Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Be careful, the fates do listen . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful, the fates do listen . . .

I'm not sure where to start . . .

You know how you will say stuff sometimes that you may not mean /literally/ and yet . . . somehow, someday, there comes a time when your are put to the test on words spoken in a moment of poor judgement?

Well that's what happened to me. Now some of you may not understand this but maybe some of you will. There is nothing purer then the love for a car. It's hard to explain and even harder to live through sometimes. When I got my Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino it was the acheivement of a lifelong dream that one can not put into words. In an offhanded way, and in a bad attempt to try and get across just how much that vehicle meant to me I said once that I would throw myself between my 'Striped Tomato' and danger to keep it from getting damaged, do anything it took to keep him from getting damaged. Yea Hmm mmm . . .

Yesterday started out like any other boring day around here . . . until I ran out of toilet paper!!! Ok now we are on a mission from God. I got in Zebra3 and decided while I was out I would check the mail and then head to the store for some groceries and ... toilet paper :oops: 8)

After I checked the mail, I turned out onto the highway and what do I see about 1/4 a mile down but a full grown Gopher Tortoise. These are endangered and he's in the middle of the two lanes terrified. I pull into a turn around and go back to get him off the road. I've done this a lot before so its no biggie, just a typical turtle rescue (though what a valuable turtle needing rescuing-!!).

I throw Zebra3 in park and go out to the turtle. I'm waiting for traffic to go by...they see him, see me, and luckily people are trying to avoid him...now my car is about 25 feet behind me...and from behind I hear **THUNNK**

I snap a look back and see....my Striped Tomato taking off in reverse!!!! I was like 'THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!!' and the foot race began. Tripped, lost a shoe, made it around the door, I was SO close (hand on the wheel, lifting a foot toward the brake pedal), but he was speeding up (it was not level ground) and the door caught me, knocked me over, then the car RAN over me (the driver's front tire caught the side of my right leg and shoulder, rocker panel, back of fender and door caught everything else) and once I fought my way out from half under him I scrambled back to my feet and was still trying to reach him but stopped when he hit the pavement. There was a truck stopping about 3 carlengths away from him and cars stopping in the other lane. It was bumper to bumper traffic and everyone stopped nice and calm and just waited. My attempt to stop him actually angled him just right so instead of straight he started to curve and over to the other side of the road he went.

On the other side of the highway after about a 7 foot wide shoulder is a steep ravine at the edge of some marshy type ground and I watched my car literally disappear over the edge. I'm standing there just O_O and fully expecting to hear a crash but a couple of seconds later the cars tail end comes up about 40 feet to my left and the incline stopped him.

So now, while traffic stopped for my car, no one would stop to let me to the car LOL but two vehicles pulled over by him and are getting out to help. I see the Tomato's not moving so I figure what the hell, I might as well finish what started, turned to go back for the turtle and....someone hit him...........so I walked out and moved it to the side of the road then made it to my car. The drivers door was open the whole time this went on and between it catching some brambles and the incline thats what stopped him and he's just sitting there idling in reverse.

One of the people who stopped was a guy in a truck who hooked up a rope and pulled me out without me even asking. And man this guy was good. I was steering him back out (he was sitting at a real funky angle... fair chance he might have rolled had the door not been open) and I never felt it when he put the tension to the rope. Once that was done he refused any compensation saying that he had watched that entire thing (and everything I had gone through to try and stop it) and couldn't drive by without getting me out.

After grateful thank you's from me and good byes we all part ways. I went ahead to the grocery store and there started pulling out all the pounds of vegetation stuck all in the door hinges and fender seam and everywhere and as I'm walking around inspecting him I'm finding NOT one dent, ding, scuff, scratch. NOTHING. His door hinges weren't even sprung. He's as perfect now as he was before he took off on his solo adventure. @[email protected] Absolutely amazing.

As for me?

Well . . . my pride and joy kicked my ass LOL Certainly not my way to experience two tons of Gran Torino O_o. Nothings broken (I didn't get but a fraction of that two tons and that was more then enough for me!!) but I've got the worst bruise I never thought possible on my right thigh. Right knee is fried (bone bruise) where it slammed into the rocker panel and actually scuffed off some paint (so I guess he did get /one/ mark after all)
    When it was quite evident I was being run over I protected my face and stomach and fought myself away. Add a right wrenched shoulder, various and assorted bruises, contusions, and pulled muscles, but I'm ok.

And yea .... maybe a lot of you think I'm nuts (I've stopped run away cars before, though /not/ mine so it wasn't like this was something 'new') but my attempt to stop him actually slowed him down and angled him in such a way that no one got hit, or hit him. Granted I can think of better ways to have done that besides my BODY but sometimes the fates take you literally eh? As much as that car means to me and with all those people there was no way I could just stand there and watch this happen and not try to stop it.

I've felt and seen that car from more angles then anyone ever should with their car and words can never describe just what I felt when he took off onto the road out of control, then over into the ravine and all I could do was stand there and watch helpless on what I was sure was the destruction of one of the two most important things in my life.

Next time I hear someone say they would do /anything/ to save their car, they love it that much, I'm going to tell them to be careful what they say . . . it just might come true. And next time I hear someone say they've gone through hell with their car, they better have something to beat that.

And now I'm being razzed about it and have a new nickname; Speedbump >_<
    Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

What a tale! :D Praise Arioch for men in trucks with tow ropes. I owe everything to one when I inadvertently drove a minibus full of people with physical and learning disabilities into some quicksand once with the tide coming in (don't ask me how :oops: ). I was literally on the verge of a nervous breakdown until one came along. Will never make sarcastic comments about 4WDs again.

As it was, I just had to explain when I got back why the bus's tail-lift was short-circuited, why it stank like the great Cthulhu Himself, and why there was a long trail of seaweed from the bumper. Phew!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Wow, Starscream. I mean... wow. What a messed-up story. I'm so glad you (and the Tomato) are okay. And I don't think it's silly that you tried to stop the car; I'd have done the same thing. There were many reasons for such an action and we tend to do things like that without stopping to rationalize it all out first. Indeed, there just isn't the time.

What's truly important is that it seems you have learned a few things from this. The experience was worthwhile because 1. you survived it and 2. you're doing the intelligent thing and taking from it what you can.

Thanks for sharing your tale. And it's good to see you around these parts again.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Mikey_C ___ OMG! I think I would have freaked out on that one!! I've never been near quicksand but have seen it in movies when I was a kid and that stuff just scares me. I'm glad you and those kids made it out ok! And yes, guys in trucks with ropes and chains are good things sometimes. ^_^ It would be interesting to interview people and see just how many rescues guys in trucks like that make during any given month because of 'adventurous' people like /us/ 8)

PsychicWarVeteran ___ :P yea I guess wow is about all you can say when you first read that. LOL I think the whole rest of that day I was 8) on the outside but I was 8O on the inside. And oh yea, I learned a few things in that adventure, least of which is e m e r g e n c y brake on next animal rescue! And I'm glad me and Tomato are ok too. This all happened on a monday afternoon (yea talk about the definition of a 'monday' eh? :P) though when I posted it that 'yesterday' didn't time right. I'm healing up pretty fast actually. Of course I got neighbors that are filling me with horror stories on what will happen if I don't rush to the hospital cause of that bruise on my leg. I mean its bad. Its a 205 60R14 mark >_< (yea my Striped Tomato has smallish tires on him for right now. I shudder to think how bad my leg would be had I had the 215 (or 225) 60 R14s on his front end instead!) but its healing up really fast and feel fine. I'm keeping an eye on it in case something goes wrong.

And yea, so many reasons to try to stop that car when it all happened and no time to think it out is so true. I've gotten the full gambit of opinions regarding what I did. Anything from 'how stupid are you for stopping to rescue a stupid turtle to . . . what were you thinking trying to stop your car to . . . why didn't you jump in him instead and stop him?' Well yea, jumping in him was an option but considering I had no time to look for traffic at that moment, I'm really going to hop into something that might be about smashed? Course had he been hit, as close as I was, I would have gotten it by debris anyway, but you don't think of stuff like that when something like this is happening; as you said, just no time to. Then I've gotten people asking if I managed to save the turtle after all. And when I say someone did hit him they are like 'that is so wrong after all THAT and it died' :? The people who stopped to help me thought I was nuts when I turned back around to get the turtle. I was like 'Guys, my cars stuck (thank Arioch) . . . he's not moving . . . after all this, Im finishing what I stopped for in the first place, OK?'

I guess it is a good thing my car's as brightly colored as he is. It sure got the attention of oncoming traffic :P and if nothing else, I proved that the Replicas ARE as OBNOXIOUS as the one(s) on the TV show *facepalms*

And yea I've posted a couple of times that I'm coming back more regularly and then disappear again. Sometimes there's not a lot to comment on for me so I end up lurking or something. I really like this forum and stuff so I guess I need to start making things to talk about :P

But for now just sign me, Zebra3's Chew-Toy . . . :lol:
        Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

I notice you keep referring to your car as 'he' instead of 'it.' That right there betrays your great love for that hunk of metal.

And as far as annoying TV cars go, at least you're not driving a General Lee replica! :lol: I'd have to find you and take a hammer to that blasted dixie-horn!

Speaking of Starsky and Hutch, what ever happened to Paul Michael Glaser?

Ahh... he's been chairperson of the Pediatric AIDS Foundation (now renamed after his late wife as The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation) for the last decade!

http://www.pmgwe.org/Bio1F.html

Wonder if he still has the car?
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by Starscream
            Mikey_C ___ OMG! I think I would have freaked out on that one!! I've never been near quicksand but have seen it in movies when I was a kid and that stuff just scares me.
            Quicksand might have been a bit of poetic license but it was what it felt like. The bus was getting deeper and leaning to one side and the waves were coming in 8O Scary enough for me! It changed my view of SUVs alright...
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
              I notice you keep referring to your car as 'he' instead of 'it.' That right there betrays your great love for that hunk of metal.
              Oh that is very true. My mothers best friend was so happy for me when I finally got my Striped Tomato. She commented on how much my 10 year old self would just go on and on and on about that car. She said that car was my first love. Maybe thats too freaky for some people to understand but I think its true. I've always referred to my cars as he but I guess its a bit different with that one.

And as far as annoying TV cars go, at least you're not driving a General Lee replica! :lol: I'd have to find you and take a hammer to that blasted dixie-horn!
              I used to be so into Dodge and especially Chargers (I actually still have my 72 Charger). I almost bought a General Lee replica once but I'm not into competition orange and that rebel flag. That and I didn't care for the taillight design. I owned a 68 Charger for several years and their taillights are, in my opinion, much better then what they switched to in 69. . . . Now granted, my favorite year GranTorino is actually 1972 (and I owned one for a few years) not 1974-76 BUT we are talking Zebra3 here so that more then ok to live with my second fav body style of GranTorino :P ;)

Speaking of Starsky and Hutch, what ever happened to Paul Michael Glaser?

Ahh... he's been chairperson of the Pediatric AIDS Foundation (now renamed after his late wife as The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation) for the last decade!

http://www.pmgwe.org/Bio1F.html
              He's doing ok and remarried finally I believe. He was also in a TV movie not too long ago and was actually the bad guy for a change. He's doing pretty good I think for the most part too. I know he and David Soul (Hutch) are not too happy about that disaster of a parody movie about S&H from last year. David wants to get as far away from S&H as he can but both of them and Antonio Fargis (Huggy) still hang around together a fair bit and rumor had it that they were thinking of trying to do a proper S&H movie after what happened with that one. Or at least take a bigger part in the script reviewing for the next one (as thats rumored to be happening)

Wonder if he still has the car?
              Paul actually despised that car. He hates GranTorinos and has made several comments are what he thinks of them in interviews (least of which was the fact that he always tried to wreck the car . . . he said it was a good day at work when he smashed the Torino). He's called them slow moving pigs 8O and its like ...no no no no....they are big and heavy but sluggish and slow they are not. Ya just gotta work with them and not against them. ;) For an inanimate object these are some vehicles with some serious presence and personalities and everyone -- I mean every Torino owner I've ever talked to -- has said the same thing. Paul was also the one who coined the term 'Striped Tomato' The first day of shooting the pilot ep, he and David walked outside with the producer and props pulls up in the Gran Torino. The producer told Paul that was his character's car and he walked around it not happy and literally said "This thing looks like a Striped Tomato." and I think by the 3rd episode that term was 'officially' coined for the car. That is really true too. Paul also did over 90% of the driving in that show too!!!! He's that good behind the wheel! Every once in a while the stunt coordinator would do a driving scene if it involved some really hair-brained stunt but 9 out of 10 times when that Tomato's ripping it up at any direction or powersliding it was Paul Michael Glasor behind the wheel.

Also I think maybe another reason why Paul didn't like the car (David Soul did as far as I know) was the CAR got MORE fan mail then the actors!!!!!! :lol: :lol: The phone calls to the studio and the mail was so bad they almost gave it second billing on the opening credits starting from the second season on!!!!! I read that in a scanned internal studio memo on a Striped Tomato site not too long ago!!!

Comment

Working...
              X