Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fun with Babel Fish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Babel Fish.

Here's a bit of fun. I've just been playing around with BabelFish the online translator. I remembered an example of back-translation mentioned by Mark Twain concerning 'The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County' and how translating it into French from English and back again rendered it into strange almost-gibberish.
    Well I did it with the opening sentence of H.G.Wells' 'War of the Worlds' (because I could copy and paste it), which is pretty well known, to see what would come out and here it is, original first.

Originally posted by H.G. Wells
    NO one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
    Originally posted by BabelFish
    Nobody would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was observed deeply and narrowly by the man larger than of intelligences but as mortal as its clean; that while the men occupied about their various concern which they were controlled and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope could control the momentary creatures which swarm and multiplies in a water drop.
    The limit is 150 words. I remember reading Mike's description of Elric sitting on the Ruby Throne posted somewhere here. I wonder how tht would come out?
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Originally posted by MM
    It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two slanting eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the colour of bone, resting on each arm of a seat which has been carved from a single, massive ruby.
    Originally posted by babelfish
    It is the color of a bleached cranium, its flesh; and the long hair which runs below its shoulders is milk-white. To fray, beautiful the eyes of the glance fixes two principal, crimson tilted and depressed, and of the loose casings of its yellow dress emergent two thin hands, also the color of the bone, resting on each arm of a seat which was cut out of a simple and massive ruby.

Comment

I was about to post it and then I saw that mk had beat me to it. Nice, quick work that man!
      It doesn't start too bad but seems to lose it badly in the middle. Finally gathering itself together for the finish amid a few stumbles. Not bad.
      Anyone else care to try?
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

The first english-to-french translation was actually even worse than the final result.

Comment

huh, cross-posted :lol:

Comment

english to french, french to spanish, spanish to english:
            It is the color of a whitened skull, its meat; and the long hair that happens underneath its shoulders is milk-target. To wear away, pretty depresos the eyes of the glance fix two main, carmesأ­es inclined ones and, and from the loose covers of their yellow dress two fine hands arise, for that reason the color of the bone, being based on each arm of a seat that stood out of a simple and massive ruby.

Comment

You do Chinese, I'll do Japanese.

Comment

:lol: ok

Comment

Originally posted by Babelfish
                  We hold these truth are self-evident, that life but equality, then they subsidize by theirs creator by the right which certain cannot become estranged, in these is the life, the freedom and to the happy pursue. -- Whenever any government's form changes gains these rights, the government is set up in the person, obtains their just strength from the agreement government, -- destructive these terminals, it is the people's right revises or abolishes it.
                  Now I understand why China chose communism.

Comment

English to Japanese and back again.

Originally posted by BabelFish wrote
                    That is color of the skull and that meat which were bleached; The long hair where and it flows under that shoulder is milk-white. Making ahead thin, the eye where beautiful head stare 2 tilts, magenta and ill humor and gowns 2 that the hand whose yellow are thin, in addition single unit, it appears from the sleeve whose color of the bone which goes to bed with each arm of the seat which is carved from the large ruby is loose.
                    Fantastic!

Comment

English to Russian and back again.

Originally posted by BabelFish wrote
                      It will be the color of the bleached skull, its flesh; and dlinniye hair pass under its arms of soft roes -.bely. From to flatten, the most beautiful head eyes stare 2 inclining, crimson and moody, and from the loose bosses of its yellow gown emerge 2 slender hands; also the color of bone, resting on each handle of place which it was vysekano from the single, most massive ruby.
                      Getting worse.

Amazing how the Chinese worldview can recognise so much from a piece of decadent western prose.

Comment

Working...
                      X