24-hour curfews in Biloxi and Gulfport, military helicopters being fired upon at the Superdome refugee centre, looting and lawlessness widespread.

Who was it who said that society is only one decent meal away from utter chaos?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4205074.stm
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                              I think people will draw the obvious conclusions - but on a practical note for those who would like to help - is there a fund or anything?
                              I've just found the answer to my own question: http://www.truthlaidbear.com/katrinacharities.php
                              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                              X