Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Knitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knitting

Ok - so this is going to sound odd. But in the last few months I had joined a knitting group, mainly to give support to my best friend Christine. At first, I wasn't really wanting to do it, but I am willing to try anything. So anyways, I had remarked at one time how it would be neat to make a scarf like the one Tom Baker used in Doctor Who. Christine immeditately thought this was a good idea. When I went to celebrate new years with her, I found out she had looked up the patterns (I found there was about 5 different scarves used in the show, 4 of which where the multi-coloured ones). She took a liking to the first one from the 12th season (the first Baker season), and proceeded to buy me (for my Christmas gift) the yarn and needles I need to make it.

The thing is. The scarf is 17 feet long (15 feet plus 1 foot tassles at each end) by 1 foot wide. In stitches and rows this is 60 stitches wide by 2080 rows (1040 if you count rows as bumps). This works out to 124 800 stitches. I am going to be working on this for a while. I started just after New Years. As of an hour ago, when I stopped, I had 26 rows (13 bumps) done. Which is 1560 stiches. On the plus side that is more than 1 per cent. Still, I am going to be knitting for quite a while. Of course, I have wanted a Dr Who scarf for 20 years, so I have sufficient motivation to knit it. I am aiming to have it done before spiring, but I should at least have it ready for next winter.

Unlike the scarf from the show, this one will be all acrylic. This means it will be soft and easier to maintain. It will still be a pain to wash. Heh heh.
    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Kommando, you have to post a picture of it here when its done. Only another 123,000 stitches to go. :)

Comment

I wonder if any of Mr M's books have been adapted into knitwear before? I'm not sure how I'd react to a Chaos symbol jumper/sweater... surely the very idea of following a pattern is anathema to Chaos?
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Well - I wouldn't exactly call it a hard and fast rule, as that would be against the current of chaos as well. Chaos can follow a pattern if it feels like it.
        Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

TH White (The Once and Future King) was a great knitter - just in case you're looking for a precedent in the world of fantasy writers!
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Cool - I'll have to pass that on to my kntting group.

Comment

Hey Adlerian, what does the Koran say about knitting? Are we in danger?
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Thanks! I think these are just the things I use to distract me from what I should really be thinking about - right now an essay on industrial relations methodology. My mind naturally likes to flutter around like a butterfly, picking up sweet nectar wherever it settles. It hates having to focus. :x
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                  Thanks! I think these are just the things I use to distract me from what I should really be thinking about - right now an essay on industrial relations methodology. My mind naturally likes to flutter around like a butterfly, picking up sweet nectar wherever it settles. It hates having to focus. :x
                  It's called "intellectual grazing," and we all do it. If we weren't interested
                  in words, ideas, and other novel pieces of intellectual jackdawery, we
                  probably wouldn't be on this forum. There are times, of course, when one
                  must settle down and get to work. A pity! :lol:

"He had a mind like a steel trap: everything that got caught in it got
                  mangled..."

(Not to refer to Mikey_C. I certainly feel that way sometimes, though.
                  And it's bad when virtually everything that comes ones way gets "caught"
                  there. )

LSN

Comment

Well, I politely described myself as a "butterfly". I could easily have referred to a big fat bluebottle which spews up whatever shit it's already been gorging itself with over its latest snack, turns it into a nasty gooey mess, then sucks it all back in and ruins it for everyone else. Yum! :P

Comment

Haven't we been here before? :roll:

Comment

Well, there's quite a few women in my knitting group, obviously. Though being winter, they would hardly be considered scantily clad. Though if I have to deal with a house ful of them once the scarf is complete, then I consider a jihad to be worth the price. I'll have some drinks ready when they come.

Comment

:lol: Yeah - I was just going with the flow there. Trying to rationalize myself that long scarf equates to a scantily clad female companion magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                            Actually, I can think of nothing in the Koran that is anti-knitting, so relax.
                            Phew! Thanks, Adlerian!
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                            X