Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The tenth planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tenth planet

It appears that our solar system has not nine, but ten planets!
    UB313 was found in january.
    So, how does this affect astrological charts???

Maybe it has a positive effect on my allergy?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Well, there are plenty who argue still that Pluto isn't a planet, but this one may be larger. So perhaps it will qualify as the ninth...
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

'' . . .Uncle Sam's on UB 313 . . .''

Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it.

Maybe this is where C'thulu comes from?
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Last week I read an article in New Scientist that there could be as many as 23 planets, if not more in the solar system. I think UB313 was found in 2003 but it took two years to confirm it existed. I can't see it making it into any astrological charts anytime soon. Imagine it..."UB313 is on the horizon between Mercury and Venus signalling that good fortune is heading your way".

Comment

They should call it "Urpeenus". That's the only sensible name for a new planet... of "Urfajina", perhaps?

I need some sleep. :(
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Re: The tenth planet

Originally posted by mordenkainen
              So, how does this affect astrological charts???
              No doubt the astrologers will already have observed its cosmic influence before the benighted astronomers got round to 'discovering' it? :?
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

A reasonable name for the new planet might be "Persephone," or if it is desired to continue the uneuphonious Roman naming scheme, "Proserpine."

LSN

Comment

Unofficially it seems to be being called 'Xena'. 8O

Is it too late to start the campaign for naming it after a decent fantasy genre female, say, Zarozinia? :P
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                    Unofficially it seems to be being called 'Xena'. 8O

Is it too late to start the campaign for naming it after a decent fantasy genre female, say, Zarozinia? :P
                    Or howzabout Cymoril?

Comment

Let's just call it Bob. :D

Comment

You wanna be King? Wanna be the King of Bob?

Look, why don't we just call it Mondas, after Doctor Who...Or why not Rodney...after Dave?

So how long do you think it'll be until the Cybermen turn up and start kicking a fuss?

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                          You wanna be King? Wanna be the King of Bob?
                          Dunno, what's the pay?

Sovereign of My Own Ball of Rock?

Ssswweeeetttttt! 8)

Comment

Look, why don't we just call it Mondas, after Doctor Who...Or why not Rodney...after Dave?

So how long do you think it'll be until the Cybermen turn up and start kicking a fuss?
                            Crikey...that's a thought. It's about the right time, historically speaking isn't it? Do we still have radio contact with the Arctic Base?

Aaaargh!!!! They're coming! They're coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah

Crikey...that's a thought. It's about the right time, historically speaking isn't it? Do we still have radio contact with the Arctic Base?

Aaaargh!!!! They're coming! They're coming!
                              <puts on pedantic hat>Actually, by my reckoning, Mondas is 19 years overdue, bearing in mind that the events of The Tenth Planet supposedly occur in 1986 iirc.<takes pedantic hat off>
                              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                              X