Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Viva La France: Book Vending Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viva La France: Book Vending Machine

\m/z\m/

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../book_machines

When it comes time to die
    Sing your death song
    and die like a warrior.

http://www.aliensurgeon.com

Like, yeah!

Unsurprising that those cultured Frenchies should have one....

Comment

Of course, the English version would just spew forth The Da Vinci Code, Jackie Collins, Jeffery Archer, 'chick lit' and other 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' books.

Either that or the interminable Man Booker Prize shortlist.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Comment

mordenkainen,
          here's a link for you:

B.A.S.E.

http://www.aliensurgeon.com/shawndigeorge.htm

Comment

crazy stuff, thanks! I don't base jump myself. Not enough free fall experience yet.

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
              Of course, the English version would just spew forth The Da Vinci Code, Jackie Collins, Jeffery Archer, 'chick lit' and other 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' books.
              This sort of thing would just be vandalized in most parts of the US, I think. Sadly, a good portion of my countrymen are unread simpletons who would think a vending machine selling books was some sort of sick joke.

Fact.

*sigh* France just looks better and better all the time.
              "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
              --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

What do you do when the book jams up in the machine?

Ya know, a fifty cent bag o' chips jams up, who cares.

But a book that costs several dollars (or whichever Coins of the Realm), well, I'm ripping the front of the machine off to get it!
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Nah, French stuff tends to work, in my experience anyway - it's as if the idea of something existing for a purpose it can't fulfill is absurd to the point of perversity. Beatrice Ballard, daughter of JG, once summed up her father's success by saying he now owned a Surrealist painting but his grill still didn't work. That struck me as terribly English!

Comment

Either that or the interminable Man Booker Prize shortlist.
                    On the +ve side, it could close every Waterstones in the country!!!
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                      This sort of thing would just be vandalized in most parts of the US, I think. Sadly, a good portion of my countrymen are unread simpletons who would think a vending machine selling books was some sort of sick joke.

Fact.

*sigh* France just looks better and better all the time.
                      Don't be too hard on your countrymen, it similar here. I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who seem proud never to have read a book.
                      Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhand
                        Don't be too hard on your countrymen, it similar here. I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who seem proud never to have read a book.
                        I still can't believe that someone like Posh Spice says she's never read a book in her life, not even (apparently) a children's book to any of her sons. I mean, what's going on there? Oh I suppose that's what they employ nannies for, isn't it?
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I still can't believe that someone like Posh Spice says she's never read a book in her life
                          I can believe it. Not even Jordan's autobiography. And these are our betters... :x
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

And Liam from Oasis. You'd think with all their millions they wouldn't be so insecure, but on some deep level they've still got something to prove to them book-readers. I mean if only we'd not bullied them at school. 'Oi, you, no-glasses. Where's your book specless?'

The educated literate version of this, of course, is to say that you don't understand science, with the implication that this makes you slightly better and more human than those that do.

Who was the American commedian who said something about sitting alone in a diner and the waitress asking 'Why are you reading? Not, what are you reading, Why are you reading? So I don't end up being a waitress in a place like this'. Except with more swearing. Hopefully that wasn't true as I don't think it's nice behaviour to rub people's nose in it, but it does have an artistic truth to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                              ...And these are our betters... :x
                              Or perhaps they think they are.

If they "think" at all.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                              X