Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

PWV's DID YOU KNOW? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWV's DID YOU KNOW? Thread

DID YOU KNOW that one year ago today, PsychicWarVeteran joined MWM? That's right. Says so right there under my avatar! March 03, 2004. That's a year ago today.* Woo-hoo!

*May not apply to those of you in drastically different time zones, which is fine. It's my anniversary afterall, not yours.

In celebration, I have started a DID YOU KNOW thread to showcase my love of useless bits of information. Feel free to join in. Or not.

I have a pretty sweet one to start off with...

DID YOU KNOW that Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by a Predator, an Alien and a Terminator?
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Did you know that the movie Predator featured two future State Governers as well as a gubernatorial candidate?
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Did you know that when a man and a women engage in sexual intercourse there is a possibility that a baby may be created? :lol:

Comment

Did you know that unprotected intercourse could result in the tranmission of HIV as well as other sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Did you know that Seth Green is the only actor to link the Buffy movie and TV series... he was cut out of the film, but apparently his image is still on the box somewhere...
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

According to Reg Smeeton ...

Did you know, there is no proper name for the back of the knee? :lol:

(But, there is: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rob/bonzofaq.htm#17 )

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne
              Did you know that when a man and a women engage in sexual intercourse there is a possibility that a baby may be created?
              Originally posted by Berry
              Did you know that unprotected intercourse could result in the tranmission of HIV as well as other sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
              If you guys think these are useless bits of information, I wish you'd reconsider. :lol:

DID YOU KNOW there is no English word that rhymes with Orange, Silver, or Purple?

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran

DID YOU KNOW there is no English word that rhymes with Orange, Silver, or Purple?
                Did you know that Michael Swanwick claims he found a word that rhymes with orange?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc

Did you know that Michael Swanwick claims he found a word that rhymes with orange?
                  DID YOU KNOW that although that seems to be the heady claim, NO ONE can seem to inform us what that word actually is? The best I can find is "the man who found at last a rhyme, however tortured, for the word 'Orange.'" Well, that's very nice, but if anyone thinks that's enough to get people to read Cigar-Box Faust, they're deluding themselves.

It's probably a rhyme along the same lines of quality as the one by that country-music bloke who tried to rhyme 'bin Laden" with "forgotten."

Comment

Did you know that in the show Maid Marian and her Merry Men, Robin Hood wonders whether his life would ever be made into a movie. Rabies asks if he could be in it. The actor who played Rabies, Howard Lew Lewis, did in fact appear in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves as Hal.
                    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Did you know that Audrey Hepburn was only given the role of Holly Golightly (in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's) after Marilyn Monroe turned it down. Monroe was the preferred choice of Truman Capote, who wrote the book on which the film is based... although he didn't have anything personal against Hepburn, apparently.

Comment

DID YOU KNOW that rats lack the ability to vomit, which is why they are so suseptible to poisons?

Comment

For those into hagiography:

DID YOU KNOW that Saint Denis is the patron saint of Paris, as well as of syphilitics?

I've sometimes wondered how that came about. 8O I suppose I could look it up.

LSN

Comment

I believe that St. George also has something to do with "social diseases", but that's not my "DYK..."

Did you know that resting polar bears are invisible to infra-red photography? All to do with their excellent insulation, apparently. I'm amazed that they didn't use a polar bear for Metal Gear Solid, considering how good he would be at avoiding detection... probably not as good with guns though. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Doc

DID YOU KNOW that although that seems to be the heady claim, NO ONE can seem to inform us what that word actually is? The best I can find is "the man who found at last a rhyme, however tortured, for the word 'Orange.'" Well, that's very nice, but if anyone thinks that's enough to get people to read Cigar-Box Faust, they're deluding themselves.

It's probably a rhyme along the same lines of quality as the one by that country-music bloke who tried to rhyme 'bin Laden" with "forgotten."
                              :lol:

I like Swanwick a lot, and it didn't provoke me into buying Cigar-Box Faust.

Did you know that the settlement in the infamous, multi-million dollar McDonald's hot coffee suit was reduced, on appeal, to a relatively small six figure sum, which mostly covered medical expenses, which included skin grafts. Yes, skin grafts.

Comment

Working...
                              X