Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MIKE PLEASE DON'T READ THIS: Get well in Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIKE PLEASE DON'T READ THIS: Get well in Paris

Dear Mike, please read no further.

Dear readers. Since Mike and Linda are not into receiving cards or flowers, and I'm feeling that a token from readers would be a reminder that we are thinking of them, and since knowing is half the battle, I suggest we come up with something tangible we can send to them.

I propose we find a stylish or practical cane, if that's appropriate, and send it to them.

Any thoughts?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

duggm says his dad makes canes and he may be able to get one for us.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I think this is a wonderful idea. I may be able to supply a nice, natural wood cane. I will check my 'sources'. Although some sort of 'Runestaff cane' might be more... apprapos?

G.S.
      Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

You know, filmmaker Gary Kurtz is selling Yoda's actual cane from his Star Wars memorobilia collection... KIDDING! I'm kidding!

I think this is a great idea, Berry.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          You know, filmmaker Gary Kurtz is selling Yoda's actual cane from his Star Wars memorobilia collection...
          Hmmmm... Just how tall is Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by duggm
            Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
            You know, filmmaker Gary Kurtz is selling Yoda's actual cane from his Star Wars memorobilia collection...
            Hmmmm... Just how tall is Mike?
            Having stood beside him once at the bar of the ICA in London (and staying with the Star Wars theme), I can say, that he's about the same height as Chewbacca, or Darth Vader.

No, really! :)

Comment

Great idea for the cane - certainly distinctive, though perhaps not as distinctive as say, a full-size wooden staff.

I have a cane with a sword in it that I used to use when my leg was injured. I'm sure that it's illegal though. Anyway, it's the kind that a gentleman would use a long time ago. It's black with a slightly rounded knob at the top with a brass ring just under the knob and a brass guard on the tip. It's very Zenith.
              I know exactly the thing you mean. I think someone who lived in our apartment before us was into battle re-enactments or something, cause we keep getting catalogues for swords and knives etc. Half tempted to get something for myself to satisfy my boyhood fantasy of having my own real sword. Sadly the sword cane is illegal in California as its against the law to have a concealed weapon. I'll be buying the two handed barbarian broadsword then...
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                ... Sadly the sword cane is illegal in California as its against the law to have a concealed weapon. ...
                But, in Texas?

Details aside, a great idea!

Ciao,
                Ant

Comment

I wondered if the 'sword-stick' or 'sword-cane' might come up: very collectable items, and useful for barbeques and litter patrols :D . I had one once, but I can't remember what happened to it, worryingly. Ooh, or we could make one with a concealed air-weapon, a la Col Sebastian Moran. Or a needle gun. Maybe not.

I think he is, like, really, really tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                    I think he is, like, really, really tall.
                    So, no Yoda cane?

Comment

6' 1/2"

Comment

Thanks B. Little shorter than me. Same size as my kid as a matter of fact. I'll see what dad's got that fits him for starters, if you'd like.

Comment

Berry, what a wonderful idea! :D I would be more than happy to contribute to something to this. (Will wait patiently until you post further details.)
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

duggm, please do

Comment

Ace idea, Berry! :D
                              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                              X