Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tanelorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A servce station off the M62 near Huddersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
      A servce station off the M62 near Huddersfield.
      I can confirm that.

But last time I visited it was not looking too stable.

Comment

Tanelorn is about a four-hour drive from Seattle...

'fraid I've never been off the US mainland, but in my experience, I've found Cannon Beach, Oregon to be a right beautiful and serene place.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

It's got a climate similar to that here in Seattle, though with a higher ratio of sunny to rainy days. The people in Cannon Beach are commonly very laid back, which is nice, though the police are supremely uptight, which I chalk up to Cannon Beach being very tourist-laden. Nothing brings in city funding like uncontested citations issued to hapless vacationers.

The huge rock is called Haystack Rock and is one of the largest free-standing monoliths in the world (which spot it holds -- second place or third -- is up for debate and I can't find a definitive answer). When the tide is out, you can walk right up to it. It's illegal to climb Haystack Rock, but that hasn't kept numerous idiots from becoming stranded atop it when the tide comes back in.

Comment

New Zealand looks nice. Last outpost of the old Empire. God Save the Queen!

Jeff

Comment

Do they still have freedom of speech and movement there, unlike in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                Did you ever have one of those ideas for a great thread?
                No, never. Such things are very rare.
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Did you ever have one of those ideas for a great thread?
                  Many times. It's funny how a topic you think will spur some interesting discussion just falls flat. Hard to explain the phenomenon. Some of the dumbest topics metamorphose into intense conversations while other seemingly interesting ideas never find purchase.

Another place where Tanelorn appears once in a while in the Pacific Northwest is on Washington's Olympic Penninsula, specifically, the Hoh Rainforest. It is one of the few remaining temperate rainforests in the world. I used to go camping in the Hoh at least once a year. Wild Elk are kinda scary up close, by the way.

Comment

My dad got up walked over to a thin but tall dead pine tree, RIPPED IT OUT OF THE GROUND, and threw it at the deer... I was too shocked to say anything and have a photographic memory of my dad doing that. It was amazing.
                    Awesome. Everyone should have at least one memory of their dad doing something that to them seemed superhuman.

As an adult, I once ran into a giant moose... That scared the crap out of me... I began slowly walking backwards until I could scamper away.
                    I was walking a trail with some buddies when we all heard a loud snort. An elk was grazing right f*cking there about ten to twelve feet away from us. We backed towards a huge rock, climbed it, and waited for him to mosey off. It was an amazing sight, but a damn frightful one, too.

It had a nice rack. :P

Comment

Cannon Beach is nice, without a doubt; but I don't think it qualifies as my personal Tanelorn.

There are many cities I've never been to and would love to go (London or Kyoto, for example) but of the places I've been I'd have to say the city that most reminds me of Tanelorn in feel is Saint Malo, France.

Now, if we open this up to whatever place, regardless of whether it's a city or not, where we feel most at peace with ourselves and the world...hmm...I'd have to say I've felt more at peace while Deer Hunting than anything else. Not really tied to a particular location, and I'm certain it has to do with the simple fact that when deer hunting there is nothing to do...just sit there and relax, listening to the woods around me. But I absolutely love it.
                      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Tanelorn at the moment... must be Edinburgh for me probably. It is a really lovely city and I also happen to live here. This city is where I most feel at home. It has some nice hills (Arthur Seat being my favourite for walking at the moment) and there are a nice amount of trees scattered around the streets. There are only a couple downsides - the weather is often very cold and a lot of the shops are overpriced for tourists.
                        Its lovely when the sun is out though.

Comment

For me has my home town been my Tanelorn. I wasn't born there, but I lived there first for 14 years (5-19 yo) and then for 5 (28-33 yo) more. Sitting atop of Bondberget (The Farmer's Mountain) and looking out of the Lake Vأ¤ttern is just fabolous. Especially when the sun goes down. As Mark Twain said:

"This is the place to be. I have seen about 60 sunsets here; & a good 40 of them were away & beyond anything I had ever imagined before for dainty & exquisite & marvelous beauty & infinite change & variety. America? Italy? the tropics? They have no notion of what a sunset ought to be. And this one—this unspeakable wonder! It discounts all the rest. It brings the tears, it is so unutterably beautiful"

http://www.smelinkweb.com/ImageLibra...tern%20004.jpg

Bondberget is situated to right, this pic is taken from Stadsberget (The City Mountain) at the opposite side of the town. Another good view.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidnero
                            ... Bondberget is situated to right, this pic is taken from Stadsberget (The City Mountain) at the opposite side of the town. Another good view.
                            The town being... Vadstena? Jأ¶nkأ¶ping? Hjo? Askersund? أ…mmeberg? Karlsborg?

Cheers,
                            Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                              Originally posted by Kidnero
                              ... Bondberget is situated to right, this pic is taken from Stadsberget (The City Mountain) at the opposite side of the town. Another good view.
                              The town being... Vadstena? Jأ¶nkأ¶ping? Hjo? Askersund? أ…mmeberg? Karlsborg?

Cheers,
                              Ant
                              Det أ¤r klأ¤rt att staden أ¤r inte Bayonne, New Jersey.

LSN

Comment

Sorry for my lateness in answering, been away for the weekend!

The town is Jأ¶nkأ¶ping. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X