Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rejoice Marc Bolan Fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejoice Marc Bolan Fans!

T-Rex Can Now Be Cloned!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science....ap/index.html
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

I read this yesterday and thought, "Yeah, riiiiight." It seems to be legit, though. Hard to believe soft tissue lasted that long. Trippy. Also hard to believe a paleontologist would deliberately break an intact T-Rex thigh bone (they're known for their painstaking preservation of fossils). Good thing they did, though, huh?

But to be clear, they're not actually sure they can do cloning yet.

"Schweitzer said she was not sure if scientists would be able to isolate dinosaur DNA fragments from the fossilized materials."

If they can, you can bet it will be a long time before they will allow the public to know about it.

Wouldn't it be cool to find out T-Rex was covered with feathers or something? That it looked completely different than we thought?
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Hmm...I was much involved with the Geology Dept of Bristol University, and I've done a bit of Palaeo' research and fieldwork, and I'm pretty dubious about the chances of DNA sequencing from this source: My friend Charlie tried to isolate DNA from one of those Siberian frozen mammoths and just got a load of bacterial sequence...mind you, that was in the late eighties. So you never know, but it's bloody fragile stuff, that nucleic acid...

Comment

Apparently only certain genetic proteins survived, not entire DNA sequences.

Comment

Perhaps the big part of the news is that somebody discovered that if you crack open the bones, there might after all be something in there. There are quite a lot of bones availble for cracking of different extinct species out there!
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
            Perhaps the big part of the news is that somebody discovered that if you crack open the bones, there might after all be something in there. There are quite a lot of bones availble for cracking of different extinct species out there!
            Agreed. Since that discovery, they've found soft tissues in a couple other T-rexes and a Hadrosaur. One palentologist was quoted as saying something to the effect of "the good stuff is on the inside."

Comment

And, anyway, would he re-record "Electric Warrior"? Bad move!
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                ...if they have found actual "meat" then my head might blow off in amazement.
                I'm no scientitst, but what they found sure looks meaty...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7285683/

Mmmmmmmmmm, beefy!

Comment

Finger-lickin' good! :lol:
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                  X