Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

2005 Locus All-Time Fantasy Story Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Locus All-Time Fantasy Story Poll

What is the greatest fantasy short story of all time? Please vote for your favorite novellas, novelettes, and short stories, published in 1995 or before, in this special category. A selection of nearly 300 titles, drawn from awards winners, classic anthologies, and expert recommendations, is listed below as suggestions, but you may vote for any other titles of your choice by using the write-in boxes at the bottom of the page.
    https://secure.locusmag.com/2005/Iss...StoryPoll.html
    The list includes 'Elric at the End of Time' and 'Kings in Darkness', + room for 5 write-ins. It would be a good idea to vote for the two on offer, though, so as not to split the Moorcock vote! :D
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

In case anyone cares-

I voted for Elric at the End of Time and Kings in Darkness as 1 and 2.

3 Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock
    4 Friend's Best Man by Jonathan Carroll
    5 Stairs by Neal Barrett, Jr.

I know I'm voting against MM's stories (in a sense) by filling out the remainder of my top five, but I think all of the other three authors are under-appreciated.

Comment

I'm afraid I haven't read Kings in Darkness, but I did vote Elric numero uno. I also gave a shout out to my homies Poe, Gaiman and Dick. Strange list though.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I agree, Dee. Some of the picks seemed rather random. Ordinarily I would have voted for Gaiman out of principle. However, that certainly wasn't the story I would consider his best.

Comment

1. Moorcock, Michael, Elric at the End of Time
          2. Ellison, Harlan, Jeffty Is Five
          3. Ellison, Harlan, The Deathbird
          4. Bradbury, Ray, The Veldt
          5. Lovecraft, H.P., The Colour Out of Space

I couldn't really vote for Kings in Darkness as i haven't read it yet. Please don't hurt me.

Comment

Re: 2005 Locus All-Time Fantasy Story Poll

I absolutely hate ranking procedures like this. My feeling about MOST of the stories on the list is, "Can't we just have them all, and not try to pit one against the other?"

Look at the list of stories by Dunsany and Ellison, for example. I don't want to vote AGAINST any of them, so I can't vote FOR any of them.

This sux. The people at Locus should spend a few weeks in public pillory. Well, maybe they aren't really common criminals (just very nearly), but stuff like this tends to make me classify them as members of primitive man. How bloody neanderthal.

LSN

Originally posted by Mikey_C
            What is the greatest fantasy short story of all time? Please vote for your favorite novellas, novelettes, and short stories, published in 1995 or before, in this special category. A selection of nearly 300 titles, drawn from awards winners, classic anthologies, and expert recommendations, is listed below as suggestions, but you may vote for any other titles of your choice by using the write-in boxes at the bottom of the page.
            https://secure.locusmag.com/2005/Iss...StoryPoll.html
            The list includes 'Elric at the End of Time' and 'Kings in Darkness', + room for 5 write-ins. It would be a good idea to vote for the two on offer, though, so as not to split the Moorcock vote! :D

Comment

Working...
            X