Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Punctuation in the Material World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctuation in the Material World

I just love commas, even when you dont need them.
    Commas are great.

Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn
    Commas are great.
    I just love apostrophes, especially when you do need them... like, say, in the word "don't".
    Apostrophes are great.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
      Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn
      Commas are great.
      I just love apostrophes, especially when you do need them... like, say, in the word "don't".
      Apostrophes are great.
      I just love ellipses, especially when you don't need them. Ellipses are great.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
        Ellipses are great.
        They are... aren't they?

Comment

:lol:
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ah, I was wondering what happened to these posts in the "Men at Work/Tanelorn" thread.

For those who are confused, Tales' comma comment was in regard to Carter's opening post in [broken link]this thread.

Without that small bit of info, this thread makes little sense since Tales from Tanelorn was nitpicking the punctuation of Carter Kaplan and I was, in due turn, pointing out that Tales' punctuation could stand some work.

I wasn't participating in a discussion about punctuation, nor do I wish to. I simply wanted to point out that it might be good to remove the plank from one's own eye before trying to remove the speck of dust from someone else's.

Sorry, folks. I can't help but slam people who needlessly slam others. Now that I've said my piece, I shall retreat again back into the woodwork. See ya.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
              ... I just love apostrophes, especially when you do need them... like, say, in the word "don't".
              Apostrophes are great.
              Missing apostrophes annoy me far less than extraneous apostrophes.

"do not" --> "don't" --> "dont" is kind of natural.

Similarly with possessives, although the first stage is so far back no-one remembers it.

"hundes" (OE) --> "hound's" --> "hounds" (There was a spelling change there too!)

But... "Fresh banana's", "Buy you're potatoe's here!"

Cheers,
              Ant

Comment

This board definitely lacks one of those great threads where everybody is a troll, calls everyone else a troll and explains why they are not a troll themselves.

not.

Comment

I saw this thread before the one which spawned it, and just thought it was a spontaneous expression of our mutual love of punctuation! Long overdue, in my opinion.

Only the other day I was thinking how much I love Spanish punctuation. I don't know the proper name for them, but the upside down question marks and exclamation marks at the start of a sentence seem very sensible to me, so the reader knows that they're reading an exclamation or a question as soon as they begin. I was very happy to note how easy it is to drop them in to text on the Mac, and will most likely use them with English words too.

آ؟Is this pretentious?

(Num Lock, Alt + 168 on a PC) (apparently)
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

It's - disappointingly - called "beginning of interrogation mark". Grammarians suck.

Thأ© أ«nglأ­sh lأ ngأ»agأ© definitأ«ly is poorly pأ؛nأ§tأ¹ated
                    آ؟isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                      ... Thأ© أ«nglأ­sh lأ ngأ»agأ© definitأ«ly is poorly pأ؛nأ§tأ¹ated
                      آ؟isn't it?
                      Now you're confusing punctuation with diacritical marks...

But since we're there: Mike seems to like them: Melnibonأ© (not Melnibonأ¨!) and Erekosأ«.

(You're right, Dee, this kind of thing is much easier on a Mac; I'm struggling on my ThinkPad, here, having to go into Word to do Insert, Symbol then paste into here. Or just type in & # 2 3 3 ; [with no spaces] as the HTML entity code for the "أ©" - that's one I know by heart!)

Ciao,
                      Ant

Comment

:lol:

I can't decide if the surrealistic effect was intended...

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                          This board definitely lacks one of those great threads where everybody is a troll, calls everyone else a troll and explains why they are not a troll themselves.

not.

I am not now, nor have I ever been a Troll!

You'll never catch me lurking under a bridge.
                          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I'm a goblin at most.

Comment

I'm a Moomintroll. :D
                              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                              X