Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Londoners - check in please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Londoners - check in please

I'm sure I'm not alone in being concerned about the London-based members of multiverse after this mornings explosions.

So when you reach a computer, post on this thread and let us know you're alright OK?

our thoughts are with you all down there right now.
    \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

I've been watching it all morning and it's given me the shivers. So, yeah, anyone on here based in London let us know you're OK. It's sounds pretty bad...
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I'm worrying with you.
      Also with reason, my niece and a cousin live and work in London. No word of them yet.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

London is a big place. I sincerely hope they are not touched by this. There are a lot of communication problems, emergency services are being given priority on the mobile phone system. But the wait for news in events like these is awful.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Hi Guys I'm here, it's terrible. My aunt hasn't been in contact at all this morning and my stomach is churning with worry... Christ, what evil, wicked bastards who have done this to London.

Comment

I'm sure she'll be OK, MD: all the phone lines are jammed!

I'm OK, too, obviously. Thanks for your concerns chaps: I was, however, running directly past two of the bomb locations three days ago :?

Thoughts with all affected by this abomination.

Comment

Oh, then that's not only my cousin's place - phone's not working.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Yes, I'm hoping it's that, or knowing my aunt, a proud Sarf Londoner through and through, she'll be walking all the way back home to Battersea from central London! :)

It makes me furious and sick. I was too young to remember the IRA London bombings, and this is truly gut-wrenching stuff.

I think we've got through about 400 cups of tea at work so far, British stiff upper lip and all that!

Comment

I was in Harrods the day before it got blown up, and I'd just finished drinking a coffee on the pavement opposite the pub in Soho in 1999, walked off and got to the end of the street when that blew up, too. Tiny windows of chance and whims of choice. How to compute? The saddest thing is how and why someone could be angry enough to do this? And how far back does the resentment go? :(

Comment

I've posted a map of the affected areas in both the Q&A and Reasoned Debate threads on the London bombings. London is a large city and while the spacing of the bombs is over quite a wide area, the actual impacts are quite small. Anyone in South London is unlikely to be directly affected* as all the blast areas are north of the River Thames (or since this is a Moorcock board, Tayme).

*They will be indirectly affected by the closure of the transport infrastructure of course.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Glad to hear from you London types. Obviously my thoughts are with those of you in the area, or with friends/relatives around there. Such pointless destruction. :(

My Mum and sister are already speculating about who they suspect planted the bombs ( :roll: ), but I think I'll wait until more facts have come in before drawing any conclusions...
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

My niece Jennifer and my cousin are unscathed. Took some time in the confusion to get in touch.
                        My thoughts are with the families and friends of those who weren't so lucky.
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

Suspect packages were also found at Stockwell Tube and East Croydon overland.

Dunno if they turned out to be anything though.

Overland stations are open again (aside from King's Cross), and parts of the DLR.

All the tubes are still shut.

Hugs all.

Jeremiah

Comment

This whole mess is pretty scary... I'm on holiday down near London and I was actually using the underground in London less than two days before the blasts. I only heard about it a few hours after it began but yeah, real frightening.

Comment

I don't live in Lomdon but my wife was down there on business. If she'd got an earlier train she could have been on one of the underground trains that were bombed. As it was she got a call through to me before the mobile networks were switched off to let me know she was O.K. Even though I knew she was alright I couldn't rest until she was home. Some couples however won't have been so lucky. The thread between life & death, happiness & disaster is so thin.
                              Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Working...
                              X