Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sabbath is Conan; Zeppelin is Lord of the Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panopticon
    Originally posted by HawkLord
    Are Manowar from America?
    Oh yes, New York originally.
    Thought so. Most power metal is usually from Scandinavia and that.

Comment

I don't know if that's true. Most "Black Metal", which is a particular sub-genre focused on Satanism and a lo-fi thrash aesthetic comes from those realms. American thrash has tended more towards "Death Metal" which attempts to be less image centered. Metallica rose out of that movement long ago now, and Man-o-War were at it even before them.

Sepultura is a mighty powerful metal band from Brazil, and Voivod are Canadian!
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

agrees totally--Conan is very metal. all that long-haired, leather-and-spikes and weapons and machismo and tough chicks and all... *ssiiiigh*

ManoWar doesn't count for me, though. They feel more like paraody. sorry, ManoWar fans....

as an aside... the lead singer for Iron Maiden is a very brainy fella. he also had the long hair and the ehm... not tall stature... of Conan. Oh that Bruce. Anyway. One of his nicknames was Conan the Librarian...

*make my heart beat* :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by dead-air
          I'm fine with Zeppelin being Tolkein
          Hell I'm not!

Zeppelin positively radiate originality, Tolkien owes too much to his influences

Zepplin are better at being Tolkien than Tolkien anyway! Listen to the "the battle of Evermore", then read the bit in the third LOTR book its about, see who evokes the feeling best!!

As to American thrash God Bless Anthrax, for hell, just being Anthrax. You know, when I think of them and Nina simone I kinda like the states ;)

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think all Manowar songs are supposed to be taken seriously I mean "blow your speakers" and "fighting the world" you can agree with, but things like "demons whip" and the awfull voice piece "warriors prayer" I can't believe they're suppposed to be interpreted without a comic florish.
          \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think all Manowar songs are supposed to be taken seriously I mean "blow your speakers" and "fighting the world" you can agree with, but things like "demons whip" and the awfull voice piece "warriors prayer" I can't believe they're suppposed to be interpreted without a comic florish.
            I think most bands of that genre arent perhaps 100% serious. At least, I hope so!

Comment

Working...
            X