Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stand Up For Comedy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Up For Comedy...

Dredging a post up from the archives (hurrah for the "search" function):

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    Dee, you crack me up. I think you missed your calling as a comedian.
    Well, apparently my stand-up career might not be quite as dead as the lack of pulse implied... a friend of mine has roped me in to organizing a comedy night at a local pub. We haven't met with the landlord whose bright idea it was, but we're both pretty excited about it anyway. As the "comperes", my friend has decided that we'll both need twenty minutes' worth of material, while the other acts (yet to be recruited) will only have ten minutes! This is fine for him, as he's been gigging since his college days, and always has his guitar and song parodies to pad things out with, but I haven't set foot on stage since... er... the year 2000. Still, I have some plans, and some jokes... and apparently we'll get free drinks, so it's probably worth a roll of the dice. I might even get brush my hair on the night! 8O

Anyway, this all got me thinking about my favourite stand-ups, because I'll have to dig out the tapes now and steal their moves. Top of my roll of honour would have to be Sandra Bernhard. I know a lot of people find her annoying, and I totally understand why, but I still think she's a fantastic comedian (I even enjoyed Hudson Hawk, although it isn't much of a movie). Second would probably be Bill Hicks, although obviously it's hard to maintain an interest in his work when there was so little of it recorded before his untimely death. Once upona time I would have mentioned Eddie Izzard too, but he's more of an actor these days, and not an especially charismatic one at that.

Of course Jerico would have thrown George Carlin in to the mix, and I do enjoy the material I've heard of his... although it's all on vinyl and therefore a little bit dated.

Does anyone else want to praise some funny people? If not I may start filling the thread with rants about Comedy, and that really won't be fun for anyone...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

I quite enjoyed the comedy routines of Robin Williams. I am also strangely enamoured with the comedy of Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx, which is not the cleanest humor around. I also have a ton of George Carlin MP3s on my comp. More recently I've found enjoyment from Chris Rock's work (though he does seem to rehash some of Carlin's political edge) and Margaret Cho.
    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Carlin is Great. If you get a chance check out his CD "You are all diseased". Its hysterical.

Comment

Steve Martin. Let's Get Small is a gut-buster. His stand-up back in the day was tops. Same with Robin Williams and Carlin.

As much as I hate to admit it, Bill "Here's Yer Sign" Engvall is a guilty pleasure.

And, of course, I tune in to MWM daily for the comedy stylings of DeeCrowSeer.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Good luck to you Dee.

Comment

Bill Hicks

Bill Bailey

Eddie Izzard

Comment

After giving it some thought, I've come to the conclusion that there is very little point trying to emulate any of my comedy icons... perhaps if I get demoted to a "turn", then I can be a little more confrontational and/or rant-y, but if I'm supposed to compere for an hour I probably want to keep the audience on my side (so, it's probably a bad idea to pull a Bill Hicks and repeatedly tell everyone how much I hate them ;) ). I'm not sure how famous Jonathan Ross is around the world, but I suppose David Letterman might be another example or the type of role I see myself having to fill. I won't try to be the star of the show, just the chap who keeps things rolling along... that doesn't mean I can't try to be funny, it's just means that I can't sneer too much.

So no primal scream therapy for Dee, but I made a comment a while ago about performing on stage as a way of flirting with an entire room, and that might well be the angle I go for. I don't really have the bile to be a crusading or satirical stand-up. I can rant away happily on the page, but when I'm eye-to-eye with an audience I think I prefer to be a little more accomodating. Also, I know my "co-host" will corner the market in student-y musical comedy, pop-culture references and animal-related surrealism, so there's no point me trying to compete on that level.

Having said all that, please keep the names coming!

Comment

Perhaps you could wear a funny hat? Just try not to be paraphrasing any little britain sketches, you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kid
                  Perhaps you could wear a funny hat?
                  I'll have to see if I still have my "sailor" hat from when I was in the Sea Scouts... actually I could wear my whole scout uniform, and do some sort of hilarious nautical comedy? :)

Originally posted by kid
                  Just try not to be paraphrasing any little britain sketches, you'll be fine.
                  I'm not really a big fan of that show, so I doubt I'll be quoting any of their stuff anytime soon... award-winning though their material may be!

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    Originally posted by kid
                    Perhaps you could wear a funny hat?
                    I'll have to see if I still have my "sailor" hat from when I was in the Sea Scouts... actually I could wear my whole scout uniform, and do some sort of hilarious nautical comedy? :)
                    Depends. .. Does it still fit you? If it's too small then that could be uncomfortable wearing it for several hours. Saying that, you could always get some of your friends to dress up as pirates and have a battle.

Paul Merton, Paul Merton, Paul Merton.

And Andy Hamilton. He's great.

Comment

Originally posted by kid
                      Depends. .. Does it still fit you? If it's too small then that could be uncomfortable wearing it for several hours.
                      If anything, it will be too big, since I used to be oh-so-very fat as a child, and am now much slimmer. On the other hand, the jumper was the itchiest thing ever knitted, so I might have to have a rethink.

Originally posted by kid
                      Saying that, you could always get some of your friends to dress up as pirates and have a battle.
                      My friends and I have all (at one time or another) been paid mediocre money to play pirates at a local aquarium, so that's a definite possibility.

Originally posted by kid
                      Paul Merton, Paul Merton, Paul Merton.
                      Have to agree, he's excellent on HIGNFY. Have you ever seen Merton's sketch show at all? It was shown on Channel 4 once, and never repeated... some time in the 90s, I think...

Comment

Just to give you an insight into how my corner of the multiverse works, the pub in question decided that it would rather go out of business than play host to our comedy! Cowards!!!

Ah well, lucky I have the highly-profitable cartoons to fall back on...

Comment

Though not strictly comedians, David Cross and Bob Odenkirk.
                          If you haven't you should check out "Mr. Show with Bob and David".
                          It's pretty much all sketch comedy, but still some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by liar_on_high
                            Though not strictly comedians, David Cross and Bob Odenkirk. If you haven't you should check out "Mr. Show with Bob and David".
                            I haven't seen that, but as a Janeane Garofalo fan I did pick up the DVDs of Ben Stiller's sketch show, which Odenkirk was also a key player in... and I have to agree. He's a very funny guy, and a very good writer. I think he also had something to do with Tenacious D, but I haven't seen enough of their shows to comment really.

Good call!

Comment

Working...
                            X