Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

scientists resurrect dead dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scientists resurrect dead dogs

has anyone heard of this story?

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.
    Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.
    Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.
    wanna see the 56th century? trade your blood for salt water NOW :lol:

How long was Lindsey Brigman (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) dead in The Abyss?

There are certainly cases of children surviving "dead" for "long" periods after plunging into icy water.

But chilling people from the inside deliberately... ?

The very thought makes my blood run cold.

Ciao,
    Ant

Comment

There was a 1930s movie Life Returns that supposedly features real footage of a dead dog being brought back to life within a fictional framework.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Yeah, but who wants zombie dogs running around?

Night of the Living Basset Hound
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Comment

Think of the possibilies! Not only in real life but in general fiction the death always was a limit...
            The scientists which have managed to bring back dogs think to do the same with humans... Just let us suppose they manage... If this became possible, even in a distant future, our world will change a lot...
            Rita.

Comment

Pah! I do that all the time! Nothing to it! :roll:

I know I'm supposed to be a scientist and all, but I still get really feckin' annoyed when some bugger does this deliberately to a poor doggy. It's like the monkey head transplant. Yes, fantastic, well done...now please go and shoot yourself you repulsive fiend!

We'll only end up resurrecting some awful human beings who probably ought to be dead anyway ( :? ).

Sorry, I know it ain't rational. I just feel with this sort of thing, we lose the very qualities that are supposed to make us human. So often I fear 'tis the ego of the researcher rather than the 'benefit to humanity' that is the real issue here...

Comment

Having watched the true-to-life, drama-documentary that is Resident Evil, I must say that zombie dogs will most likely come back evil and try to bite poor Milla Jovovich's ankles! This must not be allowed to happen. Biting Miss Jovovich is my job, and I refuse to be made redundant by some stinky re-animated hound.

On a more serious note, philosophically speaking, it is often suggested that without the threat of death there can be no joy in life... or at least, there's less urgency to the experience. A healthy awareness of mortality should theoretically spice up your everyday existence. Whether dogs have this awareness or not, I don't know (are there any goth dogs?), but for humans, immortality is probably a poor fit... at least on a grand scale... it would be an expensive and exclusive "therapy" and therefore only available to the rich and powerful. So Bush would be kicking around at the End of Time, but the rest of us would be fertiliser. Not so good. :(
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                  Biting Miss Jovovich is my job, and I refuse to be made redundant by some stinky re-animated hound.
                  Let's hope Audrey doesn't read English, Monsieur D.
                  Or Ludivine.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                    Let's hope Audrey doesn't read English, Monsieur D. Or Ludivine.
                    It would serve them right for failing to reply to my (expertly translated) fan-mail. If they don't want a delusional cartoonist stalking them, then I'm sure there are plenty of actresses who do. :( Then again, perhaps we could use salt water to preserve them until they finally relent and agree to give me an autograph? Ah, the appliance of science...
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Having watched the true-to-life, drama-documentary that is Resident Evil, I must say that zombie dogs will most likely come back evil and try to bite poor Milla Jovovich's ankles!
                      I had to summon all of the little common sense that's left in me to refrain from doing that myself. and I'm neither undead nor canine.

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                        Having watched the true-to-life, drama-documentary that is Resident Evil, I must say that zombie dogs will most likely come back evil and try to bite poor Milla Jovovich's ankles!
                        I had to summon all of the little common sense that's left in me to refrain from doing that myself. and I'm neither undead nor canine.
                        You'd ve made it into "Variety" headlines, though.
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                          I know I'm supposed to be a scientist and all, but I still get really feckin' annoyed when some bugger does this deliberately to a poor doggy... So often I fear 'tis the ego of the researcher rather than the 'benefit to humanity' that is the real issue here...
                          Yeah, what Perdix said! I completely concur. (Get it? con-cur? I know, I know, sorry...)

It is fascinating news and all, but didn't we learn anything from Herbert West, the Reanimator? :P
                          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

You carry on fantasizing about biting Milla's ankles, Dee. Me? I have higher goals.

Cordialement,
                            Ant

Comment

Bite gently then.
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X