Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Forbidden Planet here I come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbidden Planet here I come!

Even if I do nearly all my book-buying over the net, I'm going to be back in the UK for 24 hours this weekend and can never resist diving into FP for an hour (or three).
    I'll be there at 2pm if anyone wants to meet near centrepoint for a capuccino and scones...

So on Saturday, as the birthday wishes for MM started rolling in, I was in Forbidden Planet buying the 2 Oona novels and the End of Time omnibus.
    I tried to get a discount as their best ever customer - I'd had breakfast in Italy, caught a plane and landed in London at midday and by 1:45 was already queuing at their cash desk with an armful of books! They laughed but no prize.
    I also bought David Brin's "River of Time". The cover features a spaceship bearing the arrows of chaos...

Comment

Re: Forbidden Planet here I come!

Originally posted by DiGiMac
      Even if I do nearly all my book-buying over the net, I'm going to be back in the UK for 24 hours this weekend and can never resist diving into FP for an hour (or three).
      I'll be there at 2pm if anyone wants to meet near centrepoint for a capuccino and scones...
      What a shame Digimac, I have only just read this post today, so it is now far too late!
      I would have loved to meet up for a coffee and scones, and gone to FP. If you plan another visit to London, post your plans early, and I will be there!
      But I am sure you had fun regardless. :D

Comment

It was a rather last-minute thing (surprise visit for the old man's 75th) but if I pop back again I'll try to give you more notice.

Getting to New Oxford Street and finding a boarded-up ex-shop was a nasty surprise until someone in another shop told me they'd moved to Shaftsbury Avenue.

Comment

Huh, I'm a huge Brin fan, and had never noticed those arrows on the cover of The River of Time. Thanks for pointing them out.

Strangely, I've got a copy of the original Forbidden Planet movie checked out from the library on DVD sitting here on my desk just waiting to be watched. Perhaps tonight is the night...
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Just watched that DVD of Forbidden Planet.

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

I'd actually forgotten that I'd already seen it sometime in my childhood, probably on t.v. or something. It's still quite entertaining and you can definitely see the roots of Star Trek in there.

One of the strongest elements is the unsettling electronic soundtrack, purported to be the first all-electronic musical soundtrack in film history.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue97/sound.html

I'd sure like to get a copy of that!
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Working...
            X