Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Word of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of the Day

In the interest of education and entertainment I'm starting the WOrd of the Day thread. The object is to post a interesting word and the definition.
    I'm starting with my favorite word:
    callipygian
    1: Having beautifully proportioned buttocks.
    2: adj : pertaining to or having finely developed buttocks; "the quest for the callipygian ideal" [syn: callipygous]

PS.: You don't really need to wait a day to post your own word if you don't want to.

Just learned this word today, in fact...

moue n. (pronounced 'moo') - A small grimage; a pout.

"'What if the castle is attacked again? Remember what happened the last time you went away.' She made a small, accusatory moue."
    -- Gregory Maguire, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Floccinaucinihilipilification
      "The act or habit of esteeming or describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by said means."

Just love the sound of that one.
      Is it the longest word in the OED...who knows?

Comment

I'm sorry for interrupting but my poor English has made me ask this: Can they be found in dictionaries or they're just made-up words?
        http://soundandclouds.blogspot.com/

Comment

All three words so far are real English words, seda. Stupid words, but words none-the-less.

Comment

Howzabout:

Widdershins: in a left-handed, wrong, or contrary direction; counterclockwise.

speaking as a Southpaw, there ain't nothing wrong with a left-handed direction!!
            Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

This is like Call My Bluff (do they have that in the States?) or How To Improve Your Word Power in the Reader's Digest 8)

concupiscence - lust, sexual desire
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

desquamate intr.v. (pronounced 'DES-kwuh-mayt') - To shed, peel, or come off in scales (primarily used referring to skin).

Ew.

Comment

I've always liked the word eldritch, cuz I'm weird. 8O

eldritch adj. Strange or unearthly; eerie.

Comment

I have to admit to being a fan of the word 'sempiternal'(eternal, everlasting).

Comment

Have we had DELIQUESCENT
                      The act of searching for a really good cornbeef sandwich ?\
                      Very popular with horror writers, at least when I read them:
                      liquefying in the air.
                      Deliquescence -- to melt and become liquid by absorbing moisture, as certain salts.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        Have we had DELIQUESCENT
                        The act of searching for a really good cornbeef sandwich ?\
                        Very popular with horror writers, at least when I read them:
                        liquefying in the air.
                        Deliquescence -- to melt and become liquid by absorbing moisture, as certain salts.
                        Also to become fluid or soft on maturing, as certain fungi. :D

My word for today:

mellifluous adj. (pronounced 'meh-LIF-floo-us') - Smooth and sweet; flowing with sweetness or honey.

Comment

My word of the day is...

smorgasbord n.
                          1. A buffet meal featuring a varied number of dishes.
                          2. A varied collection.

Comment

surreptitious: Obtained, done, or made by clandestine or stealthy means.

Ive always liked that one.

Comment

Piscivorous

"Feeding on fish"
                              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
                              X