Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MVC has gone insane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC has gone insane!

(MVC being a UK-based CD/DVD store)

Well, actually they're probably just cutting branches, but either way this means BIG discounts... I'm starting to sound like a crappy commercial, but if you're anywhere near as materialistic as me, then you really should be checking out your local branch. I picked up the new PJ Harvey and Queen Adreena albums for a fiver each. And King of Comedy too! The whole shopping experience had a particularly satisfying "hunter/gatherer" vibe to it, as everything was out of alphabetical order and I was wrestling with holiday-makers for the spoils!

(Sorry, we don't get much excitement in my home town)
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

When Andy's Records in Worcester closed down they were almost giving the stock away. People were coming out of the shop with carrier bags filled to bursting point!

Comment

That's the spirit! :D

The staff got very excited when a chap bought 75 items (totalling well over آ£350), which his kids had been carrying around in baskets. He paid cash. I didn't have the heart to point out that he ran a discount DVD shop around the corner, and was one of their main business rivals in town. They seemed so happy... poor dears...

Comment

I have an MVC card - 'tis cool.

They're not shutting the one in Chiswick are they? :(

Comment

I don't know that any of them are closing for a fact, of course, that was just the gossip that was going around. It's possible the sales are just summer madness.... they were still hanging on to a lot of stock.

Comment

Oh phew... might have to go down for a DVD binge buy very soon then!

Comment

The one in Leeds closed several years ago. Was a sad day until Music Zone opened, but we are still waiting for a Fopp.

Not fair, they've been promising one on the website for 2 years now, and shops have come and gone while they find 'the right location'.

(If you don't know them, Fopp do discount CDs and books but fairly 'cool' stuff (like piles of Burroughs books or Kundera rather than what most discount book stores do). Always used to be a highlight of going to Edinburgh.

Comment

I'm a great fan of Fopp - although our nearest is in Shaftesbury Ave. I bought most of the classic Amon Duul II albums on CD there for a fiver each. ("Gosh", I hear everyone say... )
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

gosh

Comment

Gosh! (who?)

I've only seen one Fopp, when I was visiting a friend in Nottingham, but I do rememember being pee-d off that I'd spent all my money on a coach ticket, and couldn't afford any books.

I don't think the loss of MVC would be much of a problem for me, since they always slap a آ£20+ price label on anything they consider "world cinema" (which often includes indie UK and US releases). Our local branch is still asking آ£23.99 for the 2-disc Amelie!!

I suppose the one good thing about living in a town without any independent record/book shops, is that I can order online without too much guilt. If I lived near a Select-A-Disc again, or (holy of holies) an Amoeba, then my credit card wouldn't see anywhere near as much action. :)

Comment

As I understand it, MVC have been taken over and are getting rid of old stock. I went in my local branch today and came out with a pile of DVDs.
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Well, according to my source (can there be any sadder sight than a goth forced to wear pastel yellow?) they've been taken over, but are no longer a chain as such, more of a franchise. As far as she knows they're keeping their jobs, and my local branch is staying open, just dumping old stock as Aral says.

I thought I could curb my spending but I keep finding new stuff... Katastrophe Wife for آ£3-99! Too tempting. Must... not... go... back...

Comment

Working...
                        X