Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Olympic Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Olympic Decision

It has just been announced that London will host the 2012 Olympics. My interest in this is purely "local" in nature, rather than national. The sailing events for the competition are going to be staged on the Dorset coast, meaning a massive upheaval in the area. I don't know anything about the economic issues, and I really don't care about what it will do for employment in the area... I just feel sorry for all of those Olympiads who will have to point their boats' pointy-bits in the direction of this county. My sister is happy that "we" will get "our" relief road, although I don't have the faintest clue how that will improve the quality of my life.

Um... so really this post is just a pointless rant from an apathetic, non-sporty, non-patriotic person. It just unnerves me to think of global attention focussing on this little corner of the, er, globe.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

It'll be good for building a huuuuuge velodrome in Stratford, which will then be used by six cyclists every year (see Montreal...).
    I must say I am quite excited by it. I don't really buy the 'beneficial' rubbish (any more than Live 8 was materially beneficial, beyond everyone having a good time and at least thinking about African poverty) but it will be a lot of fun, provided we can roll back the criteria somewhat to maintain strict amateurism of the participants (some hopes).

Comment

Time to start building that ShakespeareLandâ„¢ Themepark, next to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East!

We'll clean up! :lol:

Comment

Much as I'm pleased that it's happening a Londres, I do feel that the French could have benefited more than we from hosting the Olympics. The slightly dispirited national mood, so different from the usual gallic joie de vivre and elan, has only been worsened by this. Genuine regrets, mes amis. Here's hoping the proximity of the 2012 games to France will mean we can share the enjoyment in the spirit of the entente, and of the games :roll:

Comment

You guys can have it.

Enjoy the traffic when it occurs; and enjoy the construction / destruction as they proceed to "improve" the "infrastructure" to accommodate the games.

I lived in L.A. during the '84 Olympics. An interesting experience.

LSN

Comment

I worry about the environmental impact. Still, its nice to see the economy getting an old-fashioned Keynesian boost. Funny how Blair the neoliberal is in favour of that. :?
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Just heard on a news flash in the middle of BBC Radio 4's Women's Hour programme:

Series of explosions in Central London. On a bus and in the Underground.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659093.stm

:(

Comment

Well, talk about one extreme to the other

Comment

Brits could finance Olympics with sofa-cushion change

Britons could finance Olympics with sofa-cushion change

From The Guardian:

Press Association
                  Wednesday August 17, 2005

Britons have enough small change around their homes to fund half of the London Olympic Games, according to a survey published today.

About آ£1bn is lost or lying idle in the UK's 24.7 million households, the study found.

An overwhelming 88% of the 1,500 people surveyed said at least آ£10 was lost in small change throughout their home.

A further 62% estimated they had at least آ£56 in jars, pots, pockets and down the back of sofas...

Londoners were the country's biggest losers, with آ£121 worth of redundant cash at home, whereas people in Birmingham had آ£61.
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Olympics shooting events illegal unders Britain's anti-gun laws

Here's something that may amuse our Amercian cousins (esp. the 'cold dead hands' brigade) :) :

* Less than two months after he was victorious in securing the Olympic Games for the capital, Lord Coe has met his first major setback. It turns out that three of the pistol-shooting events are outlawed under legislation passed in 1997, bizarrely making it illegal for the British team to train on home soil.

According to an article due to appear in the next issue of The Field magazine, the law even calls into question whether the events - the 50-metre men's, the rapid fire, and the women's 25-metre - will be permitted during the Olympics themselves.

A shooting lobby group, the Sportsman's Association, has written to the International Olympic Committee, calling on them to campaign for a change in the law, which dates from the Dunblane high school murders.

"Please use what influence you can to persuade the British Government to amend the two Firearms Acts of 1997," reads their letter. "So that the British people may, in line with the Olympic ideal, prepare themselves properly for the Olympic Games."

According to a spokesman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, there is unlikely to be any such change.

However, he points out that the Firearms Act will allow the home secretary of the day to make a special allowance for the duration of the Games. "It's true that they can't train or practise in this country," he admits.

"But the Home Secretary has indicated that the events will take place for the Olympics themselves."
                    Source: Pandora, Independent, 17 August 2005
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                    X